Neglected Losing Roster Realities: 13 of 22 Starters Are 1st/2nd Yr Players

Mind Character

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

So I say "Drop the excuses" and get excuses. 

After starting out 7-4 (how great would that be?), he went7-9 in year one. That "highest paid defense" included a highly paid Donte Whitner, Joe Haden, Ahtyba Rubin, Paul Kruger, Karlos Dansby and Paul Kruger (aka "guys who suck"). Two of those expensive vets led the team in missed tackles. It was the last time we beat Pittsburgh (who were 11-5 that year). 

Despite all that cash Ray Farmer layer out to middle of the road vets, our defense is quantifiably and demonstrably better this year with the cheap kids. And we still can't find a way to win.

There is no excuse to be this bad. To not be improving. To rotate QBs like this. To have so many penalties. To make so many errors in game management. To stand in front of a camera and say "I wouldn't change a thing".

It's either stupiduty or sabotage, and I don't think Hue is stupid. I think he is a very clever con man who is trying to get Haslam to pay him to coach in Cincinnati next year. I think there is a much better chance of that than him ever having a winning record in Cleveland.

Players aren't the only ones who have figured out how to milk Truck Stop Jimmy. It's sad, but that's what this team is to many - a quick stop to get maximum cash and give minimum effort. Coaches are no different. 

What's he going to change? QB's? Done that. WR's? That too.  Defensive coordinator? This past offseason.

If the front office isn't giving him pieces to win now, it makes his job awfully hard.  2018 picks and cap space dont win games in 2017, but that doesn't mean the front office isn't correct in their approach, at least in the long term.

Maybe he does want to coach in Cincy, I would too.  Marvin hasn't won a playoff game in 14 years and he still has a job despite plenty of talented teams. I bet it would be nice for a coach to work for a stable organization like the Bengals. (For fans who remember the Bengals in the 90's, read that last sentence again). 

I definitely think coaching has been a problem at times, but not enough to make a change.

I think a lot of the issues come from desperation. The losing weighs heavily on him and he's tried to force the issue at times, like a hitter in a slump.

This team lacked talent and experience from the get go, but for example, yesterday they were missing their best offensive player (Joe), their best defensive player (Myles), their best WR (Coleman), their best DB (McCourty), Peppers, Ogunjobi, Coley....etc.. It's hard to win when you take a lot of the best players off of an already suspect roster.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I definitely think coaching has been a problem at times, but not enough to make a change.

I think a lot of the issues come from desperation. The losing weighs heavily on him and he's tried to force the issue at times, like a hitter in a slump.

This team lacked talent and experience from the get go, but for example, yesterday they were missing their best offensive player (Joe), their best defensive player (Myles), their best WR (Coleman), their best DB (McCourty), Peppers, Ogunjobi, Coley....etc.. It's hard to win when you take a lot of the best players off of an already suspect roster.

Very true, and "suspect" is a generous word for the roster the Harvard guys have put together this year. 

10 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Very true, and "suspect" is a generous word for the roster the Harvard guys have put together this year. 

They weren't building for this year.

If the league leading amount of cap space and being the youngest team in the league weren't evidence enough, they literally said as much.

Seriously man, show me on the doll where Sashi touched you.  

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They weren't building for this year.

If the league leading amount of cap space and being the youngest team in the league weren't evidence enough, they literally said as much.

Seriously man, show me on the doll where Sashi touched you.  

It's Jimmy I have the most problems with - he's the one who made the bad call to give Sashi keys to the castle after proving absolutely nothing his whole career. I think Sashi and Hue need to be kept on for at least another year, because like you said, they weren't building for this year.

2 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

It's Jimmy I have the most problems with - he's the one who made the bad call to give Sashi keys to the castle after proving absolutely nothing his whole career. I think Sashi and Hue need to be kept on for at least another year, because like you said, they weren't building for this year.

Jimmy has been the problem, hopefully he gets out of the way.

I think Sashi is a smart dude and has put some smart people in place, good football people too.  I think he's plenty capable if they give his plan enough time.

On 10/30/2017 at 9:52 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think Sashi is a smart dude and has put some smart people in place, good football people too.  I think he's plenty capable if they give his plan enough time.

Signing Zeitler and trading and resigning Collins

People forget about that stuff they didn't have to stay here no matter what we paid

On 10/30/2017 at 9:52 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree and also disagree about the Sashi stuff. IF it's remotely true that he has Trumped Hue in the QB choices, then that is a big red flag to me. My thought on why Jimmy went with Sashi was because of Hue. You have a HC that knows and studies players, with a new President, let them work together but defer to the football guy for the major decisions. It doesn't seem like that is happening, however. 

4 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I agree and also disagree about the Sashi stuff. IF it's remotely true that he has Trumped Hue in the QB choices, then that is a big red flag to me. My thought on why Jimmy went with Sashi was because of Hue. You have a HC that knows and studies players, with a new President, let them work together but defer to the football guy for the major decisions. It doesn't seem like that is happening, however. 

DePodesta has a role here too.

I think it's definitely possible they put too much faith in Hue and his abilty to develop anyone.  It's time to give him the best prospect they can and go from there.

They also need to give that QB some help at WR.

Fixing those two positions changes this team immensely.

Archived