Roster/Cuts Thread

e16bball

@Thaiphoon I actually wonder why Rivera didn’t just move Apke to SS. He’s fast and hits/tackles well as long as things are infront of him. I guess they were stacked at the S position so maybe that’s why, but I could see Apke being another Dirty Thirty.

Like Landry & Collins too you don’t want him as a FS and trying to cover deep routes vs speedy WRs downfield but I think Apke could be a good SS. Run support, covering the flats with his speed, having some TE coverage responsibilities.

Oh well, that ship has sailed for now at least. He’s our last corner.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@Thaiphoon I actually wonder why Rivera didn’t just move Apke to SS. He’s fast and hits/tackles well as long as things are infront of him. I guess they were stacked at the S position so maybe that’s why, but I could see Apke being another Dirty Thirty.

Like Landry & Collins too you don’t want him as a FS and trying to cover deep routes vs speedy WRs downfield but I think Apke could be a good SS. Run support, covering the flats with his speed, having some TE coverage responsibilities.

Didn't he start out at Safety? I mean at some point, didn't he get a look at SS and not perform? I kinda want to say yes here on that point.

Oh well, that ship has sailed for now at least. He’s our last corner.

Yeah, I mean it is what it is. 

19 hours ago, e16bball said:

We just might not know for sure until a year or two from now. 

Emphasis on two.  Of the ten linebackers drafted in the first round from 2018-2020, only Vander Esch had a pff rating above 67 in their first season.  Worth keeping in mind this season as we (over) react to Davis's ups and downs.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-5-disappointing-rookies-from-2020-jeff-okudah-andrew-thomas-patrick-queen-isaiah-wilson-henry-ruggs

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Didn't he start out at Safety? I mean at some point, didn't he get a look at SS and not perform? I kinda want to say yes here on that point.

I believe he was Rivera's darling of the 2020 training camp and if my memory is correct he is one of the reasons we let Sean Davis go.  Then once the regular season started he was promptly benched.

In reality though I question keeping Mycter and Roberts just as much.  We basically kept 3 defensive backs over moreland  who are all question marks.  Roberts is often injured and while he has been decent, he is also 30 years old.  He isn't going to suddenly become elite.  Mctyer is more intriguing because he is young.  But I think he is more of a practice squad type of guy than moreland.

Overall I like the roster.  I only question a couple spots.  The good news is we can still flip flop on the moreland situation.  We won't know if cutting barber was a mistake for several games as we need to see a bunch of short yardage situations before a conclusion can be made.  I question that move because Barber really delivered last year, but the truth is that RBs are always available.

The big question we all have is LB.  We may look back and wish we upgraded this position earlier in the offseason, but at this point there really hasn't been a lot of opportunities to improve.  If Davis quickly turns into what we all hope he will be, then this will be ok.  Plus that dline will make these guys look better than they are.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I mean it is what it is. 

I don’t remember him ever playing SS where he’d play closer to the line of scrimmage. He was a college FS & he’s played FS for us too. Last year they had him playing single high a lot do the first month of the season and he got burned bc he has poor recognition and instincts as a FS. He took bad angles to get the ball in the air and all that. But as a SS, he wouldn’t have to worry about that.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, noptov52 said:

Emphasis on two.  Of the ten linebackers drafted in the first round from 2018-2020, only Vander Esch had a pff rating above 67 in their first season.  Worth keeping in mind this season as we (over) react to Davis's ups and downs.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-5-disappointing-rookies-from-2020-jeff-okudah-andrew-thomas-patrick-queen-isaiah-wilson-henry-ruggs

Definitely agree.

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Good for him. I hope he does well there. I’m sure Twitter is going nuts, but I think people are going to be excited w/ our top 3 corners of Fuller, Jackson & Juice.

Until one of them gets hurt and Apke has to play but it’s not like that would ever happen....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

McTyer will play before Apke & I would think Robert’s would also.

And you say that like it eases my concerns. Jimmy Moreland was better than both of them. And that’s from actual evidence seen on the field. Moreland wasn’t some world beater or great but he has a lot of potential and played very well when put out there. Rivera overthought this one. It was a dumb move. 

• Like 1