Around the League 2022

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I mean results have to show but we haven’t done it this way in years. We’re building the right way, stockpiling assets, investing in the right places, not wasting money on aging veterans. Still gotta get it done on the field though for sure.

Yeah I think the results have to start changing sooner rather than later.

I have stated throughout this offseason that building through the draft is really refreshing to see but I would of like Ltd more in FA. And by more I suppose I mean more sure things. 

1 minute ago, KimuraGod said:

Yeah I think the results have to start changing sooner rather than later.

I have stated throughout this offseason that building through the draft is really refreshing to see but I would of like Ltd more in FA. And by more I suppose I mean more sure things. 

I think we have to build some equity among players in the league to get those guys you’re eyeing. That or overpay but I’m glad Joe ended the Jet tax nonsense. Once the winning starts the hope is you can lure in those guys to help put you over the top.

9 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think we have to build some equity among players in the league to get those guys you’re eyeing. That or overpay but I’m glad Joe ended the Jet tax nonsense. Once the winning starts the hope is you can lure in those guys to help put you over the top.

I get what your saying but we also heard last year that players all around the league wanted to play for Saleh. I don’t think that allure was as accurate as the media made out. 

No reason why we can’t sign a Tyrann Mathieu or La’el Collins who both are available  and clearly not getting the contract that wanted. That’s where JD could pull of a nice move here and there. Bringing in quality and leaders. 

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

I get what your saying but we also heard last year that players all around the league wanted to play for Saleh. I don’t think that allure was as accurate as the media made out. 

No reason why we can’t sign a Tyrann Mathieu or La’el Collins who both are available  and clearly not getting the contract that wanted. That’s where JD could pull of a nice move here and there. Bringing in quality and leaders. 

You know it’s never that simple. 

This move by the Browns to trade for Watson, just shows teams that are SB contenders will go all out to get a player to put them over the top. Giving up three first round picks and a third round pick. But they really give up four first round picks, what about when  they had the first overall pick in the draft and picked up Mayfield. Now what the hell can they get for Mayfield? I like the way Douglas is building the Jets, over the years the two blockbuster trades were the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker to the Viking for a bunch of first round picks and the Viking trading Fran Tarkenton to the Giants for a another bunch of first round picks. Both the Cowboys & Vikings both went to multiple Super Bowls because of all the first round picks the received. The Giants suck for ten years after that trade. The bottom line is keep your draft picks

Another history lesson from Doumeyer

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

This move by the Browns to trade for Watson, just shows teams that are SB contenders will go all out to get a player to put them over the top. Giving up three first round picks and a third round pick. But they really give up four first round picks, what about when  they had the first overall pick in the draft and picked up Mayfield. Now what the hell can they get for Mayfield? I like the way Douglas is building the Jets, over the years the two blockbuster trades were the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker to the Viking for a bunch of first round picks and the Viking trading Fran Tarkenton to the Giants for a another bunch of first round picks. Both the Cowboys & Vikings both went to multiple Super Bowls because of all the first round picks the received. The Giants suck for ten years after that trade. The bottom line is keep your draft picks

Another history lesson from Doumeyer

True but for every argument  there’s a counter argument.

Like we’ve literally just seen the Rams win the Super Bowl based of big acquisitions in FA and trade. 

Last years winners Tampa were very similar. 

There’s no need to do all or nothing. We can continue to build through the draft but also use FA/trade to bring in top players also. It’s doesn’t have to be one way or another. There is a thing called happy medium!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You know it’s never that simple. 

True but it’s not simple for any of these franchises. It’s actually easier having lots of cap room and tons of picks yet I don’t know if we really closed the gap in the AFCEast in FA. Sure we improved but I don’t think we did enough. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

True but it’s not simple for any of these franchises. It’s actually easier having lots of cap room and tons of picks yet I don’t know if we really closed the gap in the AFCEast in FA. Sure we improved but I don’t think we did enough. 

You never know what’s enough until you see the team hit the field. Like look at the best team in our division. Outside of trading for Diggs what did they really do year over year since hiring their current regime that we haven’t done?

I always say this but you never know if a team is making the right moves until it proved itself on the field. No one thought the Bills were doing it right until they won the division and then it’s like oh they get it. 

We just gotta have our moment like that. And when we do the true question is, is this sustainable or is it a flash in the pan?

I think a lot of us maybe worried too soon. I've had my concerns as well, but there is still the draft and 2 other waves of free agency. On top of that, there is always a summer hold out from a top target that leads to trade talks. We're not following anyone's footsteps on how we are building this team. We're building a team others will have to adapt to. If all we're looking for on offense is a good WR, we have a lot of time & money to make it happen. 

CJ, Conklin, and Tomlinson really upgraded the offense for me. Tomlinson is a probowl guard. Him and AVT together is a great combination. AVT now has a probowl example to follow. The right side improves on this and it makes McGovern's job easier. CJ & Conklin are known as good blockers, but also receiving threats. They both had to share the ball with other great targets CJ (Chase,Higgins, Boyd, Mixon) Conklin (Thielen, Jefferson, and Cook). So their numbers could have been higher.

I recently looked over the last Miami, Buffalo, and Tampa games. We were some how competitive with the amount of gaps and injuries in the roster. The TE position wasn't considered an option as a receiving threat, WRs were injured, and the defenses loaded the box. Now we're returning with Becton, improved AVT, Tomlinson, 2 TEs, improved Carter, and a healthy WR core. Remember, Tampa couldn't stop Berrios and there was literally no one else on the field at that point and we lost Carter early. So far, we have 4 other receiving options coming with 2 starters on the oline coming. So I believe this offense would have beaten those teams. 

For defense, the middle of the defense was the biggest problem to me. DL,LB, and S. We couldn't stop Duke Johnson from rushing 100yds+, We couldn't stop Gronk, and the Singletary/Allen rushing combo. It does seem like we're aiming for those positions in the draft. So I think we will be fine. 

If JD finishes this offseason correctly and Saleh's team can really develop players, we could end up being a lot better than people expected. DE, DT, OLB, S, and WR could possibly be handled with just our top-3 rounds in this draft alone. 

11 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Yes but look were all the tier one FA playmakers went all to SB contenders. Players all around the NFL are still not sure about Wilson. Just like there are still people on our board that are not sure about Wilson yet. Zach Wilson is the key to the 2022 season. 

8 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Yes but look were all the tier one FA playmakers went all to SB contenders. Players all around the NFL are still not sure about Wilson. Just like there are still people on our board that are not sure about Wilson yet. Zach Wilson is the key to the 2022 season. 

Of course I understand that. It would be very difficult to get a Adams or someone of that quality in free agency. 

On the defense side of the ball though I would expect us to be competitive. Especially as the feeling around the league was players (defensive) wanted to play for Saleh. 

Let’s just see how things shake out after the draft. I would of liked a better outcome after free agency but it’s been and gone now. I think JD has done his business and will be concentrating his time on the draft.