Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What’s ridiculous?  We spent a first round pick on a linebacker and I think most of us like Holcomb.  Bostic isn’t ideal but I like Hudson as depth.  Is it an amazing group? No, but I wouldn’t call it “ridiculous”.

We have 4 LBs or 5 if you include Mayo who sucked so bad that they cut him. Bostic should’ve been replaced last season, Davis was struggling through practice and preseason which is expected. Holcomb is a good player. I get you can’t fix everything but was keeping DeAndre Carter and Darryl Roberts so vital that you couldn’t have released both and added some backers? 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We have 4 LBs or 5 if you include Mayo who sucked so bad that they cut him. Bostic should’ve been replaced last season, Davis was struggling through practice and preseason which is expected. Holcomb is a good player. I get you can’t fix everything but was keeping DeAndre Carter and Darryl Roberts so vital that you couldn’t have released both and added some backers? 

The roster isn’t final. Rivera said we will make moves at LB. Not sure what it will be, maybe it will be Bernadrick McKinney or signing someone from a practice squad or a trade. I guess we’ll see what we do.

I also have said for a while that instead of forcing Jamin to play MLB as a rookie, they should play him at his more  natural position of WLB & have Bostic be the starting MLB. Bostic outside is a disaster & Jamin didn’t seem ready to play middle. Flipping the two in those spots would be better for our D IMO.

Everyone expects us to play a lot of 3 safety looks this year too with Curl, McCain & Collins being on the field together. They call or Buffalo nickel & we did it some last year before Collins got hurt. 

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

The roster isn’t final. Rivera said we will make moves at LB. Not sure what it will be, maybe it will be Bernadrick McKinney or signing someone from a practice squad or a trade. I guess we’ll see what we do.

Everyone expects us to play a lot of 3 safety looks this year too with Curl, McCain & Collins being on the field together. They call or Buffalo nickel & we did it some last year before Collins got hurt. 

and Collins is a linebacker/ They are just not telling or calling him that 🧐

• Like 2

Honestly, the biggest problem with the LB group is probably going to be something that we likely don’t want to talk about: it’s really tough for rookie MLBs to make the transition from college to the pros, and Jamin Davis is probably going to struggle. 

On the defensive side of the ball, MLB is kind of a combination of QB and TE. Like QB, so much is about your eyes and recognition ability — and understanding of where everyone is supposed to be and when — and opposing teams go to great lengths to try to disguise and fool you. And like TE, you have significant responsibilities in both run and pass, plus you have to develop comfort and a feel for all the space in the middle of the field (both vertically and horizontally). It’s a full field position, you can’t just play half the field and make half the reads like other positions can.

We know that both QBs and TEs typically take a long time, often a couple years, to get up to speed. I think it’s less talked-about that the same is true of MLBs. Patrick Queen was one of the lowest-rated players in the league last season. Kenneth Murray wasn’t much better. Even super-studs like Devin White and Roquan Smith weren’t great as rookies. 

That doesn’t have too much to do with the depth issues, because it’s not like you’re going to bench Jamin Davis for one of the backup LBs. He needs to play to get better. But if we lose Bostic and/or Holcomb, and get into a situation where we’re playing Jamin alongside a couple of these weak bench guys instead of a couple solid veterans — that could get ugly. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

To follow up, though, one nice thing about the state of the LB position is that the piece that’s missing (if we consider Davis and Holcomb both long-term pieces) is one of the easier positions to find in the draft: a WLB type who can run, cover, and just generally make plays. You don’t have to use a 1st round pick to address that spot, the 2nd and 3rd rounds are usually chock full of that kind of player. 

In today’s game, you can often just plug a S/LB tweener into that spot and turn him loose. Like what Carolina has done with Jeremy Chinn, for example. Once upon a time, Carolina also did that with a guy named Thomas Davis, and he developed into a heck of an all-around LB. 

56 minutes ago, e16bball said:

To follow up, though, one nice thing about the state of the LB position is that the piece that’s missing (if we consider Davis and Holcomb both long-term pieces) is one of the easier positions to find in the draft: a WLB type who can run, cover, and just generally make plays. You don’t have to use a 1st round pick to address that spot, the 2nd and 3rd rounds are usually chock full of that kind of player. 

In today’s game, you can often just plug a S/LB tweener into that spot and turn him loose. Like what Carolina has done with Jeremy Chinn, for example. Once upon a time, Carolina also did that with a guy named Thomas Davis, and he developed into a heck of an all-around LB. 

Heck, Hudson can play that position as long as he makes a few more strides, Collins can do it but if Hudson doesn’t do enough development I agree that they should draft someone next year in the mid rounds.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’d like to see Bostic play MLB until Davis is ready as I think Davis is a better fit as a WLB anyways but, I do understand in the concept of having people learn on the fly so that should hopefully be good for Davis.

I do remember a day when Lavar Arrington didn’t start as a rookie though in 2000 bc he wasn’t mentally ready and Greg Jones started over for him for about a month of that season.

Edited by turtle28

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Heck, Hudson can play that position as long as he makes a few more strides, Collins can do it but if Hudson doesn’t do enough development I agree that they should draft someone next year in the mid rounds.

Mid rounds ? I think we'll draft a First round L B for the next two years . Concentrate on one position like we did the D-line for what 4 years in a row ! 👅

10 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Mid rounds ? I think we'll draft a First round L B for the next two years . Concentrate on one position like we did the D-line for what 4 years in a row ! 👅

Nah, we need to draft a QB to develop. I want us to draft 2 LBs next year but I don’t want it in round 1, I want a QB.

We have 3 young LBs on our roster right now & if Hudson makes strides he could be a starter at WLB this year or next. 

I could see Holcomb (SLB), Davis (MLB) & Hudson (WLB) being our starting LBs at some point this season & definitely next season.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, we need to draft a QB to develop. I want us to draft 2 LBs next year but I don’t want it in round 1, I want a QB.

We have 3 young LBs on our roster right now & if Hudson makes strides he could be a starter at WLB this year or next. 

I could see Holcomb (SLB), Davis (MLB) & Hudson (WLB) being our starting LBs at some point this season & definitely next season.

I like Hudson but he's so UnderSized for the NFL.. I don't have high hopes for him . You need your backers to bring a load !

• Like 1