Raiders sign LB K.J. Wright

Turnobili

15 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Maxx. 

Not only do I think Yannick's reputation will command doubles, I think if you take reputation out of the equation, while Yannick may have the superior athletic profile, Maxx has produced about as much with less talent around him. 

Hummmm,  now you have me thinking.  I can see the production going either way and being close.  Maxx has played with inferior talent, there is no doubt about that and still managed 17 sacks over two years.  Maxx is also is better vs. the run.  

I do think YN will see the double teams which should allow Maxx to really flourish 1 on 1.  

I'm going to switch it up and put a claim in for Maxx.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

On a complete side not and totally off topic. 

I am in a fantasy football league that has already drafted and need advice on two Raider players.  It's an IDP league, need to add a DL and I am looking at either Maxx or Yannik.   Who do you think has a better year for us?  

My take is YN is the better player/ pass rusher but will also command the double teams which should leave Maxx one on one.  Thoughts on who you would take an why?

Neither, not sure what app you're using, I did one on Sleeper and 3-4 OLB can be flexed as LB or DL. Same thing for box safeties, LB or DB. In my draft I went after Jeremy Chinn, Jabrill Peppers, Adrian Phillips, and Alex Highsmith so I could move them around. Tackles = points

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Have we improved, in my opinion yes we have but improving from what we have isn't saying much.

What proven talent do we actually have in your opinion?

A lot more than last year, especially on the DL/at LB. And we have a proven defensive coordinator. Which is huge.

Hayward, Wright, and Mccoy/Jefferson will bring some stability/a vet presence to key positions in particular.

We are asking young players to take leaps, but not unreasonable ones.  And we have phased out our most unproductive players (e.g. Joyner/Lawson, Harris, the whole interior DL, Trent) in favor of guys who are highly touted or have played at a high level before. Outside of maybe Andre James, which is a clear downgrade from Hudson, and possibly Agholor, I don't see many places where we didn't make a good effort to improve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A lot more than last year, especially on the DL/at LB. And we have a proven defensive coordinator. Which is huge.

Hayward, Wright, and Mccoy/Jefferson will bring some stability/a vet presence to key positions in particular.

We are asking young players to take leaps, but not unreasonable ones.  And we have phased out our most unproductive players (e.g. Joyner/Lawson, Harris, the whole interior DL, Trent) in favor of guys who are highly touted or have played at a high level before. Outside of maybe Andre James, which is a clear downgrade from Hudson, and possibly Agholor, I don't see many places where we didn't make a good effort to improve.

Agreed, I think the coaching change going from Paul Guenther to Gus Bradley is going to have a much bigger impact then most are acknowledging. Guenther was such a terrible coach and our defense looked lost the majority of last season. 

I think it's safe to say that one of the main reasons our defense struggled last season was because Guenther was so stuck on implementing his scheme that he didn't put guys in spots that highlighted their strengths. 

People are really down on Corey Littleton but I think he's poised for a big bounce back year in Bradley's scheme. Littleton played 95%/94% of the Rams defensive snaps during his final two seasons there. I've heard people say that KJ Wright was a 2 down LB last year but he played 86%/93% of Seattle's defensive snaps over the last two seasons. So with those two we have two 3 down LB's that have played at a Pro Bowl level in the past. And with Perryman we have a solid 2 down LB that can play in our base defense with Kwit and Morrow rotating in. 

On the defensive line we added McCoy, Philon, and Thomas on the interior who should be able to push the pocket, especially McCoy. And on the edge we added Yannick who is one of the premier pass rushers in the league. 

In the secondary we added Trevon Moehrig/Nate Hobbs in the draft and Casey Hayward in free agency, who all project to be upgrades over the guys we had last year. 

I'm not going to drink the kool aid just yet but I definitely think we have more talent at all 3 levels on defense with a nice mix of young guys and proven veterans. 

We're going to need young players like James, Leatherwood, Edwards, Ruggs, Moehrig, Crosby, Abram, Arnette, and Hobbs to play well this year. But I definitely have faith that those guys are going to step up in key roles for us. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Watson was sacked 50 times and they were 31st in rushing yards, Carr was sacked 22 times and we were 16th in rushing yards. If their OL was so much better than ours why did they allow double the sacks and why couldn't they run the ball?

Ooh, this is a good debate.

Not to be pedantic but Watson was sacked more IMO as he moves about a lot longer than Carr and Carr gets rid of the ball relatively quickly. Most QBs who 'extend plays' suffer a lot in sacks. For the record, I think our OL wasn't great last year but was a little better than Houston's so I agree there but Carr makes a big difference with his style of play and our offence in general. We also had a much better RB and Houston had nothing really and were playing from behind a lot I believe so the running yards could have been a lot to do with that, although our OL was middle of the pack I would say with all the injuries.

Watson is a better QB than Carr, but there is context on both sides and yourself and @Frankie2Gunz are both right in many ways.

Frankie is absolutely right that wins are a team thing and it's unfair to lumber Carr with the losses as we have had a terrible roster for much of his career and we have double standards with regard Watson IMO. You are also right that our team wasn't that deviod of talent last year (and '16 and '17) and we were substantially better than Houston last year who, frankly, were in disarray. Frankie's point regarding Watson and the wins is still valid IMO. We make excuses for him (for good reasons) but no excuses are acceptable for Carr for whatever 😀

You would think as Raiders supporters it would be the polar opposite 🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Not to be pedantic but Watson was sacked more IMO as he moves about a lot longer than Carr and Carr gets rid of the ball relatively quickly. Most QBs who 'extend plays' suffer a lot in sacks. For the record, I think our OL wasn't great last year but was a little better than Houston's so I agree there but Carr makes a big difference with his style of play and our offence in general. 

If you actually watched the Texans play there's literally zero debate about who's OL was better last season. Watson's average pass time was only mili seconds longer than Carr's and he was sacked more then double the amount of times. Tunsil is a really good LT but the rest of their OL is a mess. Watson had to extend plays because the OL couldn't hold up so he was regularly moving out of the pocket to buy time to find open targets. 

Watson was pressured on 26% of his drop backs, hit 37 times, and sacked 50 times. Carr was pressured on 19.6% of his drop backs, hit 32 times, and sacked 26 times. That's a substantial difference and there's a reason why Watson is refusing to play in Houston. 

When you're talking about getting the ball out fast, Carr literally got the ball out faster like 0.5 milliseconds faster than Watson on average, lol. 

And I disagree the reason that they couldn't effectively run the ball was because they were playing from behind all of the time. Their two losses against the Titans were by 3/6, their loss against the Steelers was by 7, their loss against the Bengals was by 6, their loss against the Vikings was by 8, their loses against the Colts were by 6/7, and their loss against the Browns was by 3. Only 4 of their 12 losses were by more than a single score.

In their 4 wins they averaged 92 rushing yards per game, in their 8 losses by a single score they rushed for 93 yards per game, and in their 4 losses by multiple scores they rushed for 89 yards per game.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed, I think the coaching change going from Paul Guenther to Gus Bradley is going to have a much bigger impact then most are acknowledging. Guenther was such a terrible coach and our defense looked lost the majority of last season. 

I think it's safe to say that one of the main reasons our defense struggled last season was because Guenther was so stuck on implementing his scheme that he didn't put guys in spots that highlighted their strengths. 

People are really down on Corey Littleton but I think he's poised for a big bounce back year in Bradley's scheme. Littleton played 95%/94% of the Rams defensive snaps during his final two seasons there. I've heard people say that KJ Wright was a 2 down LB last year but he played 86%/93% of Seattle's defensive snaps over the last two seasons. So with those two we have two 3 down LB's that have played at a Pro Bowl level in the past. And with Perryman we have a solid 2 down LB that can play in our base defense with Kwit and Morrow rotating in. 

On the defensive line we added McCoy, Philon, and Thomas on the interior who should be able to push the pocket, especially McCoy. And on the edge we added Yannick who is one of the premier pass rushers in the league

In the secondary we added Trevon Moehrig/Nate Hobbs in the draft and Casey Hayward in free agency, who all project to be upgrades over the guys we had last year. 

I'm not going to drink the kool aid just yet but I definitely think we have more talent at all 3 levels on defense with a nice mix of young guys and proven veterans. 

We're going to need young players like James, Leatherwood, Edwards, Ruggs, Moehrig, Crosby, Abram, Arnette, and Hobbs to play well this year. But I definitely have faith that those guys are going to step up in key roles for us. 

OK time out I remember seeing a lot of the stuff and you disagreed before. Now you’re saying everything that I was saying LOL

Ive been said Gunther was the problem and that the biggest move they made this office was going to be getting Gus Bradley as a defensive coordinator. You said that Bradley was a product of  having really good players. We had a whole argument about it like 2 different times. I asked this before: can anyone remember the last time the Raiders had a Defense a Coordinator that had the résumé I’ve Gus Bradley or any of his position coaches. 

Maybe a month and a half ago you were saying that Yannick what is a complementary pass rusher now you’re saying he’s a premier pass rusher(One of the premier pass rushers in the entire league). Lolol 

On another note though I saw the depth chart it looks good and I think that elumanor guy made me feel much better about the office of line situation being able to actually play right tackle for an extended amount of time. Hopefully we keep that guy around after this. Also I want to put on record that I’m not tripping off of Andre James nor Leatherwood replacing their counterparts. I’ve watched them both in the preseason and they both look really good. Will they be all pros this year now but they don’t need to be. They a only two players on an offensive line of five that also utilize a lot of tight ends that can block

💯 on the DBs But my thing is for the first time that I can remember they actually have a good defensive Who actually cosigned on the players that are here. I believe in their ability to coach these guys up. Like I said with Gus Bradley we’ve never had that before

I feel good about ruggs and people forget that Bryan Edwards was a starting receiver over Aguilar before he got hurt so they actually had faith in him as a starter since he came into the league.  Also worth noting  that Gruden has never shown that I’m off and he get somebody who he doesn’t use properly(Lynn Bowden being the only exception I’ve ever seen).

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

OK time out I remember seeing a lot of the stuff and you disagreed before. Now you’re saying everything that I was saying LOL

Ive been said Gunther was the problem and that the biggest move they made this office was going to be getting Gus Bradley as a defensive coordinator. You said that Bradley was a product of  having really good players. We had a whole argument about it like 2 different times. I asked this before: can anyone remember the last time the Raiders had a Defense a Coordinator that had the résumé I’ve Gus Bradley or any of his position coaches. 

Maybe a month and a half ago you were saying that Yannick what is a complementary pass rusher now you’re saying he’s a premier pass rusher(One of the premier pass rushers in the entire league). Lolol 

On another note though I saw the depth chart it looks good and I think that elumanor guy made me feel much better about the office of line situation being able to actually play right tackle for an extended amount of time. Hopefully we keep that guy around after this. Also I want to put on record that I’m not tripping off of Andre James nor Leatherwood replacing their counterparts. I’ve watched them both in the preseason and they both look really good. Will they be all pros this year now but they don’t need to be. They a only two players on an offensive line of five that also utilize a lot of tight ends that can block

💯 on the DBs But my thing is for the first time that I can remember they actually have a good defensive Who actually cosigned on the players that are here. I believe in their ability to coach these guys up. Like I said with Gus Bradley we’ve never had that before

I feel good about ruggs and people forget that Bryan Edwards was a starting receiver over Aguilar before he got hurt so they actually had faith in him as a starter since he came into the league.  Also worth noting  that Gruden has never shown that I’m off and he get somebody who he doesn’t use properly(Lynn Bowden being the only exception I’ve ever seen).

Everyone has the right to change their opinion, hopefully Yannick can be consistent.

I think Leatherwood will be solid, I don't have a ton of faith in Andre James though. 

Yeah Gus is definitely one of the best coaches in the league in terms of developing DB's, we just have an extremely young group. 

I feel good about both guys as well but neither could stay healthy last year and will be expected to be our 1/2. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you actually watched the Texans play there's literally zero debate about who's OL was better last season. Watson's average pass time was only mili seconds longer than Carr's and he was sacked more then double the amount of times. Tunsil is a really good LT but the rest of their OL is a mess. Watson had to extend plays because the OL couldn't hold up so he was regularly moving out of the pocket to buy time to find open targets. 

Watson was pressured on 26% of his drop backs, hit 37 times, and sacked 50 times. Carr was pressured on 19.6% of his drop backs, hit 32 times, and sacked 26 times. That's a substantial difference and there's a reason why Watson is refusing to play in Houston. 

When you're talking about getting the ball out fast, Carr literally got the ball out faster like 0.5 milliseconds faster than Watson on average, lol. 

And I disagree the reason that they couldn't effectively run the ball was because they were playing from behind all of the time. Their two losses against the Titans were by 3/6, their loss against the Steelers was by 7, their loss against the Bengals was by 6, their loss against the Vikings was by 8, their loses against the Colts were by 6/7, and their loss against the Browns was by 3. Only 4 of their 12 losses were by more than a single score.

In their 4 wins they averaged 92 rushing yards per game, in their 8 losses by a single score they rushed for 93 yards per game, and in their 4 losses by multiple scores they rushed for 89 yards per game.

I don't disagree at all that our OL was better. Though it wasn't great, hence the changes. No real debate there. I did watch the Texans a few times last year (for my sins) and they weren't a good side at all and Watson (as much as I despise him) played very well. The OL run blocking was pretty poor from us TBH though and I just thought the difference was our RB who was much better. 

I will concede the playing from behind point, no argument there with you 🙂

I think you and Frankie both make some really good points, it's been enlightening to read 😀👍

*Just for the record, millisecond is 0.001 of a second though, so half a millisecond would be 0.0005 not 0.05 which was the quoted difference I believe 😁😁😁 

(In jest of course 🍺)

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I don't disagree at all that our OL was better. Though it wasn't great, hence the changes. No real debate there. I did watch the Texans a few times last year (for my sins) and they weren't a good side at all and Watson (as much as I despise him) played very well. The OL run blocking was pretty poor from us TBH though and I just thought the difference was our RB who was much better. 

I will concede the playing from behind point, no argument there with you 🙂

I think you and Frankie both make some really good points, it's been enlightening to read 😀👍

*Just for the record, millisecond is 0.001 of a second though, so half a millisecond would be 0.0005 not 0.05 which was the quoted difference I believe 😁😁😁 

(In jest of course 🍺)

Watson was running for his life almost every play, lol.

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Everyone has the right to change their opinion, hopefully Yannick can be consistent.

I think Leatherwood will be solid, I don't have a ton of faith in Andre James though. 

Yeah Gus is definitely one of the best coaches in the league in terms of developing DB's, we just have an extremely young group. 

I feel good about both guys as well but neither could stay healthy last year and will be expected to be our 1/2. 

yeah I know I just wanted to point that out because of all the hell you gave me about both 😂 

One thing I will say if you’ve consistently said that Leatherwood would be good. I think us two and a few others were consistent from the moment he got drafted on that. 

Every team that Gus has been on has young DBs(except Hayward who was young at the time) 

what you said about the receivers is on point. I liked the depth to come in and replace each of them until John Brown asked to be cut.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

what you said about the receivers is on point. I liked the depth to come in and replace each of them until John Brown asked to be cut.

In a worst case scenario at least we know that Grudock isn't afraid to throw draft capital away to bring in WR's. I would've liked to have kept Brown though. Jones, Snead, and Brown are basically the perfect backups for Edwards, Renfrow, and Ruggs. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

In a worst case scenario at least we know that Grudock isn't afraid to throw draft capital away to bring in WR's. I would've liked to have kept Brown though. Jones, Snead, and Brown are basically the perfect backups for Edwards, Renfrow, and Ruggs. 

That’s why I wasn’t really Worried as much about them getting hurt. It’s scary now though if ruggs gets hurt