2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Think the question is: Can he take a team all the way?

And the answer is: "No".

He retired? Otherwise we don't know that yet. Unless 3 full years of being a starter without a title has been proven that you will never win a title. I'd have to look that one up.

44 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Possibly even the playoffs? I think that has been proven the case.

This was about the future.

I look at this much like I look at investment advertisement disclaimers, especially when you are talking about a player with as uneven a track record as Mayfield's:

Past performance is no indicator of future performance.

Edited by bruceb
accuracy

38 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He retired? Otherwise we don't know that yet. Unless 3 full years of being a starter without a title has been proven that you will never win a title. I'd have to look that one up.

I sure hope that’s not right.

Don’t think Watson has one either, so that may be bad.

48 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Unless 3 full years of being a starter without a title has been proven that you will never win a title.

It's the critical flaws in his abilities and mental makeup that are the determining factors.

Unless, of course, we can build a D that rivals BAL's with Dilfer.

17 minutes ago, bruceb said:

It's the critical flaws in his abilities and mental makeup that are the determining factors.

Unless, of course, we can build a D that rivals BAL's with Dilfer.

Well if you think he is on par with Dilfer as a QB...

career 113 TD 129 INT.

Dilfer was statistically better with us than he was with Baltimore. In fact, in seasons he started at least 5 games his second best rating was with us at 76.9 with 11 TD and 12 INT.

Baker has as many playoff TDs as Dilfer in 2 games compared to 6. Also one fourth the interceptions.

But go on... you were saying they are the same...

51 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if you think he is on par with Dilfer as a QB...

career 113 TD 129 INT.

Dilfer was statistically better with us than he was with Baltimore. In fact, in seasons he started at least 5 games his second best rating was with us at 76.9 with 11 TD and 12 INT.

Baker has as many playoff TDs as Dilfer in 2 games compared to 6. Also one fourth the interceptions.

But go on... you were saying they are the same...

As bruce's legal counsel, I'm authorized to issue a statement in response: my client wasn't saying they are entirely the same. That would be huebris. What he meant to say is that they are entirely the same in every discernible way except one is short with bad character. Please let me know if you need any further clarification from Mr. b.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

So?

Sure, he can lead a team to a winning record, possibly even to the playoffs.

Think the question is: Can he take a team all the way?

And the answer is: "No".

Would have been nice if Bernie had been asked that question, although I am sure he would have dodged answering it.

Sometimes I am convinced you do not understand the concept of humor...

That said,  in response to "Can he take a team all the way?" neither you nor I know. But the same thing was said about Dree Brees up until year 6 of his career so again, no one knows.  

Edited by pscottdai

I’ve changed my tune. 

I’m down to keep Baker on the roster. We should maximize his trade value. Once the first QB gets injured Baker’s value will skyrocket. 

Not wishing it on any team, but it’s part of the game. 

Let’s say Giants lose Daniel Jones to injury, or Herbert, or Carr, maybe Jameis. 

Some team with a weak backup QB situation that would still want to make a run at the playoffs would trade for Baker. 

Having Baker is like sitting on a second round pick. We’ve just got to be patient until an injury occurs. Which is bound to happen. 

6 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

Only posting this since it's the heart of silly season. BTW, 93.7 The Fan is a Pittsburgh station FWIW.

I'm sure it's BS but it would be hilarious (except I don't want the GOAT back in the AFC). But it'd sure be a good way for him to stick it to BB before he retires.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DawgX said:

I'm sure it's BS but it would be hilarious (except I don't want the GOAT back in the AFC). But it'd sure be a good way for him to stick it to BB before he retires.

TIL Kevin Stefanski's initials are BB. Pittsburgh. Book it.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

At this point it feels like Baker will end up in Pittsburgh. He'll negotiate a $4mil pay cut to get released and will be the starter by opening day. Enjoy.

5th year option isn't negotiable.

He may still end up in Pittsburgh via a couple trades but I don't foresee Baker getting cut. They'd sooner look like idiots for picking it up and giving away a 6th for someone to take him to get some rollover cap for next year than look like idiots for picking it up to cut him and take an 18 million dollar hit.

At least that's what I perceive.