Preseason Week 3: Packers at Bills

packfanfb

3 hours ago, Green19 said:

My biggest issue with GBs approach in the preseason is if they are looking to see what they have in Love... did we really get any closer?

Like I understand the argument that we won’t know until he is given a full season and time in meaningful games... so I get all of that.

BUT... if we want to get close to seeing what life after Rodgers looks like. Love wouldn’t be operating with Nijman as his starting LT against most of the bills starting defense. Taylor as his number one wr... etc.

Its great reps for young unproven guys verses proven starters. But it feels like Love was setup to not do well. And he would only ever have marginal success at best and maybe he is himself marginal but it’s like a bad test for him. 

It just feels like even giving Love reps... it didn’t really do any good for anyone. In practice at least he will get a rep here and there with the starters.

Their approach is to not get guys injured, it has nothing to do with Love.

I agree it would be nice to see Love get some better-quality reps, but his reps this preseason weren't useless by any means. Today he played against a good defense playing all its starters, and IMO he looked like he belonged. As another poster said, at this point that's really all that matters. If the point of this season was to evaluate and develop Love, he would be our starting QB. Fortunately this team has other ambitions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I agree it would be nice to see Love get some better-quality reps, but his reps this preseason weren't useless by any means. Today he played against a good defense playing all its starters, and IMO he looked like he belonged. As another poster said, at this point that's really all that matters. If the point of this season was to evaluate and develop Love, he would be our starting QB. Fortunately this team has other ambitions.

I'm not so sure that Love didn't get pretty good quality reps.  He got time against defensive starters against both the Texans and Bills.  He got a lot of time working with the likely starting interior offensive line.  He played with AJ Dillon and Kylin Hill, who will be in the offensive plans.  And he worked with the WRs that he is probably more familiar with.

Besides, if Davante had been playing, we would all have been like "WTF?" when Malik Taylor made the team.  That dude took it to CBs this preseason. Taylor and Kylin Hill both kicked in the door and took their roster spots, much like we wish a CB or OLB would have done.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

Those Bills announcers were pathetic.  They got all excited over their starters beating up on a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers who most won't be around in a few days.  lol

I mean that's every single team's local guy's for preseason so at least I'm used to that part. That time the guy literally was making no sense. First he said the timeout forces us to pass them seconds later he's like oh now they can run it or something... It was weird

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

This is omsetjung that really can't be understated, the differences in our injury list under McCarthy and MLF have been extremely noticeable. If seeing far less of prominent players in preseason is a part of this process, and it surely is, then I'm all for it. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Paul Bretl -   Per PFF in coverage:

Yiadom: 6 rec | 8 tgts | 12.3 ypc | TD | 0 PBU

Ento: 3 rec | 4 tgts | 10.7 ypc | 0 PBU

And I loved how the announcers were fawning over how great Josh Allen was. They were ready to anoint him the second coming. 

13 minutes ago, R T said:

Well those flavors of the week melted fast.

My read on Yiadom from early on was his ST play. These stats reinforce that perspective.
It might seem odd, but I wonder if the potential of getting hurt (and having possible career altering consequences) got into the heads of any of these bubble guys. As a group, they didnt impress....or perhaps more to the point....they performed exactly as bubble guys would be expected. 

23 hours ago, craig said:

Over-under for Packer cuts who get claimed to other 53-man rosters?  Whether it's 1 or 0.5, I'll take the under, I think?  Not sure how many of the 16 PS-spots that they'll go outside to fill.  But I'd guess Gute can pretty much PS-anybody from the existing roster that he wants to keep.  

What makes this a bit more of a toss up this year is the 5 players already put on the IR, but I still think someone will be claimed. Gutes has spoken often about how deep this team is and I doubt other GM's are blind to it either. My guess would be a lineman or CB.