Bears sign Breshad Perriman

Heinz D.

From another board/poster, HisRoyalSweetness:

I know nothing about Perriman so I checked his numbers on Pro Football Reference, which has 'advanced' stats for the past 3 seasons.

According to them, Perriman had zero drops in 2018 with Cleveland (25 targets) and zero in 2019 with Tampa Bay (69 targets). He had 3 drops last year with The Jets on 60 targets. This doesn't seem to suggest that he has bad hands.

The other statistic that jumps out is the Average Depth Of Target which in the past three years has been 18.4, 16.3 and 15.1. In 2018 he averaged 21.3 yards per reception with average yards after the catch of 4.7, in 2019 it was 17.9 yards with 3.5 and in 2020 16.8 yards with 5.3.

So it seems clear just from the stats that Perriman is basically a deep threat rather than a guy who catches shorter passes and breaks them for big gains. On average he makes a couple of receptions a game for chunk gains... and as Nagy said 'Big plays are nice. They're good. We need more of those.'

If Perriman (or one of the other new receivers) can do that in Chicago then hopefully that will open up the field for lots of other players to find space underneath and get opportunities to gain plenty of yards after the catch.

Edited by G08
credit where credit is due
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, G08 said:

From another board/poster:

I know nothing about Perriman so I checked his numbers on Pro Football Reference, which has 'advanced' stats for the past 3 seasons.

According to them, Perriman had zero drops in 2018 with Cleveland (25 targets) and zero in 2019 with Tampa Bay (69 targets). He had 3 drops last year with The Jets on 60 targets. This doesn't seem to suggest that he has bad hands.

The other statistic that jumps out is the Average Depth Of Target which in the past three years has been 18.4, 16.3 and 15.1. In 2018 he averaged 21.3 yards per reception with average yards after the catch of 4.7, in 2019 it was 17.9 yards with 3.5 and in 2020 16.8 yards with 5.3.

So it seems clear just from the stats that Perriman is basically a deep threat rather than a guy who catches shorter passes and breaks them for big gains. On average he makes a couple of receptions a game for chunk gains... and as Nagy said 'Big plays are nice. They're good. We need more of those.'

If Perriman (or one of the other new receivers) can do that in Chicago then hopefully that will open up the field for lots of other players to find space underneath and get opportunities to gain plenty of yards after the catch.

Perriman is decent...I don't know that he makes up for the loss of Newsome, or Adams, though--based on the potential of either. 

Unless Newsome wasn't going to be ready to go (and I haven't heard either way), then I think this is (yet another) mistake on Pace's part. 

I would take the potential of Newsome over the known commodity of Perriman eight days a week, and twice on Sunday. 

Also...jettisoning Adams AND Newsome means there is ANOTHER roster spot to fill, doesn't it? 

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Perriman is decent...I don't know that he makes up for the loss of Newsome, or Adams, though--based on the potential of either. 

Unless Newsome wasn't going to be ready to go (and I haven't heard either way), then I think this is (yet another) mistake on Pace's part. 

I would take the potential of Newsome over the known commodity of Perriman eight days a week, and twice on Sunday. 

Also...jettisoning Adams AND Newsome means there is ANOTHER roster spot to fill, doesn't it? 

According to the Bears website they don't have Perriman on the roster yet, so when he is officially added they will have to cut one more player.

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Newsome cleared waivers and is on our practice squad, so he'll get time to develop.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Here is an interesting question, which WR is going to be a game day inactive? As of now I would think the inactives would be a DB, LB Caleb Johnson, OL Simmons,   TE Horsted, plus a WR.

I would think Perriman unless he has ST value.

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

I would think Perriman unless he has ST value.

19 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Perriman doesn't play STs and his role is already filled by Byrd. IMO he's here to provide depth only. His performance in the preseason was not good.

So in typical Bears fashion; they sign a player who will most likely cost more, be inactive because he doesn't play STs, is older, and was bad during the pre season. Makes sense, not disagreeing with you guys that he will be inactive either.

Edited by blkwdw13

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Perriman doesn't play STs and his role is already filled by Byrd. IMO he's here to provide depth only. His performance in the preseason was not good.

I dunno if I agree.  I watched his Jets highlight video.  He's a bigger receiver, has enough speed to get deep, has good hands, and on nearly every catch I saw he created good separation.  If we can visualize him as a replacement for Wims then we've upgraded the position.

It's pretty clear to me that no matter how many time Nagy keeps saying Montgomery will be more involved this year Nagy is still Nagy and we all know he intends to keep throwing the football around a lot so any upgrade at WR can only help.

One thing to consider is gas tanks as well. 

We loaded up on speed so we can take more deep shots because that's a strength of Fields, and because explosive plays has been a relative weakness of the offense.

But constantly pushing deeper routes, and at faster speeds is also harder on the players as well, and that extra rotational piece might be useful just to keep offensive players fresh enough to continue to run sprint deeper routes and stress /wear out the defense. 

Now whether any of that actually ends up working or not, we'll have to see, but at the very least we're finally trying something different from the failed team construction of the last roughly decade... And by doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling down on speed, we're also finally getting pieces to now closely resemble the KC team Nagy is pretty desperate to replicate. 

Ofc, kc doesn't have to try and be fast on the worst playing surface in the nfl, but that's a separate issue xD

I kind of like the signing personally, just because I find the revamp/philosophy shift to be one of the more intriguing storylines for the season..... It's just a matter of whether or not it can end up actually paying dividends for us when I have close to zero faith in the OL's ability to run block to set up play action, or sustain pass blocks long enough for deeper plays to develop without a mobile qb scrambling for their lives. 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

One thing to consider is gas tanks as well. 

We loaded up on speed so we can take more deep shots because that's a strength of Fields, and because explosive plays has been a relative weakness of the offense.

But constantly pushing deeper routes, and at faster speeds is also harder on the players as well, and that extra rotational piece might be useful just to keep offensive players fresh enough to continue to run sprint deeper routes and stress /wear out the defense. 

Now whether any of that actually ends up working or not, we'll have to see, but at the very least we're finally trying something different from the failed team construction of the last roughly decade... And by doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling down on speed, we're also finally getting pieces to now closely resemble the KC team Nagy is pretty desperate to replicate. 

Ofc, kc doesn't have to try and be fast on the worst playing surface in the nfl, but that's a separate issue xD

I kind of like the signing personally, just because I find the revamp/philosophy shift to be one of the more intriguing storylines for the season..... It's just a matter of whether or not it can end up actually paying dividends for us when I have close to zero faith in the OL's ability to run block to set up play action, or sustain pass blocks long enough for deeper plays to develop without a mobile qb scrambling for their lives. 

How often does Tyreek Hill come out of game?

Fast light guys need to be in shape.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soulman said:

It's pretty clear to me that no matter how many time Nagy keeps saying Montgomery will be more involved this year Nagy is still Nagy and we all know he intends to keep throwing the football around a lot so any upgrade at WR can only help.

This is exactly it. He's stubborn beyond reason, cutting off his nose to spite his own face.

Perriman is just the new Wims, with likely a few more reps as a decoy. He brings nothing to special teams, so Wims but more expensive.

• Like 1