Training Camp 2021!

N4L

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Dee Ford and Jalen Hurd are expected to pass their physicals and be ready for camp. A nice surprise and could be two game changers. A healthy Ford changes everything for our DE depth. 

Not expecting much from either, but getting Dee even back to a serviceable 2019 level would be huge. 

Not really all that concerned about Hurd being healthy or not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Not expecting much from either, but getting Dee even back to a serviceable 2019 level would be huge. 

I think Ford played ~20 percent of the snaps that year and was hugely impactful. But he played those snaps with a monster pass rush win rate that dictated that defense spend fewer resources on the rest of the line. He could very well get to that number of snaps this year, but if he's any more than a little better than average as a pass rusher it would be a huge surprise. It's helpful either way because our utter lack of edge presence on passing downs, but his availability is unlikely to recreate 2019 dynamics where the defense was the best ever in terms of passing DVOA when he was available.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty excited about Hurd tbh. Obviously there is no way we can count on to him to be healthy, which I think is what you are referencing, but I think he could be a huge surprise for our team this year if he sees the field. I'm cautiously optimistic about Dee as well; there was talk about his injury threatening his ability to walk earlier in the year to now where he passed his physical. If this team can stay healthy at key positions this year I think we should be favorites to win it all this year. I think our starting roster is better than the 2019 defense outside of Buckner and CB and we are a lot deeper than that 2019 squad. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing is though, if Dee Ford IS 2019 level? That completely changes the dynamic of the pass rush. Right now we have little to no depth at DE. 

Hurd I agree that we will be fine one way or another, but if he can stay healthy, he's another big weapon. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I'm pretty excited about Hurd tbh. Obviously there is no way we can count on to him to be healthy, which I think is what you are referencing, but I think he could be a huge surprise for our team this year if he sees the field. I'm cautiously optimistic about Dee as well; there was talk about his injury threatening his ability to walk earlier in the year to now where he passed his physical. If this team can stay healthy at key positions this year I think we should be favorites to win it all this year. I think our starting roster is better than the 2019 defense outside of Buckner and CB and we are a lot deeper than that 2019 squad. 

He's played 1 full season in 5 years I think. I can't count on him to be healthy and don't know if he's actually good lol. Jennings could probably do a similar job. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's played 1 full season in 5 years I think. I can't count on him to be healthy and don't know if he's actually good lol. Jennings could probably do a similar job. 

How dare you come at me with this negativity! I agree about not counting on him to be healthy, but I think in the limited time we as fans have seen him on the field (at Baylor & his preseason game against Dallas) he has been impressive. Peter King also seemed to be very impressed with him based on his TC performance, calling him a favorite for OROY his before he got hurt. I think if he gets on the field he will produce; whether he can get on the field and stay there is what he will have to prove though. 

Just now, Forge said:

I think Jimmy starts the entire season unless he's just bad...and Jimmy isn't a bad enough QB to just be bad without injuries. 

Gotcha, I can see it happening unless Trey comes out guns blazing in training camp/preseason. I hope Kyle gives Trey a series or two every game tho.

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

How dare you come at me with this negativity! I agree about not counting on him to be healthy, but I think in the limited time we as fans have seen him on the field (at Baylor & his preseason game against Dallas) he has been impressive. Peter King also seemed to be very impressed with him based on his TC performance, calling him a favorite for OROY his before he got hurt. I think if he gets on the field he will produce; whether he can get on the field and stay there is what he will have to prove though. 

I just don't put stock in any of that stuff. I will never be Thomas Clayton'd again 

• Like 1