WFT Signs OT Charles Leno (1/$5M)

e16bball

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

$5 mill for the 28th ranked tackle .. OOOOOKKKK, good move , sure , really good move . 

Monkey Butt GIF - Monkey Butt GIFs

28th ranked tackle. not left tackle..... remember there are 64 starting tackles in the nfl... so paying 5 mil even for an average one is good

• Like 2

Washington has a pretty damn deep OL group, few teams in the NFL have that type of depth at one OT spot with four legit starting options.  Leno could start, so could Christian, Lucas has started games and Cosmi is a very talented rookie.  Then you have the OG spot with legit starters in Schweitzer and Flowers.  Then guys like Christian or even Lucas could move over to RT if need be also.  Not to mention Rick Leonard who has potential and especially Saahdiq Charles who has a ton of upside and talent, I forgot about him.  They also have David Sharpe as well right now?

LT Charles Leno Jr / Geron Christian Sr / Cornelius Lucas / Samuel Cosmi
LG Wes Schweitzer / Ereck Flowers / Beau Benzschawel
C Chase Roullier / Tyler Larsen
RG Brandon Scherff / Keith Ismael
RT Morgan Moses / Geron Christian Sr / Rick Leonard / Saahdiq Charles

Surprised at the depth and talent of the group, sure Leno is nothing great but will be curious who the starter at LT is.  Also will be curious if Flowers sits behind Schweitzer or not, he has a lot of starts at OG the past few years.  Christian is probably not a fit at LT but could be decent at RT or OG even.  Still a solid deep group, will be curious who ends up starting at LT and LG.  

Would be hard in the NFL in terms of pure depth and bodies at OT to find a team with more decent OTs in the NFL on one roster.  Granted they will not all make the team but for a unit to bring into training camp, really solid group.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

He was already posting his aggravation on twitter earlier last week. 

Maybe this is why they signed him, this coach doesn't take too kindly to players thinking their position is "secure".  I think Leno has the talent and needed this wake up call to work harder going forward.

I like the signing. It's just a one year contract so its not like he is blocking Cosmi's path to become a franchise LT. Cornelius Lucas has never started a full 16 games at LT and now suddenly at age 30 you want to see how he holds up trying to do 17 games? Also, Leno is on the short size at 6'3" and I could see him potentially compete at LG with Ereck Flowers.  You could also see Cosmi compete at guard too. (He reminds me a lot of Scherff) We have so much flexibility and depth with the Offensive line now and I love it. Rivera knows he is going into battle and he's got a full squad now. 

11 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Speaking of depth, you'd think the NFLPA would demand adding a couple more roster positions to handle this 17 game schedule . 

This is what I was saying last year. It would be better for everyone considered if they added 5 more spots and made it an even 60 man active roster

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is what I was saying last year. It would be better for everyone considered if they added 5 more spots and made it an even 60 man active roster

I am surprised this hasn't been done.  I wonder if the NFLPA ever resists this because it dilutes cap space.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am surprised this hasn't been done.  I wonder if the NFLPA ever resists this because it dilutes cap space.

The extra income from the extra game should be used to up the Cap Space . Maybe that was already calculated in though. Don't know .

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, taylor made said:

I like the signing. It's just a one year contract so its not like he is blocking Cosmi's path to become a franchise LT. Cornelius Lucas has never started a full 16 games at LT and now suddenly at age 30 you want to see how he holds up trying to do 17 games? Also, Leno is on the short size at 6'3" and I could see him potentially compete at LG with Ereck Flowers.  You could also see Cosmi compete at guard too. (He reminds me a lot of Scherff) We have so much flexibility and depth with the Offensive line now and I love it. Rivera knows he is going into battle and he's got a full squad now. 

Not sure about your info here . I see him listed at 6'4" on half the sites, not that an extra inch ( always ) matters. Also, I see he started all 16 games for 5 years at Left Tackle !

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

The extra income from the extra game should be used to up the Cap Space . Maybe that was already calculated in though. Don't know .

Yeah, but more is more!  I really don't know either.  Although, I am pretty sure they already upped the vet minimum with the new cba and that will consume a bunch of that money.  I think there is a bit of a class war going on when you have a group of players sucking up 10->20% of the cap space then it isn't enough.

Anyways, back to Leno.  The depth on our oline definitely looks good, but we aren't built for the future.  If you look past this year, 3 out of the 5 starters on oline are not under contract next season.  This is a problem especially when going into a salary cap explosion where all teams will have money to compete for players.  

I don't think you can ever have too much OL competition, but competition is different from depth.  I would like to see us addressing OL each year in the draft, so we don't have to sign guys like Lucas, Schweitzer and Leno to FA contracts.  The truly great organizations are always drafting in the trenches, and aside from LT, always have the "next man up" mantra when it is time for starters to leave in free agency.  

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, offbyone said:

I think this is exactly it. It's also an easy addendum fix, but whatever. 

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1394724222157590531?s=21

Morgan Moses was given permission to seek a trade. Maybe it’s Leno and Cosmi on the outside for this season. Maybe they think Charles can at least be the swing. Morgan was never the best RT in the league but he was a dog and it sucks to see him go. 

• Like 1