NBA Off-Season Thread: Giannis >

NYRaider

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

As a Duke fan I'll never forget all the hate my young boy JJ received coming into the league. Probably the best player in Magic history.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPthSxvDyv7Pb0OpMBg-3

SVG buried him on the bench and he eventually made it to the top. Hard work pays off. King.

32 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why would he wanna tank games with Josh Giddey, he's like 40 years old.

Because he would get 15 million more dollars here and wouldn’t be under pressure to play at all or win games. We have to get to the cap floor anyways this is just my suggestion. Seems like the best option to help us tank and develop our core guys and it’s only a 1 year deal which is good

7 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Because he would get 15 million more dollars here and wouldn’t be under pressure to play at all or win games. We have to get to the cap floor anyways this is just my suggestion. Seems like the best option to help us tank and develop our core guys and it’s only a 1 year deal which is good

He has made over $100M in his career, don't think money is his top priority at this point in his career. He'd probably rather pay to play for the Lakers or Nets then take a max contract to play with Josh Giddey and Poku.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

He's going to sign for cheap to the Knicks, Nets or 76ers. Assuming he actually meant what he said about wanting to be close to his family, but I could see him chasing the bag again if someone offered him enough money.

He’s been wanting to go to the nets for a long time. I’d bet he finally ends up there. 

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Knicks were reportedly going to be conservative this offseason to save cap space so they could pursue star players next summer. With the moves that they've made bringing back Noel/Burks/Rose, extending Randle, and signing Fouriner/Kemba they're already over the cap for 2022-2023. And that's without extending Mitchell Robinson and letting Kevin Knox walk.  

During the first 6 years of his career he averaged 0.4 3's per game at a 29% clip, last season he averaged 2.3 3's per game at a 41% clip. He made as many 3's last season as he did in his first 6 seasons combined and was literally hitting them at the same clip as Steph Curry. 

I would guess that last season was somewhat of an outlier more so than he is now a Steph Curry level shooter. I think the Knicks lack of a PG pre-Rose also inflated his assist #'s as well and he won't have the ball in his hands as much with Kemba/Rose and as Barrett improves. 

Doubt that anyone will look back at this deal and say "wow the Knicks got a bargain signing Julius for $30M/yr." Dude was straight dog water in the playoffs and even if they somehow clear cap space any player they're recruiting will have to want to play with Julius Randle. Not sure many superstars around the league are dying to team up with him, lol.

The point is that barring a trade, the Knicks aren’t going to attract high end FA regardless. The Knicks have been pursuing star players in like forever and they haven’t gotten one since Amare, which was over a decade ago. 

Im not even saying Randle is great. But he’s a good player. Non-star players getting big contracts ain’t nothing new. Letting Randle go wasn’t the answer. Best case scenario was that they’d just replace him with a similar level player. You should only be creating space for the realistic expectation that you’ll grab these FA not the hope of doing so. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

This combined with the reported interest in signing Markannen to an offer sheet is going to make for a fun noontime tomorrow, even if it all fizzles out.   Just the thought of replacing the Martin twins with a legitimate talent like Oubre is almost enough for me to get my keyboard pregnant.    My hesitancy is his willingness to play behind Gordon (perhaps even Bridges at the 3) and be a team player vs hunting stats.  He doesn't strike me as a man willing to sacrifice himself for the team or come off the bench - but maybe I'm off-base on that impression.    Jalen McDaniels has a chance to develop into a very useful player but that would be severely limited by adding an Oubre -- ultimately I'm okay with that trade-off.    This team needs talent anywhere, anyway we can add it

Also wonder if some of these agents are using the Hornets cap space to create rumored interest and create a market for their players...

13 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

The point is that barring a trade, the Knicks aren’t going to attract high end FA regardless. The Knicks have been pursuing star players in like forever and they haven’t gotten one since Amare, which was over a decade ago. 

Before the Nets signed Durant/Irving two years ago were they a high end FA destination? The last big FA they signed prior to that was Jason Kidd in 2003. What about the Lakers? Before they signed LeBron in 2018 their last major superstar acquisition via free agency was Shaq in 1996. 

15 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Im not even saying Randle is great. But he’s a good player. Non-star players getting big contracts ain’t nothing new. Letting Randle go wasn’t the answer. Best case scenario was that they’d just replace him with a similar level player. You should only be creating space for the realistic expectation that you’ll grab these FA not the hope of doing so. 

The goal is to build a team that can compete for a championship. As we saw last year with Randle playing the best year of his career they got whooped by the Hawks in the 1st round. It would've been smarter for them to just wait on extending Randle, if he plays at a similar level or better and earns a bigger offer then pay him that to keep him. Don't jump the gun because he had a career year and kill your flexibility going forward, especially when he shot under 30% in a series they should've gotten swept. 

Had the Knicks just let him play out the last season of his deal they would've been in an eerily similar position as the Nets were in during the 2019 off-season. The Nets had a young All-Star player on a team that squeaked into the playoffs in Russell but instead of extending him they kept their cap flexibility. Then were able to lure Durant/Kyrie there and used Russell as a pawn to give KD more guaranteed money with the S&T. The Knicks could've basically done that with Randle then used their other young players like Barrett/Quickley/Toppin and draft capital to acquire another star via trade like the Nets did with Harden. 

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

SVG buried him on the bench and he eventually made it to the top. Hard work pays off. King.

SVG is a fraud for benching the greatest shooter in basketball history. Magic should sign him just so he can teach Wagner, Suggs, Fultz, and Isaac about how if you can make the ball into the hoop from behind the painted line it counts for more points.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They'd have to max him out to play with Josh Giddey and Poku.

I don’t think a championship ring is worth 15 million to this dude. I think he cares more about his podcast than winning a ring tbh his legacy doesn’t really change with a ring.

but I don’t see OKC going after him we’re probably going to take on a bad contract with our money or some dumb crap 

1 minute ago, Kirill said:

I don’t think a championship ring is worth 15 million to this dude. I think he cares more about his podcast than winning a ring tbh his legacy doesn’t really change with a ring.

but I don’t see OKC going after him we’re probably going to take on a bad contract with our money or some dumb crap 

JJ Redick is one of the greatest college players ever and arguably the greatest Orlando Magic superstar in history, that legacy is cemented in concrete right outside of Disney World. @KhanYouDigIt

These guys are competitors, he's nearing the end of his career and has already made over $100M. Plus he went to Duke so you know he's smart and will be successful in his post basketball life. I'd guarantee that he signs with a contending team so that he can try to win a ring.

$15M ain't enough to play with this dude.

BB1fmpk3.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l