2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

More likely edge per their guardrails.

Unless Williams falls enough that they can trade up to get him.

In fact, if we can hold our own in the first half of the season, which I think we can with our D and Brissette, it would be nice to go into the home stretch with Watson and Williams.

51 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Myles has a 13M cap hit this year and a 30M cap hit next year. He won’t be restructured this year. That will be next year. 

Yeah that's the year we are talking about. In 2023 we have 8 million cap room with 27 players signed.

53 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Nothing wrong with going all in for the next 5 years then let a couple cap hell years hit.

Well what we have is pretty much all in. Just to fill the roster with scrubs we'll have to restructure multiple contracts. I don't think we make any signings of significance for a few years.

I think we are looking to carry as much over year to year (mostly this year) to make it work short term (next year) and then probably move on from Bitonio and maybe Chubb in 2024.

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The cap is also going way up again. I don’t think it’ll be a big issue. 

Maybe, I'm just using the current projections of 220 million in 2023 and 260 million in 2024. Maybe it goes crazy, but right now I think you have to use what info you have and not just hope for an even larger jump. Not that it's our job but they don't tell us their plan so we just try to play the game as best we can.

9 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Myles has a 13M cap hit this year and a 30M cap hit next year. He won’t be restructured this year. That will be next year. 

This

He will get more guaranteed at signing and they’ll restructure and kick the van down the road just like the Saints have done for 8 years.

The market for Baker is soft for a number of reasons (in no particular order):

• He has been anywhere from awful to really good over the last 4 years.
  • He has an $18 million fully guaranteed contract that makes him a UFA after this season.
  • He's recovering from shoulder surgery (assuming he couldn't pass a physical right now).
  • Some teams are no doubt pissed at the Browns for how we structured Watson's contract.

Add it all up, and we may be holding on to him until a team suffers an injury at QB.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

The market for Baker is soft for a number of reasons (in no particular order):

• He has been anywhere from awful to really good over the last 4 years.
  • He has an $18 million fully guaranteed contract that makes him a UFA after this season.
  • He's recovering from shoulder surgery (assuming he couldn't pass a physical right now).
  • Some teams are no doubt pissed at the Browns for how we structured Watson's contract.

Add it all up, and we may be holding on to him until a team suffers an injury at QB.

Does bullet points 2,3, and 4 matter if GM's thought he was really good?  We see that character is not an issue when throwing around lots of money or picks.  I think that he is generally regarded to be an average QB.  That is not to say he couldn't come back, and become a top 10 QB in this league.  It just means that no one really believes that at this time!