2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

I wanted it to work. I would much rather that it worked out for him here then deal with the baggage that Watson brings. There were red flags about him that drove me crazy but mostly the issue was that he didn’t get better as an all-around quarterback. Or at least was inconsistent. Baggage or a strong personality is totally fine if you are good enough. I hate how the narrative has changed over the course of the 2021 start to where things are now. For one reason or another, he didn’t take that step forward, and I think there are a number of reasons why. If he ends up in the right situation I can still see him being successful.

He’s in an awkward spot though as far as timing. I still think a couple of these teams would rather tank then pay that kind of money/give draft pick(s) for a guy they are not sure is a long-term quarterback for them given the 2022 options. It’s a quarterback league, if you don’t have an elite one, the perception is that you aren’t going to win the Super Bowl right now. If he is not viewed as that, I think some of these teams would rather ride it out and see what surfaces next off-season. If we were to fast forward to next off-season though, I think he would be signed when the dust settled when a team or teams realized they weren’t winning the sweepstakes for the tier 1 option(s). Cleveland’s best bet at this point is still an injured quarterback from a contending team in preseason IMO.

• Like 2

There are a number of things working against the trade market. 

1. The failure of Wentz and lesser extent Goff as QB who have been traded out. Psyching teams out.

2. It seems like a lot of teams have their guy or going they do. 

3. Percieved riches in next yeara class vs the lack of value a middling qb provides. 

4. His tape was terrible last year. 

5. Personality and ego are very big.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

apparently we are willing to eat a good chunk of the Baker money now. 

Might see him move on soon then 

I’ve understood that to be the case for a while.

He has no market at the moment.  Teams are set with their guys as starters and it would seem no one is interested in the idea of Baker holding a clipboard.

Maybe if/when someone gets hurt a market develops, but right now there doesn’t appear to be many options.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve understood that to be the case for a while.

He has no market at the moment.  Teams are set with their guys as starters and it would seem no one is interested in the idea of Baker holding a clipboard.

Maybe if/when someone gets hurt a market develops, but right now there doesn’t appear to be many options.

I think its everyone is willing to roll the dice with what they got this year, with an eye on getting a QB next year (some FA's if they dont sign deals/Franchise tag) and Baker impacts what a team is going to do moving forward/Next year.....

Because teams that Baker would be an upgrade for this year....IMO.....in the NFC: ATL, CAR, NO, NYG, SEA.....and Technically SF and Chicago (and I am looking at WAS and DET) in the AFC: Hou, Mia, Pitts (off limits) and technically Jax, Jets and NE (those rookies played like Rookies....Baker Broke the Rookie passing TD NFL record when he played as a rookie)

16 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I think its everyone is willing to roll the dice with what they got this year, with an eye on getting a QB next year (some FA's if they dont sign deals/Franchise tag) and Baker impacts what a team is going to do moving forward/Next year.....

Because teams that Baker would be an upgrade for this year....IMO.....in the NFC: ATL, CAR, NO, NYG, SEA.....and Technically SF and Chicago (and I am looking at WAS and DET) in the AFC: Hou, Mia, Pitts (off limits) and technically Jax, Jets and NE (those rookies played like Rookies....Baker Broke the Rookie passing TD NFL record when he played as a rookie)

With all due respect.....If teams believed that Baker was a CLEAR UPGRADE over what they currently have at QB, he would have been traded long ago.  There are only 1 or 2 teams that can win the "tank" war.  "Rolling the dice" on a guy that's on your roster is not the way to go, if you perceive there to be a CLEAR UPGRADE.  Let's be honest...18 mil is not that much for a QB that is guaranteed to help you win games.  The fact is...not many believe that Baker is "that guy"!  He may ultimately turn it around, and become more consistent.  Those flashes of brilliance may end up being the norm.  No one is willing to take that chance right now!!!!

26 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

With all due respect.....If teams believed that Baker was a CLEAR UPGRADE over what they currently have at QB, he would have been traded long ago.  There are only 1 or 2 teams that can win the "tank" war.  "Rolling the dice" on a guy that's on your roster is not the way to go, if you perceive there to be a CLEAR UPGRADE.  Let's be honest...18 mil is not that much for a QB that is guaranteed to help you win games.  The fact is...not many believe that Baker is "that guy"!  He may ultimately turn it around, and become more consistent.  Those flashes of brilliance may end up being the norm.  No one is willing to take that chance right now!!!!

6 wins no losses

Dak Prescott

Kirk cousins

Josh allen

Burrows 

He stinks cut him

Ok poppa how many wins does

Deshaun win this year 

8 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

6 wins no losses

Dak Prescott

Kirk cousins

Josh allen

Burrows 

He stinks cut him

Ok poppa how many wins does

Deshaun win this year 

Does he play every game?  If so, we win 10+ imo, and make the playoffs!

Edited by big poppa pump
no need to cut him...but doesn't seem like anyone wants him

49 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Does he play every game?  If so, we win 10+ imo, and make the playoffs!

Its more about cap space savings at this point I feel like than it is trying to get picks. The cap space by trading Baker is valuable to the Browns moreso than a mid-late draft pick would be.

If they can just split his salary down the middle with another team and create 9M of cap room to either roll over or sign another player--that is a huge win for the team. 

4 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Prediction period

My prediction he does not win 10

Games in either his first or second year.

With Watson the whole season, 10-11 wins is very easy to see the Browns get. With him only 1/2 the season, the Browns will be lucky to get 8.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

With Watson the whole season, 10-11 wins is very easy to see the Browns get. With him only 1/2 the season, the Browns will be lucky to get 8.

My point on this is that he is only 500

Against are division with Duke Johnson a above average running back.

Plus Fuller, DeAndre,and cook he was still only 500 Against us.

Right now we are heading into the season with 1400 yards at wide receiver. 

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its more about cap space savings at this point I feel like than it is trying to get picks. The cap space by trading Baker is valuable to the Browns moreso than a mid-late draft pick would be.

If they can just split his salary down the middle with another team and create 9M of cap room to either roll over or sign another player--that is a huge win for the team. 

Excellent post

38 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

My point on this is that he is only 500

Against are division with Duke Johnson a above average running back.

Plus Fuller, DeAndre,and cook he was still only 500 Against us.

Right now we are heading into the season with 1400 yards at wide receiver. 

QB wins are a team stat and Watson has never in his career played with a team as talented as the Browns currently are. Not from a defensive perspective, not from a OL perspective, not from a RB perspective or coaching perspective. 

The last year Watson played (2020)--he had 5,300 total yards 36 TDs and 12 Turnovers.

The Texans that year went 4-12.

The last healthy best year Baker played (2020)-- he had 3,650 yards 27 TDs and 14 Turnovers.

The Browns that year went 11-5

Edited by AkronsWitness