Change of Scenery For Aaron Rodgers

Shylo3716

While Rodgers has started to make the most noise, he isnt going to go just like Watson and Wilson didnt get moved. He may sit out but I see no reason for GB to move him at this point, and if he retires he has to cough up 20 mil, 10 this year and 10 next year that was in his signing bonus. If he sits out then he will collect game day fines and will not get his pay check. Unfortunately for him, GB holds all the cards at the moment and he has to either suck it up and play 1 more year or retire.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:00 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Latest? 2023 offseason when his contract expires.

Possible destinations; Broncos, Dolphins, Texans, Steelers......... Saints, Falcons.  

Are you thinking a Rodgers for Watson swap? Because I can't see Houston in the discussion...

This is coming from a Bears fan......I dont understand the narrative here, GB has more weapons than any of the teams they would be trading him to...have you guys seen Devonte Adams?? He legit reminds me of Julio Jones, their WR group in general is tall and fast, Bahktari is a top 3 LT and the rest of the OL is decent, their RB group is good too.

They dont go offense in the first round usually but im not understanding ESPN acting like they have nothing on offense. They legitimately need defensive help....the Jordan Love pick was the only insult, but even then, developing a young backup makes sense.....the crime is that it was 1st round and not like 3rd round guy

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 1:00 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Latest? 2023 offseason when his contract expires.

Possible destinations; Broncos, Dolphins, Texans, Steelers......... Saints, Falcons.  Probably somewhere in that order.  If the Packers do trade him AFC will be the priority if they can help it. 

Falcons? I don't see the Falcons being in on him at all. Matt Ryan is going to likely play out his contract. Likely signing an extension next year to push off some cap hit too.

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

Are you thinking a Rodgers for Watson swap? Because I can't see Houston in the discussion...

It's more about timing, Watson wanting out, his ongoing case hurting his trade value, a weak QB class in 2022 IMO, and the fact I don't think Rodgers is going anywhere until after the 2022 season.

While I do think there's some legit issues between Rodgers and the FO, I also think the media is making it bigger than it really is in the same way they did with Rodgers and McCarthy when they were saying Rodgers wanted out ~5 years ago.  I could be wrong (and as a Bears fan I really hope I am) but I don't see Rodgers going anywhere anytime soon. Will they eventually trade Rodgers....yes.  Gute almost has to at this point. He invested a 1st round pick for his replacement and they have yet to see what he can do while he's still under his rookie contract (which expires after the 2023). I could see the Packers moving on from Rodgers after 2022 in order to give Love a chance while he's still on the final year of his cheap rookie contract, but I don't think they trade him this year after the team just made NFCCG with him at the helm.

Anyhow, going back to how all of this affects the Texans/Watson and how all of this intertwines.

I'm just picturing a scenario in which Watson gets traded (or released depending on his case), but the Texans don't get a solid/good QB + a plethora of draft picks in return (like they would have prior to his case) so they have to settle with a good amount of draft capital and a 1yr stop-gap at QB instead.

This leaves the Texans with a good amount of capital and looking for a QB in the 2022 draft.  But because it's a weak class they decide to go BPA to build around the QB position instead (maybe take a mid-rd project), and work with another stop-gap for 2022 knowing Rodgers will be available in the off-season when they now have the ammo to make it happen.

I know people like to say Brady playing well into his 40s is unheard of but if there's one other QB who can break this stigma it's Rodgers. He's not married, has no kids so he has no real-life obligation to retire anytime soon. And say what you want about him but the man takes good care of his health and would be walking into a good situation. A team who have spent the last 2 years building talent around the QB position. I think it'd be a very intriguing to Rodgers.

(The riff with the FO and his case happening all at once was just bad timing for him because his options are limited right now.  I feel like alot of QB needy teams have moved on from the possible idea of getting Watson and already have good alternatives set in place that they feel good about moving forward (Niners, Jets, Bears) and others  may be scared away by his pending case.)

JMO is all.  I also wouldn't rule out him realizing this and staying with Houston either. We'll see.

On 5/10/2021 at 3:12 PM, scar988 said:

Falcons? I don't see the Falcons being in on him at all. Matt Ryan is going to likely play out his contract. Likely signing an extension next year to push off some cap hit too.

Admittedly, I juggled with the idea of adding the Falcons since I could very well see Ryan being one of the rare QBs who retire with the same team that drafted them.  I only listed the Falcons as a possibility because I could also see Ryan being one of those players who retire while he's at his best and not wait until his body declines and ultimately tells him he has to-- ala Brees/Rivers.  Which could be in a couple of years when Rodgers goes on the market after 2022.

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Admittedly, I juggled with the idea of adding the Falcons since I could very well see Ryan being one of the rare QBs who retire with the same team that drafted them.  I only listed the Falcons as a possibility because I could also see Ryan being one of those players who retire while he's at his best and not wait until his body declines and ultimately tells him he has to-- ala Brees/Rivers.  Which could be in a couple of years when Rodgers goes on the market after 2022.

Rodgers is 2 years older than Ryan. When Rodgers goes on the market, Ryan will still be under contract for one more year. When the Falcons replace Ryan, it will be with someone super young. Not Rodgers.

• Like 1