EURO 2020

Hunter2_1

The UEFA forbid Munich to enlighten their stadium in the rainbow colours for the match between Germany and Hungary. They allowed Neuer to wear the rainbow colours as their captain's armband, because it's for "good cause", but forbid the city of Munich to light up the stadium in these colours. Makes sense, right? They advertise the EURO with the hashtag "#EqualGame". Unfortunately it's not surprising. The UEFA are just hypocrites.

I hope the DFB shows some balls and takes a stand for equality. Also to make this an even bigger PR mess for the UEFA. How can they make a stand against racism, when they're kneeling in front of autocrats like Orban? Unfortunately the EU doesn't defend the human rights as well and punish Orban for what he's been doing for years in Hungary ...

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Edge said:

The UEFA forbid Munich to enlighten their stadium in the rainbow colours for the match between Germany and Hungary. They allowed Neuer to wear the rainbow colours as their captain's armband, because it's for "good cause", but forbid the city of Munich to light up the stadium in these colours. Makes sense, right? They advertise the EURO with the hashtag "#EqualGame". Unfortunately it's not surprising. The UEFA are just hypocrites.

I hope the DFB shows some balls and takes a stand for equality. Also to make this an even bigger PR mess for the UEFA. How can they make a stand against racism, when they're kneeling in front of autocrats like Orban? Unfortunately the EU doesn't defend the human rights as well and punish Orban for what he's been doing for years in Hungary ...

UEFA are as corrupt and morally depleted as the founders of the Super League, and watching UEFA try and 'peacock' around when the Super League fell on its arse was disgusting. Money rules everything. UEFA clearly don't want to upset their financial backers in Eastern Europe that have made it very clear they don't approve of messages to support the LGBTQ community.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Interesting decision(s) coming for Southgate. With Mount almost certainly not playing, does he bring Grealish in for a straight swap, or does he move Foden infield and bring in Sancho/Rashford?

Given that we are through, and technically coming 2nd/3rd gives a more favourable matchup in the 2nd round, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes. Maguire will likely start too, I imagine.

Early rumours have Maguire in for Mings, Grealish in for Mount.

I am stunned he's persisting with Phillips and Rice. 

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Early rumours have Maguire in for Mings, Grealish in for Mount.

I am stunned he's persisting with Phillips and Rice. 

I don't mind having Phillips and Rice, but why oh why doesn't his fullbacks bomb down the wing as often as they should? 2 DM pivot should allow his fullbacks to essentially work as wide midfielders as Robertson and TAA do for Liverpool, but bloody hell they rarely get forward as much as they should. I don't get why he's so focused on this defensive mentality even with the talent he has at his disposal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Saka over Sancho 🤣🤣🤣 He has lost the plot.

Not afraid of eating humble pie. Probably our best player.

Still not clicking in possession at all. England's best hope at this point is that they prove to be a good counter attacking team against the top teams.

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Not afraid of eating humble pie. Probably our best player.

Still not clicking in possession at all. England's best hope at this point is that they prove to be a good counter attacking team against the top teams.

I think it's pretty clear, and probably as big an indictment of Southgate as any IMO (because it makes it beyond blatant that he's an FA glad-hander above all else; like pretty much every English manager since the FA's inception - and possibly before).  I honestly have arrived at the conclusion that Southgate simply doesn't rate the level of play (regardless of how high that level may be, whether European Cup leagues further what the eye-test is telling you, etc.) of play in the Bundesliga as being on par with the EPL.  It might be a sensible, if still flawed, perspective to take if this were say a tournament of only the British Isles or something.  But it foolhardy in European play and, while it will probably be good for a berth in the final 16 and possibly 1 win past (with a favorable draw) in full-on International tournament play, it's the kind of arrogance that can definitely be an Achilles heel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I think it's pretty clear, and probably as big an indictment of Southgate as any IMO (because it makes it beyond blatant that he's an FA glad-hander above all else; like pretty much every English manager since the FA's inception - and possibly before).  I honestly have arrived at the conclusion that Southgate simply doesn't rate the level of play (regardless of how high that level may be, whether European Cup leagues further what the eye-test is telling you, etc.) of play in the Bundesliga as being on par with the EPL.  It might be a sensible, if still flawed, perspective to take if this were say a tournament of only the British Isles or something.  But it foolhardy in European play and, while it will probably be good for a berth in the final 16 and possibly 1 win past (with a favorable draw) in full-on International tournament play, it's the kind of arrogance that can definitely be an Achilles heel.

I just think (at this tournament) he is taking the approach of not conceding, and trying to steal wins. Now, that approach has worked several times over the last 30 years or so for other countries at major tournaments. All I would say is that it is usually done by an underdog, where both the players and country itself buy in. 

The problem for Southgate is that (rightly or wrongly) the English public believe this team to be talented enough to win and to score plenty of goals doing so. Thus, there really isn't buy in to the 'siege' mentality and if it goes wrong, he's going to get absolutely killed for it.

One thing is for sure - we are certain to have our first real test of the tournament in the 2nd round, given it's France, Germany or Portugal. That said, I don't think those team will be enamored with playing England either at that early stage of the knockouts.

Edited by lomaxgrUK