2022 Draft Talk

swede700

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Jacksonville drafting Travon Walker first overall is gonna be…

…something

I mean….. I get it kind of. Baalke going with the huge athletic outlier lineman. Little production…..

he seems to like players like that…. Armsteed, Buckner…

Another reason I’m not 100% surprised is just the top end talent of this class. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I mean….. I get it kind of. Baalke going with the huge athletic outlier lineman. Little production…..

he seems to like players like that…. Armsteed, Buckner…

Another reason I’m not 100% surprised is just the top end talent of this class. 

But, is he really an outlier? 

Walker had a great combine performance, although he doesn’t exactly have the tape to match it. Meanwhile, Hutchinson also had an impressive combine, even outperforming Walker in the agility drills, and he has tape that makes you drool. 

I get that Baalke has a strong opinion on the importance of arm length, like with Aldon Smith, Buckner, and Armstead. But Smith and Buckner had the tape to warrant a top 10 selection. I certainly can’t say Walker does.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

But, is he really an outlier? 

Walker had a great combine performance, although he doesn’t exactly have the tape to match it. Meanwhile, Hutchinson also had an impressive combine, even outperforming Walker in the agility drills, and he has tape that makes you drool. 

I get that Baalke has a strong opinion on the importance of arm length, like with Aldon Smith, Buckner, and Armstead. But Smith and Buckner had the tape to warrant a top 10 selection. I certainly can’t say Walker does.

I'd say these are the kind of picks that get a GM fired, but Baalke seems like he's made of teflon. 

In the end, they're the Jaguars. Being a terribly run football team is in their DNA. I don't know that we'll ever see exactly what Trevor Lawrence is capable of. They'll be better coached this season, but I feel like they're going to swing and miss today. 

9 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Lions getting Hutchinson is not ideal. Good thing they don't have a QB.

We made it through the 90s when the Lions had guys the likes of Chris Spielman (who was a beast), Luther Elliss and Robert Porcher (whose equivalent today is Akiem Hicks...aka our nemesis)...we'll be fine even if they get Hutchinson.  And even so, I'd be just fine seeing the Bears at the bottom of the division for awhile now.  It's boring seeing the Lions at the bottom every year, I'd like them to be somewhat competitive.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If Walker goes 1st overall, do the Lions pass on Aiden Hutchinson and draft Kayvon Thibodeaux with the 2nd pick? 

Some of the draft pundits, including some of the Lions’ beat writers think so. Interesting. 

West coast front office is the leading thing for that. Fans would be very upset I’m sure

Kwesi: 

“In the NFL, it’s sort of somewhere between the NBA dynamic, where special players do matter. But you’ve got a big team in football, and you’ve got depth needed and you’ve got things you’ve got to fill out. So I think volume is really important.

Now, I would push that, whatever chart anybody’s using, there is no amount of seventh-round picks that would equal the value of a first-round pick. You could do 1,000 seventh-round picks, and that’s not going to equal the value, right? Because there is a specialness that comes with that first-round pick that isn’t replaceable very easily. And so those are things you’ve kind of got to back and forth and think of in your mind.”

https://thevikingage.com/2022/04/26/minnesota-vikings-kwesi-adofo-mensah-shot-rick-spielman/?fbclid=IwAR1z_sCmskfU48tRV-WqYmOAGDPLBloo2moZhAzaKso0zJkVFDSIl_lOzFU