Preseason Week 1 GDT - Trey Lance Debut

N4L

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Austin Watkins will definitely be released and then put on IR. 

Three more cuts to go! 

I was hoping we'd put him on Active PUP to free up a roster space, than put him on inactive PUP at the start of the season. 2 weeks on pre-season PUP and 6 weeks on regular season PUP would give him 8 weeks of rest time, which is what they're saying is needed.

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My hopes for Huf after we drafted him was that he would be a special teams stand out and provide decent depth at box safety and stay away from deep coverage responsibilities. 

Well, after the conclusion of TC and post preseason week 1 game, I feel like he's exceeding my expectations and proving me wrong as well.

I'm trying to temper my positive and negative reactions to our rookies right now, but it's really hard to not get really excited about Huf.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

My hopes for Huf after we drafted him was that he would be a special teams stand out and provide decent depth at box safety and stay away from deep coverage responsibilities. 

Well, after the conclusion of TC and post preseason week 1 game, I feel like he's exceeding my expectations and proving me wrong as well.

I'm trying to temper my positive and negative reactions to our rookies right now, but it's really hard to not get really excited about Huf.

Same and with how Tartt probably wont play any time soon, he will probably will have a chance to play a good amount. I just wanted a special teams standout out of him. Glad it seems to potentially have something special with him but we will see how it plays out.

• Like 1

So Lance still isn't getting first team reps and I think at this point it is pretty clear Jimmy will be the QB for this season...For as long as he can stay healthy since I think his play is going to be good enough and the team will be winning a whole a lot of games. 

It is what it is, looks like Shanny really did want the Smith/Mahomes set up in year one. 

• Like 1

Chris Simms is still so butthurt about being wrong about Mac Jones. Lance does put a lot of stank on a lot of his throws, but he’s definitely shown the ability to put touch on passes when needed. I really can’t wait for him to start backtracking at some point.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-trey-lance-must-diversify-throw-repertoire-chris-simms-says

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Lance still isn't getting first team reps and I think at this point it is pretty clear Jimmy will be the QB for this season...For as long as he can stay healthy since I think his play is going to be good enough and the team will be winning a whole a lot of games. 

It is what it is, looks like Shanny really did want the Smith/Mahomes set up in year one. 

Agreed. Not a problem for me. Would I prefer just to start Lance? Sure. But it's weird when people like Grant go crazy over it. I legit don't get how going either direction is a bad call. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Do you guys think Hasty makes the 53?

The fumbles are definitely an issue but he is a hard runner and has pretty good vision. Saw he had 10/62/1 TD the other night.

Thought he looked very solid last year too.

If everyone were healthy, I'd say no. But Wilson is hurt, now Mitchell..so I think that there's a reasonable chance he hangs around. Once those guys are ready to come back though, his spot could easily be in jeopardy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Agreed. Not a problem for me. Would I prefer just to start Lance? Sure. But it's weird when people like Grant go crazy over it. I legit don't get how going either direction is a bad call. 

I would have liked Lance as well so he could go through his growing pains right now but clearly there are things he needs to work on. Another issue is that you hardly see a young QB go to a team ready to compete now. This is a stacked roster and Shanny knows he's going to win a lot of games with Jimmy...He thinks he can win a lot of games with Lance, but there is still some uncertainty there. 

So in the meantime he will get Lance some reps during the game and will want him to get his feet wet that way. 

All I know is this better not be like Tua/Fitzpatrick situation. Do not just go with Lance when the team is rolling because you planned him to take over at a certain point. Either you go with him from week 1 or you don't all season until there is an injury. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It was pretty bad watching the Chiefs announcing crew here in the Tulsa area. They didn't even bother mentioning anything any 9er did. Never told us who made the stop or play...very unprofessional. 

So, re-watching via Gamepass--love it!

I was also on a KC feed during the game.  They didn't even do the whole "starting on offense/defense/whatever" for any of the Niners players.  I think they mentioned Jimmy's name at the very beginning and then never once mentioned any Niner player the rest of the game.  It was really weird.  I get that it's a local feed and it's pre-season, but that's not sports announcing to me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Try not to be too sad J. 49ers can still go very far with Jimbo. 

• Like 1