First depth chart released

AKRNA

34 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

*Very* curious to see what we do at WR. That depth chart is legit 9-deep in NFL talent right now, and we’re only keeping 6-7. I’d be shopping Tim Patrick hard, if it was my decision. 

That position group really provides an interesting dilemma. Both Sutton and Patrick will be UFA's after this season. Both will be looking to get paid and we won't re-sign both.

We're loaded behind both as far as legitimate NFL talent. It'd be great to see us add some draft picks via trade from our deeper position groups. For the first time in a long time other teams will be watching our cuts closely. We're going to be releasing some serious talent. 

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

*Very* curious to see what we do at WR. That depth chart is legit 9-deep in NFL talent right now, and we’re only keeping 6-7. I’d be shopping Tim Patrick hard, if it was my decision. 

Hmm. See, I think most of our guys can get through waivers to be on the PS.

I think Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler and Patrick are locks. The rest may end up coming down to Special Teams. Reports from camp insinuate that we tried to get Hamler on Punts and he didn't excel, so Spencer may end up with a spot.

If we go with 6 WRs you'd assume the last place is Benson's. But he'd need to show competency on kickoff and punt coverage.

Remember - we are going to run a ton of 2 TE bootleg stuff this year, so 6 WRs isn't a total lock.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Hmm. See, I think most of our guys can get through waivers to be on the PS.

I think Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler and Patrick are locks. The rest may end up coming down to Special Teams. Reports from camp insinuate that we tried to get Hamler on Punts and he didn't excel, so Spencer may end up with a spot.

If we go with 6 WRs you'd assume the last place is Benson's. But he'd need to show competency on kickoff and punt coverage.

Remember - we are going to run a ton of 2 TE bootleg stuff this year, so 6 WRs isn't a total lock.

I agree with you, and further, I would not trade Patrick. Even if you don't plan on re-signing him, he's going to offer more offensively than nearly any other rookie would and he's insurance for Sutton at a minimum. Beyond that, if we can get him involved, he can sign somewhere as a UFA and maybe we can benefit with a comp pick. I see no downside to keeping him, personally.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with you, and further, I would not trade Patrick. Even if you don't plan on re-signing him, he's going to offer more offensively than nearly any other rookie would and he's insurance for Sutton at a minimum. Beyond that, if we can get him involved, he can sign somewhere as a UFA and maybe we can benefit with a comp pick. I see no downside to keeping him, personally.

Thats why I think the offer would have to be a second or conditional 3 that can become a 2 otherwise keep him

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

But you’re trading away those comp pick considerations with Patrick, so I don’t think that factors in, personally. When shopping him, you’re really offering Patrick + a ~5th rounder.

We run so few 4-wide sets, and if Albert O and/or Javonte are what we think they are, we’ll run even fewer. Beyond that, I think guys like Hinton, Benson, and Williams have shown enough that they’ll find bad NFL rosters to stick onto. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

But you’re trading away those comp pick considerations with Patrick, so I don’t think that factors in, personally. When shopping him, you’re really offering Patrick + a ~5th rounder.

We run so few 4-wide sets, and if Albert O and/or Javonte are what we think they are, we’ll run even fewer. Beyond that, I think guys like Hinton, Benson, and Williams have shown enough that they’ll find bad NFL rosters to stick onto. 

My main reason for wanting to keep Tim would be Sutton insurance. Obviously coming off a significant injury and if he is not the same guy or deals with injury stuff I think you really need Patrick 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Beyond that, I think guys like Hinton, Benson, and Williams have shown enough that they’ll find bad NFL rosters to stick onto. 

Only one of those names would garner interest on a 53 man roster, which is Benson. Hinton (for all of Vic's hyping in OTAs) has no quality WR tape and he committed two Special Teams penalties against Seattle. Williams has struggled in camp from what I've read, and he has made one significant catch that came on a broken play. He's almost definitely not latching onto a 53 man roster.

To trade a guy who is a proven NFL WR like Tim Patrick for (at best) a 4th round pick to ensure a totally unknown NFL commodity like Trinity Benson can play, seems like a poor plan in my opinion.

Let's see where we are at come the trade deadline.

• Like 1

I'll take my shot at the roster after cuts. I'm sure we sign a guy or two from cuts around the league, especially since we have the cap space to do so. Practice Squad can be up to 16 players with 4 being protected each week. I've only listed 13 so i'm sure others would be included or taken from other teams, especially at LB). 

Offense (25)

QB (2): Bridgewater, Lock (PS: Rypen)

RB (4): Gordon, Williams, Freeman, Boone (PS: Crocket, Prentince)

WR (7): Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Patrick, Trinity Benson, Dontae Spencer, Hinton (PS: Seth Williams, Cleveland)

TE (3): Fant, Albert O, Saubert (PS: Fort)

OLine (9): Bolles, Risner, Cush, Glasgow, Massie, Anderson, Muti, Meinerz, Fleming (PS: Schlottmann, Himmelman)

Defense (25)

DLine (6): Harris, Purcell, Jones, Agim, Williams, Stephen (PS: Spencer, Harris)

OLB (4) Miller, Chubb, Reed, Cooper (PS: Mintze)

ILB (4) Jewel, Johnson, Browning, Strnad

CB (6): Fuller, Darby, Callahan, PS2, Motley, Vincent Jr   PUP: Bassey IR: Ojemudia (PS: McCain III)

S (5): Simmons, Jackson, Sterns, Locke, Johnson (PS: Marshall)

Special Teams (3)

K: McManus

P: Martin (Lets get the Rams Punter! Guy was fire!)

LS: Bobenmoyer

Edited by grizmo78

19 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I'll take my shot at the roster after cuts. I'm sure we sign a guy or two from cuts around the league, especially since we have the cap space to do so. Practice Squad can be up to 16 players with 4 being protected each week. I've only listed 13 so i'm sure others would be included or taken from other teams, especially at LB). 

Offense (25)

QB (2): Bridgewater, Lock (PS: Rypen)

RB (4): Gordon, Williams, Freeman, Boone (PS: Crocket, Prentince)

WR (7): Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Patrick, Trinity Benson, Dontae Spencer, Hinton (PS: Seth Williams, Cleveland)

TE (3): Fant, Albert O, Saubert (PS: Fort)

OLine (9): Bolles, Risner, Cush, Glasgow, Massie, Anderson, Muti, Meinerz, Fleming (PS: Schlottmann, Himmelman)

Defense (25)

DLine (6): Harris, Purcell, Jones, Agim, Williams, Stephen (PS: Spencer, Harris)

OLB (4) Miller, Chubb, Reed, Cooper (PS: Mintze)

ILB (4) Jewel, Johnson, Browning, Strnad

CB (6): Fuller, Darby, Callahan, PS2, Motley, Vincent Jr   PUP: Bassey IR: Ojemudia (PS: McCain III)

S (5): Simmons, Jackson, Sterns, Locke, Johnson (PS: Marshall)

Special Teams (3)

K: McManus

P: Martin (Lets get the Rams Punter! Guy was fire!)

LS: Bobenmoyer

Do we have deepest secondary in the league feels like it probably are the deepest at wr no question.  Rbs are nice too with Teddy starting I think both rbs have a shot at a 1000 yards. I see Lock going in as soon as Williams gets hot and the offense is already a well oiled machine until then Teddy can be the catalyst just how I see it playing out .

On 8/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

Only one of those names would garner interest on a 53 man roster, which is Benson. Hinton (for all of Vic's hyping in OTAs) has no quality WR tape and he committed two Special Teams penalties against Seattle. Williams has struggled in camp from what I've read, and he has made one significant catch that came on a broken play. He's almost definitely not latching onto a 53 man roster.

To trade a guy who is a proven NFL WR like Tim Patrick for (at best) a 4th round pick to ensure a totally unknown NFL commodity like Trinity Benson can play, seems like a poor plan in my opinion.

Let's see where we are at come the trade deadline.

Hinton gone too.

Some others, with Stevie Scott also gone. Klis reporting Robinson, Himmelman, Fort, Schlottmann, Cleveland and Williams could be PS candidates.

• Like 2

I think Williams & Schlottman are locks for the PS if they clear waivers.  Rypien too (duh).  The only thing that gives a decent chance is this is happening at the same time with 31 other teams.   Going from 90 to 53 guys in 1 go.    Now that the PS rules allow more roster flexibility in who can be stashed there we’ll see this more & more.