Raiders sign LB K.J. Wright

Turnobili

So I'm guessing that the starters at the moment are -

SLB - Wright   MLB - Perryman   WLB  - Littleton

Sounds better than Muse and Deablo having to play major snaps. Now they can learn and get their feet wet for next year.

Also guessing Morrow isn't gonna part with #50 so were looking at 56 or 58 for Wright.

• Like 1

Hard not to love this move. Wright isn't a spring chicken, but he hasn't shown any significant signs of slowing down, or not having the necessary tools to be a quality starting LB in the NFL. 

On a one year deal there's literally zero risk. If he balls out and plays as well as he has the past couple of seasons he could earn a decent sized 2 or 3 year deal to finish out his career, if father time has finally caught up to him, we move on at the end of the year. Even if he takes a step back from his play in recent seasons, truthfully it'll still very likely be an upgrade over our LB play for the past what seems like decades now. 

He has familiarity with the system, essentially playing his entire career under Bradley himself or inside the same scheme Bradley runs, familiarity with the coaching staff, he's a seasoned veteran that knows what it takes to have a successful defense, and he plays a position that was a glaring hole/issue because of injuries to Morrow, White, and the youth of Diablo and Muse. He gives us another guy that has played at a pro bowl level (along with Hayward) that knows the system, knows how to prepare and be successful, and I'm sure can help the youngsters with some off the field tips on what pitfalls to look for at the NFL level. With the DB's and LB's it's of the utmost importance for guys to be on the same page, for guys to be aligned correctly, for guys to know their assignments. We have that at the very least with Hayward in the backfield, we now have that with Wright at the LB level. And while the system Bradley runs is a relatively simple one by NFL standards and allows guys to play fast, there still is a lot that goes into it, particularly when you want to try and throw different pre-snap alignments and such to confuse offenses. 

I absolutely love the move. I still think Wright has at least the one season he is signed to of pro bowl caliber play, he offers a ton from a leadership/understanding of the scheme to help the rest of the defense making the transition, and his voice should carry a lot of authority among the young guys trying to learn the NFL game like Muse, White, Diablo etc. 

Obviously we will have to see it produced on the field, but when comparing last years defense at EDGE, LB, CB, and S I feel very confident in saying those units are vastly improved in terms of starters and the depth behind them. Heck even DT looks significantly better than last season (though still our biggest question mark right now IMO). That isn't to say those units are stacked or that it's going to lead to a top 10 defense or anything, but the talent upgrades along with the improved defensive coaching staff and scheme that allows guys to play fast without having to over think things like Gunthers system, there is a lot of upside to be cautiously optimistic about. If Littelton can look even close to what he was with the Rams, and Morrow can come back from injury, along with Wright now, I am very optimistic that the TE problem that has plagued us for so long could be a real strong suit for our defense. Even in a simple cover 3 system, you can do a lot with 3 really really fast, quick, sideline to sideline, athletic LBs that can start (Wright, Littelto, Morrow) and a couple depth guys that offer the same (Diablo and Muse). And now we have guys like KWit, and Perryman that are more athletically limited but have started games and had decent levels of success as starters providing depth in the event of injury. 

Hard not to love this signing overall. Makes me much less anxious about the LB position and how much that could hold the defense back from showing improvement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

So I'm guessing that the starters at the moment are -

SLB - Wright   MLB - Perryman   WLB  - Littleton

Sounds better than Muse and Deablo having to play major snaps. Now they can learn and get their feet wet for next year.

Also guessing Morrow isn't gonna part with #50 so were looking at 56 or 58 for Wright.

I still think Kwit could get the start over Perryman, but the staff hasn't seemed to be very high on Kwit so it's certainly possible that Perryman gets the start at MLB in the base defense. 

Really though it seems obvious in the nickel which we will be in like 70% of the time the two LBs on the field will be Wright and Littelton, at least until Morrow or maybe even White comes back and depending on how well Littelton plays in the new system. 

Thinking about it though, if Wright and Littelton are going to be the 2 LBs in the nickel, with Perryman or KWit coming out, it raises the question, who gets the green dot for the defense? Is it the newly signed veteran that knows the system very well but doesn't have any experience playing with this current defense, or does it go to Littelton who is just now learning the system, and is coming off a very poor year? 

I assume it would be Morrow when he gets healthy and back on the field, he seemed to be having a good camp and the staff seemed very impressed by him and White, but while Littelton is out, who calls the defense? Surely not Perryman or KWit when you know they will only be in the base and obvious running downs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I still think Kwit could get the start over Perryman, but the staff hasn't seemed to be very high on Kwit so it's certainly possible that Perryman gets the start at MLB in the base defense. 

Really though it seems obvious in the nickel which we will be in like 70% of the time the two LBs on the field will

17 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

Really though it seems obvious in the nickel which we will be in like 70% of the time the two LBs on the field will be Wright and Littelton, at least until Morrow or maybe even White comes back and depending on how well Littelton plays in the new system. 

Thinking about it though, if Wright and Littelton are going to be the 2 LBs in the nickel, with Perryman or KWit coming out, it raises the question, who gets the green dot for the defense? Is it the newly signed veteran that knows the system very well but doesn't have any experience playing with this current defense, or does it go to Littelton who is just now learning the system, and is coming off a very poor year? 

I assume it would be Morrow when he gets healthy and back on the field, he seemed to be having a good camp and the staff seemed very impressed by him and White, but while Littelton is out, who calls the defense? Surely not Perryman or KWit when you know they will only be in the base and obvious running downs. 

be Wright and Littelton, at least until Morrow or maybe even White comes back and depending on how well Littelton plays in the new system. 

You are allowed to have 3 green dot wearers on the sideline and active and if one gets hurt then another guy can take his helmet. Just like if a QB goes down the backup is now a green dot wearer.

Source - https://www.sportscasting.com/whats-with-the-green-dots-on-nfl-helmets-and-how-many-players-have-them/

• Like 2