What are our top needs in next years draft?

holt_bruce81

Definitely edge rushers. Quinn doesn't seem to be his usual dominating self and Barwin has just been okay. Also, another inside linebacker next to Ogletree. Barron could be a cap casualty next off-season and we need a true thumper.

Really is going to depend on free agency and the balance of the year. I could see four possibilities.

First would be our future LT. Whitworth won't last forever so if we can get a successor to learn from him for a year or two and maybe even play RT or a Guard spot that'd be great. 

Second it it depends on where we pick but as we drop to the late teens I've seen Quinton Nelson. Slide him in at guard for a decade and the line is that much better.

Third is edge rusher. Quinn isn't getting younger but he is expensive. Barwin is signed for just this year also. We did draft some late round guys but a first round impact guy next to AD would be nice.

Lastly a corner. TruJo, Joyner and Nikkell Robby-Coleman are all free agents. We've seen in the past that Wades defense becomes elite with a good secondary. And we all know you can't have too many corners.

Its, imo, going to come down to how the draft order works out and the board falls. Trader Les could also trade down and try to recoup a second rounder we sent to Buffalo.

OLB - I think Quinn is towards the end of his rope unfortunately, while Barwin is on a one year deal. Samson looks to take over Barwin's role though so a guy to take over Quinn's is next.

LT - Whitworth has been stellar, but need a replacement when father time comes.

ILB - I could see Barron being released.

CB - Depends on what we do with Tru, would love to keep him and think the numbers could work, but a corner would be needed if not.

It's been pleasantly strange at the lack of draft talk so far. Amazing how that happens when the team starts playing good football.

I think our biggest needs going into the offseason are:

Shutdown corner: I think we want Tru to stay. I think Tru wants to stay as well. But the fact that he's been franchised two years in a row leaves doubt that they're able to work out a long term deal. If he leaves this becomes even more important, but even with him staying, I think we could use another top end CB.

ILB: I actually have a feeling that the staff likes what we have at ILB. The fact that they signed Tree long term makes that seem evident. Maybe Barron becomes a cap casualty. I think Barron has actually played better than Tree so who knows. Regardless, I think this defense would benefit from a true run stopping ILB.

Heir apparent LT: I think we can all agree that Whitworth has played phenomenal. I think we can also all agree that we know he's not a long term solution. I'm confident that he can give us another season of high level play, so that makes it so this isn't a dire immediate need. But if we can draft a high potential project LT in like third round or so and take allow him to groom behind Whitworth, that would be the best case scenario. This way we'd be able to take advantage of having Whitworth the best we can.

Center: Sullivan has played well, but he's another one who's up there in age and I question his durability. Feels like we've been looking for a center for a long time and it would be nice to have a reliable long term solution at the position.

Edge Rusher: It hurts me to say this since I've been such a huge Quinn fan for so long, but he just hasn't been as productive as we need him to be and it's pretty apparent that he's not a true fit for this defense. Combine that with Barwin only being a one year deal and I don't think it would be a bad idea to try to add some talent here. I think we're all excited about Ebukam, but he's still raw and we'd still need someone opposite of him anyway.

DE/NT: This depends on where they feel Brockers is best fit, as he's played both this year. I'm not confident in them retaining Easley, and we also don't know how well he's going to fit in this defense. And if Brockers moves to DE full time, then I'd like to have someone else to be able to rotate (or start) at NT.

47 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

It's been pleasantly strange at the lack of draft talk so far. Amazing how that happens when the team starts playing good football.

I think our biggest needs going into the offseason are:

Shutdown corner: I think we want Tru to stay. I think Tru wants to stay as well. But the fact that he's been franchised two years in a row leaves doubt that they're able to work out a long term deal. If he leaves this becomes even more important, but even with him staying, I think we could use another top end CB.

ILB: I actually have a feeling that the staff likes what we have at ILB. The fact that they signed Tree long term makes that seem evident. Maybe Barron becomes a cap casualty. I think Barron has actually played better than Tree so who knows. Regardless, I think this defense would benefit from a true run stopping ILB.

Heir apparent LT: I think we can all agree that Whitworth has played phenomenal. I think we can also all agree that we know he's not a long term solution. I'm confident that he can give us another season of high level play, so that makes it so this isn't a dire immediate need. But if we can draft a high potential project LT in like third round or so and take allow him to groom behind Whitworth, that would be the best case scenario. This way we'd be able to take advantage of having Whitworth the best we can.

Center: Sullivan has played well, but he's another one who's up there in age and I question his durability. Feels like we've been looking for a center for a long time and it would be nice to have a reliable long term solution at the position.

Edge Rusher: It hurts me to say this since I've been such a huge Quinn fan for so long, but he just hasn't been as productive as we need him to be and it's pretty apparent that he's not a true fit for this defense. Combine that with Barwin only being a one year deal and I don't think it would be a bad idea to try to add some talent here. I think we're all excited about Ebukam, but he's still raw and we'd still need someone opposite of him anyway.

DE/NT: This depends on where they feel Brockers is best fit, as he's played both this year. I'm not confident in them retaining Easley, and we also don't know how well he's going to fit in this defense. And if Brockers moves to DE full time, then I'd like to have someone else to be able to rotate (or start) at NT.

One thing I'll say is about Center. Sullivan has been great and on those instances he's been hurt Blythe has stepped inand also been great. He's a second year guy and Kromer may end up making him the future at center. Just a thought.

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

One thing I'll say is about Center. Sullivan has been great and on those instances he's been hurt Blythe has stepped inand also been great. He's a second year guy and Kromer may end up making him the future at center. Just a thought.

I dont know if I would say Blythe has been 'great'. We havent seen him enough to make that assessment yet. He has been serviceable, and we do need to find some cheap/good starter along the line. So I wouldnt be shocked to see Blythe as our Starting Center next year, but I could also see us bringing back Sullivan again.

I think as of this point our main needs going into 2018 NFL Draft would be the following (along with my top 3 favorite picks for that position): 

DE/OLB 

1. Sam Hubbard 2. Porter Gustin 3. Harold Landry

CB 

1. Jaire Alexander 2. Tavarus McFadden 3. Adonis Alexander 

OLine

1. Mike McClinchey 2. Quentin Nelson 3. Tre Adams 

As you already admitted, This is really going to depend on who we bring back from our own Free Agent class. So for the sake of argument, I think we bring almost everyone back (Tru, Joyner, Watkins, Barwin, Sullivan, Carrier, McQuaide) except Nickell Robey-Coleman, and Quinn (Trade), Tavon (Cut) Barron (Cut) and Saffold (Restructure) are all on the chopping block in one way or another. In this scenario, Id have our Top needs as follows (in no real order);

• LT (heir apparent) - Ive said it before, Whitworth has been a god-send for this team. He is the man, but he is an old man. One day father time is going to take him from the game, and if we are unlucky enough that it happens before he is done with his current contract we have NOTHING to put at LT behind him. I actually think Havenstein was just fine at Guard in the preseason, so if Saffold is let go for next season, it would give us major flexability as far as a OL draft pick goes. If we could get an Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, or Mike McGlinchey in the First round, they could slide right into RT or a Guard spot until they can take over for Whitworth once he is done.
  • EDGE - Ive been on this train for awhile, and until I see something different I dont see how Quinn fits into this defense long term (especially with that contract). I do think Ekubam is going to be a starter for us, and I think Wade wants Barwin around this defense. But we would need another starter on the outside. I dont know Phillips defense enough at this point, would this need to be an Arden Key freakish-type? (not going to be close to our pick) or a Sam Hubbard all-around type? But more on the edges of this defense will be needed.
  • Secondary - If Tru is gone CB is a massive need. If Joyner is gone Safety is a massive need. But even if we bring both back, we still need some more talent in the secondary. While Webster will be here next year, if we bring back Tru, Kayvon is out the year after, and we will still need a better option at Nickel Back as NRC walks. And I really like Johnson, and he is SS right now, but he could play alot of places. So I will just say another talented cover man. (can never have enough)
  • Inside LB - I honestly thought Pierce should be getting more run here, apparently he just isnt the guy for it. And as nice as some of these baseball like situational stats for Barron are, he just isnt earning that contract and has been a weak point of this offense. I do trust Wade that he knows Ogletree is the guy for his defense. I didnt like some things he did to start the year, but he has turned it around as of late. As many have said, we need that bigger thumper next to him to make this defense better. 

Its pretty obvious that we are all mostly aligned here on these needs as we sit here right now. Until we know for sure that a big hole opens up (Tru, Watkins, or Joyner get away in FA). I would note that Center could jump up here if Sullivan doesnt come back and Blythe is just a guy, We need depth up and down the roster (especially DL, LB and RB)

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont know if I would say Blythe has been 'great'. We havent seen him enough to make that assessment yet. He has been serviceable, and we do need to find some cheap/good starter along the line. So I wouldnt be shocked to see Blythe as our Starting Center next year, but I could also see us bringing back Sullivan again.

Great in relief, compared to what you usually get off the bench is what I meant sorry. And yeah even if Blythe continues his performance I can see Sully coming back he's popular with the players and coaches. With his age and injury history not sure he gets a ton of offers. He may come back to the coaches he's played well for. Blythe we have under control un is 2019.

Archived