Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 22 - Taco Bowl XXII POSTED!)

20 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I didn't really want him, but I'm sort of surprised Quinn lasted this long. I assumed a high stuff, 10 sack DE would go earlier.

Same, he was on my list when I took Dunlap

I think there's probably fear around Quinn that his S21 NSFL performance maybe outplayed his underlying attributes and isn't going to be replicable

It's tough to trust a guy who only has 1 good season in his 3 year window

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Same, he was on my list when I took Dunlap

I think there's probably fear around Quinn that his S21 NSFL performance maybe outplayed his underlying attributes and isn't going to be replicable

It's tough to trust a guy who only has 1 good season in his 3 year window

Most definitely, which is exactly why I wasn't interested. I just... it's hard to ignore those sim stats, at least for S22. If he produces close to that level, he's a great pick in the 7th.

27 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I didn't really want him, but I'm sort of surprised Quinn lasted this long. I assumed a high stuff, 10 sack DE would go earlier.

Different people trust different things - and that trust is different based on even/odd seasons

Personally, I still look at IRL stats a little more heavily than SIM stats, knowing how much things like scheme, roster, etc effects the previous years outputs.

Like, I was debating between Quandre Diggs, who has 11 picks over the past 3 seasons, but his S21 stats were only so-so. I still chose him over another guy who had better NSFL stats but less than half the picks over the same time period in the NFL

Others choose to super value the previous NSFL performance more, and there's merit to that approach

Part of what makes the game fun is that we don't know the exact formulas

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Different people trust different things - and that trust is different based on even/odd seasons

Personally, I still look at IRL stats a little more heavily than SIM stats, knowing how much things like scheme, roster, etc effects the previous years outputs.

Like, I was debating between Quandre Diggs, who has 11 picks over the past 3 seasons, but his S21 stats were only so-so. I still chose him over another guy who had better NSFL stats but less than half the picks over the same time period in the NFL

Others choose to super value the previous NSFL performance more, and there's merit to that approach

Part of what makes the game fun is that we don't know the exact formulas

Exactly!

It's great that odd/even seasons are evaluated differently as well. It makes building a team much more challenging than drafting based on rating and rating alone.

For even seasons like like to get as many players who were good in the sim, with upside to be better next year then I go for players that I am trying to grip to the remaining sim value that they have. Because with even seasons, you get to hold that player through the real NFL season and so much can change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

For even seasons like like to get as many players who were good in the sim, with upside to be better next year then I go for players that I am trying to grip to the remaining sim value that they have. Because with even seasons, you get to hold that player through the real NFL season and so much can change.

Makes sense.

I was aiming for an approach where I'd grab a balance between long-term prospects and short-term production. For example: Earl Thomas may not play again, but he's a near-elite sim safety right now. I thought I'd pair him with Bates, a really good sim safety that is surging in real life. Same with DE: Kerrigan is on the downside of his career, but still put up great sim stats in S21. I think Hendrickson will have a strong 2021 NFL season. I expect Kerrigan to give me a strong S22 performance, while Hendrickson will be a possible keeper moving forward. (Also did this with Jason Peters and Taylor Decker at OT.)

I know I can't keep them all, so I guess I tried to mix great short-term options with long-term contributors.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm more of an "Oh crap I'm on the clock, what do I need and whos left?" kind of planner. Its worked horribly so far, wouldn't recommend.

I laughed harder at this than I probably should have. Thankfully, I'm in the bathroom, so it alarmed no one.

57 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I'm more of an "Oh crap I'm on the clock, what do I need and whos left?" kind of planner. Its worked horribly so far, wouldn't recommend.

I've pretty much done the same the past few seasons - I think to myself before every draft that I am going to get a BB going and be ready but it just never works out that way. 

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Thats me as well.   Oh crap,  I'm actually on the clock. Gotta go check to see who is left and what I need. 

• Like 3