Michael Thomas Ankle Surgery - out 3-4 months

MightyMouse07

What benefit would the Saints have for running his value down? Maybe if they were planning on cutting him, but that’s not even feasible for the next couple of years. If NO was going to trade him, paining him negatively wouldn’t be the smartest. Maybe there’s a clause in his contract protecting the team if MT goes off the rails, or something. 

Loved me some MT. Turned into an even better player than I expected (I thought he’d be a little more explosive, more consistent Dez). Clearly has attitude/ego problems, though. That was before the ankle.

8 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

The Saints were eliminated from the playoffs on January 17. Thomas didn't get the ankle fixed up until June. What was he doing for five months?

Maybe he decided to not risk overburdening the hospital / facility with covid going on...

Maybe this is all just a misunderstanding about how compassionate and selfless GCM is

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

The Saints were eliminated from the playoffs on January 17. Thomas didn't get the ankle fixed up until June. What was he doing for five months?

As I said, I’m not up to date with timelines or have any info. But it certainly sounds like his side of the story on what the medical staff/organization told him is different than they put out in the media to me. Who knows.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

copium-png.png

I mean maybe, but what does he get out of delaying the situation/costing himself games?

Regardless none of it adds up and there’s clearly issues/tension in the relationship regarding how it was handled from the get go. If there’s a way to make money work I’m sure both sides are ready for a change.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Did the team doctors advise him that he could wait and see if it got better in the off season, or did they tell him he absolutely needed to get it right after the season ended? I feel like that's an important detail, and I haven't seen it mentioned one way or the other.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

Did the team doctors advise him that he could wait and see if it got better in the off season, or did they tell him he absolutely needed to get it right after the season ended? I feel like that's an important detail, and I haven't seen it mentioned one way or the other.

From earlier in this thread:

Thomas was initially advised by the Saints’ medical staff to have the ankle surgery immediately after the Saints’ postseason came to an end, but after getting a second opinion he decided to try a more conservative approach and see if the ankle would heal without surgery. That didn’t work, and Thomas ultimately had the surgery in June. The recovery time from the surgery will cause Thomas to miss several games at the start of the season, and Payton said recently that Thomas should have had the surgery earlier.

So.... ya.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 1:30 PM, pwny said:

My only counter to this - if you're a current or former "highest paid" type at your position, you need to have Dr. James Andrews on speed dial and seek his counsel at least three times a year - at the very least, as soon as the season is over.

Strictly depending on team doctors is no longer advisable, IMO. I think we've seen enough examples of team doctors putting the team over the player in consults such as this, and I don't think the Saints organization (read: Sean Payton) is exactly altruistic when it comes to player safety.

In theory, you're right. Specific to Thomas, IMO? If the narrative is he got hurt in season and continued to play, he needs to validate his condition with other doctors in addition to team physicians, simply because his body is why he's basically a nine figure player.