2022 where we finally are rebuilt draft thread

50 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hi Karnage84.  Welcome to the Jaguars Forum!

It seems like a majority of Jags fans would prefer Hutchinson over Walker.  Personally, I'd rather see us go with Evan Neal or Ikey Ekwonu, but I'd be satisfied if we took Hutchinson too.  His motor reminds me a lot of Jared Allen, and I've heard that Jared supposedly had "short arms" (as they are saying about Hutchinson) and that is why he fell in the draft. 

The thing I like a lot about Hutch is that, like Jared Allen, he seems to always be fired up.  That is something that can have an influence on the rest of the team, and also on the home crowds.

Walker may be a fine pick too, but my fear with him is that he turns out like Rashan Gary in Green Bay.  He had a pretty good season in 2021, but he did next to nothing for the first two years of his rookie contract before he figured everything out.  I think I'd rather roll the dice on Thibbodeaux than take a project like Walker with a Top 2 pick.

As for DJ and Bucky reporting on "inside information," I would be surprised if they knew too much.  This is the time of the year when you can't believe too much of anything because teams are trying to float rumors that will help their own cause all the time.

Finally, a part of me is really hoping you guys somehow end up with Malik Willis because he is such a likeable young man and I want to see him end up on a team that I like and can cheer for.  The other thing is that in Detroit, he would have the luxury of being able to sit behind Goff for a year to learn the ropes.  You also have a very good offensive line that could give him the time he needs to get his passes off.  It would just be awesome to be able to cheer for what would be one of the most likeable HC/QB combos in the league!

Thanks for the warm welcome, my friend. Nice to be able to pay a visit in your neck of the woods.

I understand the selection of someone like Ekwonu. You guys have a franchise guy in Lawrence and need to ensure he's adequately protected. Stafford took a beating early on when he was with the Lions. When you have a franchise guy you need to support them. There's probably a ton of franchise guys who have been ruined because they wound up with poor organization's. If Meyer stuck around, Lawrence very well could have been the latest example. Pederson won a SB with strength on the OL. A strength of this class is the edge rushers. The tackle class isn't at the same level. You're arguably in a better spot to draft the top OT at #1 and then the edge at #33 than if you take Edge at #1 and then try to force fit OL at #33. Robinson did sign his tender but he may not be the long term solution. Worst case scenario, you get Quenton Nelson 2.0 at OG. 

I have hesitations on Thibodeaux personally. He could be Von Miller or he could be Clowney. When PAC-12 coaches have said they didn't have to game plan for him, it does worry me. PAC-12 isn't filled with elite level OT's and Thibodeaux didn't tear things up like you would expect he would. He could turn out to be a monster but there's enough question marks for me where I'm not confident enough in taking him this high. If you have a strong FO, coaching staff and ownership and they take him, then i have faith they've done their due diligence and are sold on the guy. Walker has some of his own question marks but has a ton of tools. You just have to hope that he hits on those eventually and can move past the lack of production questions at the next level. It's not like guys have never been better pro's than college players before. 

I don't think if you're a team picking at #1 that you need to do a ton of smokescreen stuff. I do think there's some merit in those internal discussions and what has been put out there. They could always circle back to Hutchinson or some other player at #1 overall but I could absolutely see a contrast between what the HC and the GM want. It'll be interesting in how it shakes things out.

Willis seems like a great kid. I just don't want him on the Lions. We're still in the process of building up this roster. He's going to sit on the bench for at least a year, maybe more. It's a draft class that some have argued shouldn't even have guys selected in round 1 let alone in the top 2. Reaching on a QB just because you have a need AND your roster has a ton of holes doesn't make a ton of sense to me. We've already seen how that worked out for the Lions with Stafford. We took him 1st overall in 2009 and then spent 12 years trying to build a roster around him. We failed on the OL but had a great defensive front; we had a porous secondary and couldn't run the ball but had a HOFer in Calvin making plays. We selected a TE in Ebron to provide him with a downfield weapon and lost out on guys like Donald and OBJ. We've had several high end picks not pan out for various reasons. Goff was statistically a top 12 QB the last few weeks last year once Campbell and Ben Johnson took over on offense. Glenn and Pleasant did really well with what they had to work with. Adding talent to the defense and building out other parts of the roster will allow us to be more competitive as a whole. We have multiple 1sts next year. If Goff proves he can be the guy, you keep him and then continue to develop around him. If he isn't, we have a roster that you can plug-and-play someone else - either trade up for a rookie QBOTF or do a reverse Stafford and inject a high level veteran into a ready made group. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 11:59 AM, LinderFournette said:

Here's the results from a mock I participated in @EaglesPeteCran. 

MY plan was to give Trevor some help

Jags draft 

1) Evan Neal OT Alabama future Starting RT(start at g this year). I'm not buying a cam extension till it's actually signed

33) George Pickens WR Georgia starting wr.  

65) John Metchie III WR Alabama redshirt pick.  Wanted to go edge but I feel Metchie would be a great value and would be a baalke pick

70) Chad Muma ILB Wyoming starting ilb

106) Isaiah Thomas EDGE Oklahoma edge competition. 

157) Jerome Ford RB Cincinnati backup rb.  Keeps from rushing Robinson and Etienne back

180) Austin Allen TE Nebraska TE competition

188) Bailey Zappe QB Western Kentucky backup qb.  Shouldn't be here but a draft a backup makes sense. 

197) Mykael Wright CB Oregon future nickel

198) Sterling Weatherford S Miami (OH) safety depth

222) Esezi Otomewi DL Minnesota DL depth

235) Jeffrey Gunter EDGE Coastal Carolina edge competition

Forgot to mention this, I think this was my favorite draft (or at least Top 3 with Falcons, Packers,  and  Eagles in the mix) of all the teams that participated. The bolded were two guys you stole from me as my next targets 😉

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Forgot to mention this, I think this was my favorite draft (or at least Top 3 with Falcons, Packers,  and  Eagles in the mix) of all the teams that participated. The bolded were two guys you stole from me as my next targets 😉

I was shocked that Gunter was still available at that pick.  I think he's a 4/5

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Hopefully Travon becomes what Baalke envisions him to be. He’s a damn good dawg. 

I’m really excited to see how Caldwell uses him. Feel like Buckner is a damn good DL coach as well.

Really hope they can unlock him to the fullest.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:
Walker over Hutchinson is probably something my crazy *** who likes betting on upside would do lol.
On 3/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

I’d love someone with as high as upside as I think Travon has. I could see him slipping out of reach in simulators from 15 even before the combine. After the combine I was talking about trading up cause I wanted him bad, but then my dreams were killed when both Brugler and Zierlein had him go 3rd overall to the Texans. Now I’ve seen Walker go 1-3 in most mocks and he’s gone within the next few picks if not.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Nah I've seen plenty on Twitter with Jermaine over Travon. A lot of people are worried about Travon's lack of polish. I'd stand on the table for him as a scout and tell the coaches to get to work lol. I swing for upside a lot of the time though. I value athleticism in a big way at EDGE.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:55 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

A big part of draft is about projecting. That's why coaches are salivating over Walker and he's climbed up draft boards in a big way which I knew he would before the combine even happened.

Example: Justin Jefferson playing on the outside.

Spider-Man Hello GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 2