WFT Signs OT Charles Leno (1/$5M)

e16bball

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Broken in the FA thread by @ARTMONK HOF, but figured it deserved its own discussion now that he’s been officially inked.

My take is that it seems a little superfluous, with Lucas, Moses, and Cosmi already on the roster. But I suppose last year we ended up with our 4th OT (David Sharpe) taking meaningful snaps, and we weren’t even that banged up. So perhaps at this low price, it’s worth making sure we don’t get left in the lurch again. 

Not great news for either Cornelius Lucas or Saahdiq Charles. Lucas was looking at a season largely unchallenged as an LT starter, which is a fine way to get rich a year from now. Now it’s a full-on competition, and Leno certainly has the experience edge on him. I wasn’t nearly as impressed with Lucas as the advanced numbers said I should be — I thought he was fine, but I wasn’t remotely sold that he was playing at an elite level — so I’m not stunned to see them make a move here. Worst case scenario, it turns out the team and I are wrong about Lucas, and they wasted $5M on a safety net that they didn’t need. 

For Charles, I think this effectively marks the end of considering him a LT candidate. Drafting Cosmi and signing Leno, when you already have Lucas and Moses on the roster (in addition to Christian and Sharpe), is a pretty clear signal that you don’t consider Charles an option at OT. I think he’s competing with Schweitzer and Flowers for the LG job, and jockeying for a position in the future after Scherff leaves. 

Competition will be the name of the game, though. Wow. Four legitimate starting candidates at both OT and OG. That’s a deep group. It’s not an excellent group, by which I mean the high end/starting options, but it’s deep. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Competition will be the name of the game, though. Wow. Four legitimate starting candidates at both OT and OG. That’s a deep group. It’s not an excellent group, by which I mean the high end/starting options, but it’s deep. 

I'm hoping it helps bring a pony out of the pack ... and help you cut loose the one that isn't going to make it. 

Competition. Any player that gets mad because we signed someone at the same position as him can kick rocks, if they don’t want to compete for their job, they don’t need to be here. I see no problem with it. Best man wins at each spot and then we actually have depth for once at a position that gets hurt and banged up a lot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Pretty cheap for a starting LT. Like Mark Bullock said C. Lucas cannot be happy. 

I’m sure Lucas isn’t happy, they just signed & drafted two LTs to compete with him. Hopefully he takes this to heart and comes in ready to compete with Leno & Cosmi. I love the competition we have at OT & OG as E said, we haven’t had this kind of competition for these positions & depth in a long time.

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Don’t like this signing.  Thought we should have rewarded the guys like Lucas who fought hard for us last year.  

Totally agree.  I would have rather extended Lucas or heck use the money to pay Jon Allen. 

It seems like we are stockpiling mediocre Left Tackles.  Why did we draft Cosmi in 2nd round to put him 3rd string? 

Maybe there is a plan other than LT?