Week 1 GDT: Cleveland vs. The politically incorrect team from Kansas City

MWil23

Who will win?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• The Browns
    • The Chiefs. Did you forget that it's Week 1? They're 1-20-1 in Week 1 since the return.
    • Hornby
    • Kiwi
    • Who cares? Our head coach is an absolute salt and pepper FOX.

This loss sucked to hell. I promised myself I didn’t care if we lost, I just wanted a good game. Well we got a good game. We played them toe to toe. But we lost and I was pissed. If it wasn’t for the two fumbles and that really lucky td to Hill we could have taken it. But we didn’t. But we’re young and inexperienced and I think Stefanski will teach these cats to learn from it. 

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’m hoping it’s because they wanted more man to man beaters. However, that wouldn’t explain the lack of touches for DPJ.

Based upon what I saw, they loved their heavy personnel in matchup beaters (Njoku, Hooper, Jan), running a lot of double TE, with Jarvis and Schwartz on the outside to stretch those safeties to open up the running game and intermediate TE throws.

I think that we'll see a lot of matchup personnel groupings on a week to week scale depending upon our opponent's strength. For example, I see the Steelers posing a huge threat with their elite LB/S play, so I could see us try to expose their secondary a bit more and use the quick game to open up running lanes.

JMHO

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Based upon what I saw, they loved their heavy personnel in matchup beaters (Njoku, Hooper, Jan), running a lot of double TE, with Jarvis and Schwartz on the outside to stretch those safeties to open up the running game and intermediate TE throws.

I think that we'll see a lot of matchup personnel groupings on a week to week scale depending upon our opponent's strength. For example, I see the Steelers posing a huge threat with their elite LB/S play, so I could see us try to expose their secondary a bit more and use the quick game to open up running lanes.

JMHO

I think there was also an effort to control the ball and TOP against the chiefs.

I don’t mind a shootout against most teams, but not that one.

I think other weeks you try to place faster and make teams keep up.  Many won’t be able to.

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Offensively, PFF gave 80 grades to Njoku, Schwartz, Conklin, and Baker was close except for the INT. 

Joel got the highest grade out of everybody in the 90’s.

PFF was rough on Wyatt being in the 60’s.

I'm 100% with you on Njoku. I'd pay him and lock him up. He's a valuable downfield threat and has turned into an absolutely fantastic blocker in this system as well.

Conklin is great in the run game, but didn't do quite as well in pass pro as I'd have wanted to down the stretch.

Schwartz showed that dynamic play-making ability and potential. He adds a different "blow the top off" dynamic that we didn't have last year.

Baker played awesome minus 1 pass at the end.

TBH, if Teller isn't playing at an elite level, we aren't going to pay him big money and will roll with a replacement level RG. We can't pay everyone, and I don't believe our nerds will pay a RG premier money anyway.

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Offensively, PFF gave 80 grades to Njoku, Schwartz, Conklin, and Baker was close except for the INT. 

Joel got the highest grade out of everybody in the 90’s.

PFF was rough on Wyatt being in the 60’s.

Chris Jones will do that to a fella.

I expect a bounce back week against Vincent Taylor.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think there was also an effort to control the ball and TOP against the chiefs.

I don’t mind a shootout against most teams, but not that one.

Absolutely; no question about it. And it worked like a charm for the first 2.5 quarters, and if Chubb doesn't fumble, it may work the entire game. As explosive and "unstoppable" as KC was, they only managed 10 first half points, and even that opening drive in the 2nd half used up 1/2 of the 3rd Quarter. If we respond with points there, it's 25-17 or 29-17 headed to the fourth, and I like our chances there.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think other weeks you try to place faster and make teams keep up.  Many won’t be able to.

No doubt, especially with how this team is built on the EDGE and in the secondary. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

So... Mack Wilson still sucks. Malcolm Smith was also embarrassingly bad as well.

https://imgur.com/a/ca0Nimw

Wilson was our 2nd best LB at stopping the run by PFF

also to just defend Mack a little bit. His passing grade was when he got targeted when covering Hill and Kelce. But when you look at the stats pff provides. Mack allowed two catches on two targets. The catch by Hill, he is being credited for allowing Hill to catch a ball for -6 yards. His other Target was with Kelce and allowed a 17yard catch that went with 7YAC. I don’t know how thst comes to a pass coverage grade of 33.