Training Camp 2021!

N4L

22 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Damn. Can't any of our boys consistently throw a crisp spiral? :(

To be filed under "things that don't matter". 

I'm glad you were the guy who brought that up. I didn't want to be that guy, but in truth that was my first thought 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Damn. Can't any of our boys consistently throw a crisp spiral? :(

To be filed under "things that don't matter". 

A "perfect" spiral is actually less consistent in its trajectory than one with a bit of wobble. Those passes may have had a bit too much wobble though lol

I was able to slow down those clips to get a very brief glimpse of JG throwing the ball. His feet and hips looked well synced with his arm. Short step, short hip twist, and the ball was out of his hands all in one motion. 

His footwork has been my biggest complaint. I have been hoping that he would correct it every single offseason. So ofc it only took us drafting his replacement for it to actually happen. He was never established enough as a player to not work like there was someone about to take his job. 

Edited by N4L

16 minutes ago, N4L said:

A "perfect" spiral is actually less consistent in its trajectory than one with a bit of wobble. Those passes may have had a bit too much wobble though lol

Hmmm where do you get that tidbit of information? Thought this spotlight in a Forbes article from Chad Orzel (physics/astronomy professor at Union College) hits the nail on the head:

So, the benefit of throwing a spiral in football isn't that the spin makes the ball go farther-- all else being equal, a non-spinning ball ought to have a greater range. Putting spin on the ball allows greater accuracy, because the flight is more predictable. This indirectly leads to longer passes, as distance multiplies the effect of inaccuracy, but that's an effective range, not a question of sheer distance. The signature of a great quarterback like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady is not just the ability to throw a ball a long distance, but to throw the ball where they want it to go, and throwing a tight spiral is essential to that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2015/10/05/football-physics-why-throw-a-spiral/?sh=69e79e2603f5

I'm not asking for perfect. Just crisp :)

Warner had a consistently wobbly ball, and Moon had a consistently crispy ball. Both are in the HOF so it's not a big deal. Just a little bit more pleasing to my eye. Mullens throws a decent looking ball, but sucks so whatever. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

Here is some bonus Aiyuk footage as well: 

Nah, that one wasn't it. I'm referring to the deep bomb to Samuel when he beat Johnson on the go route.

Jimmy is letting it rip though, reminiscent to 2017. And he better since teams know he just primarily throws to the middle of the field. That pass to Aiyuk was on a rollout going to his left, how many of those passes did he make last year? I know he got hurt early on but damn he was just a sitting duck in the pocket. 

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nah, that one wasn't it. I'm referring to the deep bomb to Samuel when he beat Johnson on the go route.

Jimmy is letting it rip though, reminiscent to 2017. And he better since teams know he just primarily throws to the middle of the field. That pass to Aiyuk was on a rollout going to his left, how many of those passes did he make last year? I know he got hurt early on but damn he was just a sitting duck in the pocket. 

Ah, I thought you were referring to the 40 yard pass to George. You can't unsee it now!

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Ah, I thought you were referring to the 40 yard pass to George. You can't unsee it now!

Trust me, love to see that. Trey is going to add that dynamic to the offense. The fact he is already doing well this early in the process with how few games he played in college? That's pretty amazing. He's going to be THAT guy...very soon. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm okay with this, definitely better than guys like Harris and Johnson. But there were better corners on the market. 

I can't say for sure he's better than Harris. We haven't ever seen Harris play 😂