Bears sign Breshad Perriman

Heinz D.

Allen Robinson II/ Damiere Byrd

Darnell Mooney/ Breshad Perriman

Marquise Goodwin/ Nsimba Webster

Odd WR core cutting Rodney Adams and Newsome two promising players.  Perriman I guess makes sense because he is a vet and does get stats put up from time to time, has size and speed.  Not real familiar with Webster, I assume he is just a speed guy also.  And is Goodwin back, I liked him a lot the 49ers especially that one really good season he had but he has not been wildly productive since 2017 and was out of football totally in 2020.  Great he is back but not sure I would rely on him just yet.

Overall though what the Bears are trying to start a track relay team?  Tons of these guys just seem like speed guys, Byrd is another decent small receiver with speed but what else?  Adams and Newsome provided a little toughness I thought especially Adams with the catches he made.  Just odd choices, odd Adams is not on the practice squad either, sure he has been around but thought his preseason play was enough to at least get on the practice squad.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Overall though what the Bears are trying to start a track relay team?  Tons of these guys just seem like speed guys, Byrd is another decent small receiver with speed but what else?  Adams and Newsome provided a little toughness I thought especially Adams with the catches he made.  Just odd choices, odd Adams is not on the practice squad either, sure he has been around but thought his preseason play was enough to at least get on the practice squad.  

I liked Adams for his combination of toughness, athleticism, and KR ability. I was surprised they cut him only to turn around and sign another PR.

If you have a team with a questionable OL that may stymie your run game and not give your less-mobile QB time to throw, what would you look for in WR?  Genuinely asking here; does the speed help as they can hopefully get open quickly or is it going to be a hindrance to have the QB waiting on guys to get way downfield? Or does the speed mean that coverage gets spread out so that the underneath and checkdown stuff remains viable? Again, real question here. 

I guess another way to look at it, if you're defending against a team like the Bears, what do you see and how do you attack it? Middling QB, questionable ends of the OL, maybe good TE?  Pretty good RB room,  a few very good WR and a bunch of fast WR.  Do you blitz more, or are you confident that you can get pressure with your DL and sit more guys in coverage and wait for the OL to collapse?

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

This is exactly it. He's stubborn beyond reason, cutting off his nose to spite his own face.

Perriman is just the new Wims, with likely a few more reps as a decoy. He brings nothing to special teams, so Wims but more expensive.

Actually less costly I believe.  His cap hit is only $850k and the guy does have a career AYPC of 16.5 so he does get open one deeper routes and assuming we can protect our QBs well enough for that to happen he could help or at least help more than Wims did.

But I still have my doubts we'll ever be able to establish a strong running game under Nagy.  As soon as the other guys block up the run he abandons it and becomes the mad bomber as a play caller.  Even when Lazor showed him how it's done last year it still failed once he took back the call sheet.

Edited by soulman

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Allen Robinson II/ Damiere Byrd

Darnell Mooney/ Breshad Perriman

Marquise Goodwin/ Nsimba Webster

Odd WR core cutting Rodney Adams and Newsome two promising players.  Perriman I guess makes sense because he is a vet and does get stats put up from time to time, has size and speed.  Not real familiar with Webster, I assume he is just a speed guy also.  And is Goodwin back, I liked him a lot the 49ers especially that one really good season he had but he has not been wildly productive since 2017 and was out of football totally in 2020.  Great he is back but not sure I would rely on him just yet.

I kind of think they're throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks when looking at Byrd/Perriman/Goodwin/Webster.

In a sense this is more about "what do we want to surround Justin Fields with in 2022."

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, G08 said:

I kind of think they're throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks when looking at Byrd/Perriman/Goodwin/Webster.

In a sense this is more about "what do we want to surround Justin Fields with in 2022."

It called "Speed Kills" or so they hope.  These guys all run in the 4.2-4.4 range.

If anyone is still seeking an answer for why ARob was not extended here it is.  He runs somewhere around a 4.6.

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

It called "Speed Kills" or so they hope.  These guys all run in the 4.2-4.4 range.

If anyone is still seeking an answer for why ARob was not extended here it is.  He runs somewhere around a 4.6.

True Goodwin almost made the Olympics if I remember correctly but again has not played productive football for quite some time.  Obvious he is trying to find their Tyreek Hill, too bad the Bears do not have near the OL talent or OL coaching the Chiefs do.  All that Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce stuff would simply not work if the Chiefs had a crap OL which often gets overlooked, they made it to the Super bowl and what were missing three if not four starters on the OL.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Chiefs had a crap OL which often gets overlooked, they made it to the Super bowl and what were missing three if not four starters on the OL.  

Their OL's inability to hold up is also why they lost the super bowl vs the Buccs, too. Not even Mahomes can carry the team when he's busy running for his life.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

Their OL's inability to hold up is also why they lost the super bowl vs the Buccs, too. Not even Mahomes can carry the team when he's busy running for his life.

I sure hope a team without three or four starting offensive lineman lose the Super bowl!  The fact they got there is simply nuts and the backups were not terrible either which shows the depth and quality OL coaching they have.  

3 hours ago, G08 said:

You're probably right about that.

But...not exactly the route I would have taken...

3 hours ago, G08 said:

When some of the roadrunner speggetti fall off the wall I bet Adam's and Newsome are back.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bfan said:

When some of the roadrunner speggetti fall off the wall I bet Adam's and Newsome are back.

I was a bit surprise they cut Newsome until I read more about the new guy from SF, Webster.

He's not Patterson or Cohen but he's a decently experienced return guy whose also a top shelf "gunner" and if anyone has been paying attention to punt coverage we needed one.  Neither Newsome of Adams could have handled that role.

We had McManis for so long we forget just how important defensive roles are on ST and McManis and CP were both very good gunners.

As for Perriman, with both Wims and Ridley gone the help wanted sign was out for a bigger WR   With the exception of ARod the rest are all Smurfs weighing in at less than 190lbs.  Perriman has ARob size and Mooney's speed and he came cheap, $850k cap.  At best he's probably a #4 or #5 WR but he does have experience and documented production.  Newsome and Adams are on the PS now so nothing has been lost.

12 hours ago, soulman said:

Actually less costly I believe.  His cap hit is only $850k and the guy does have a career AYPC of 16.5 so he does get open one deeper routes and assuming we can protect our QBs well enough for that to happen he could help or at least help more than Wims did.

Cool, I would've assumed that the vet min is more expensive than a 7th rounder. He can at least be a decoy, he had a solid year as a wr3 for Tampa.

But I still have my doubts we'll ever be able to establish a strong running game under Nagy.  As soon as the other guys block up the run he abandons it and becomes the mad bomber as a play caller.  Even when Lazor showed him how it's done last year it still failed once he took back the call sheet.

Yeah, is it narcissism and ego, or something delusional? It's just so strange to be so script dependent and as soon as you have to go off-script, you completely panic and deuce the bed.

Then be so defensive when the media questions it. Strange guy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soulman said:

Robinson is a stud WR (top 10 in the league, IMO), but I worry if he's a "Dwayne Bowe" in this system

• Like 1

19 hours ago, G08 said:

The only thing I question is with Goodwin, he has been running with the 1s the whole camp and was rested every pre season game like Robinson and Mooney. Whether he shows he was worth doing that is yet to be seen.