Week 1 GDT - Detroit Lions vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

35 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I guess we'll be at the opposite ends of this rhetoric for the end of time. Never really bought into the early start time superstition. Didn't stop the 49ers squashing the Saints and Falcons every year for like 15 years on the road. The better squad just rises to the top. It's as simple as that. Squashing inferior competition is important, and there really isn't any excuse as to why the 49ers shouldn't dominate the Lions and Eagles. 

I mean there were studies done on this in the past and West Coast teams generally start the games out slow in early start games. They pick it up in the 2nd half but early on it is a struggle and that makes some sense. 

As for blowing out Philly? That DL is always going to be an issue for this offense. I'll just take any type of win against them, don't care about a two score or 20 point win against them. We are staying out east after the Detroit game so for that game the team should be more accustomed to the time difference. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean there were studies done on this in the past and West Coast teams generally start the games out slow in early start games. They pick it up in the 2nd half but early on it is a struggle and that makes some sense. 

As for blowing out Philly? That DL is always going to be an issue for this offense. I'll just take any type of win against them, don't care about a two score or 20 point win against them. We are staying out east after the Detroit game so for that game the team should be more accustomed to the time difference. 

Yeah, but I'd like to think that within those studies you'd have to consider the quality of the opponents, since obviously all teams are different. In this case, The Lions/Eagles are two rebuilding squads with first year head coaches. That's a huge advantage for the 49ers regardless of when or where the games are played. 

You're right that the Eagles defensive line is fierce. Despite this, I expect the 49ers to roll. More so against Detroit. Forecast in Ninerland is trending sunny. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

9 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah, but I'd like to think that within those studies you'd have to consider the quality of the opponents, since obviously all teams are different. In this case, The Lions/Eagles are two rebuilding squads with first year head coaches. That's a huge advantage for the 49ers regardless of when or where the games are played. 

You're right that the Eagles defensive line is fierce. Despite this, I expect the 49ers to roll. More so against Detroit. Forecast in Ninerland is trending sunny. :)

I mean yeah, but most games are going to be one score games. I just don't think you can downplay West Coast teams making the trip for early start games and just the oddity of week 1 games. Remember how the Bengals almost beat the Seahawks two years ago and then they proceeded to lose to us by 40 and ended up being the worst team in the league? A lot of fluky things happen in week 1....I just think the first half vs the Lions will be frustrating at times and competitive before we pull away in the 2nd half. 

San Francisco 49ers

The worry: A cornerback position that was a liability with Richard Sherman on the team remains a liability without him.

“Obviously, quarterback is the concern, what happens there, but they need a defensive presence on the back end. Their pass rush is so good. If they are not able to stay healthy on their defensive line, that secondary is going to get exposed. Their corner situations sucked last year. Teams really feasted on them. Are they better? Maybe they make a move for Stephon Gilmore at some point. I think they need someone.”

https://theathletic.com/2810141/2021/09/07/the-biggest-worry-for-every-nfl-team-from-the-patriots-qbs-to-the-49ers-jets-and-vikings-dbs/?source=user_shared_article&redirected=1

Would LOVE Gilmore but............

And the corner situation sucked soooooo bad last year, yet this team was still one of the best pass defenses in the league?? When the hell will people wake up and realize why this pass defense is so good? I mean were there certain games that WRs took advantage like DK/Hopkins/Adams? Sure, but overall the pass defense and our corners held up just fine. 

1st in passing yards allowed

10th in completion percentage

4th in YPA

8th in QB rating against

6th in pass defense DVOA

Literally top 10 in every statistical category. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://theathletic.com/2810141/2021/09/07/the-biggest-worry-for-every-nfl-team-from-the-patriots-qbs-to-the-49ers-jets-and-vikings-dbs/?source=user_shared_article&redirected=1

Would LOVE Gilmore but............

And the corner situation sucked soooooo bad last year, yet this team was still one of the best pass defenses in the league?? When the hell will people wake up and realize why this pass defense is so good? I mean were there certain games that WRs took advantage like DK/Hopkins/Adams? Sure, but overall the pass defense and our corners held up just fine. 

1st in passing yards allowed

10th in completion percentage

4th in YPA

8th in QB rating against

6th in pass defense DVOA

Literally top 10 in every statistical category. 

Yea, I'm at the point where I'm not gonna worry about the CB situation until I have to. I wanted to add a vet for insurance and they went out and got a 33 year old Norman. Not really what I had in mind but whatever. Meanwhile Conley is just sitting in free agency which is the strangest thing to me. Did he murder someone and I just didn't get the memo??

But as long as the pass-rush does what it's supposed to, we'll be fine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, I'm at the point where I'm not gonna worry about the CB situation until I have to. I wanted to add a vet for insurance and they went out and got a 33 year old Norman. Not really what I had in mind but whatever. Meanwhile Conley is just sitting in free agency which is the strangest thing to me. Did he murder someone and I just didn't get the memo??

But as long as the pass-rush does what it's supposed to, we'll be fine.

Even if the pass rush isn't great, we will be fine as long as our safeties are healthy. Ward/Tartt are as sound of safeties as you will find. Those two will cover up for some errors made by the corners. Now, we all expect the pass rush to be great and if it is, then the corners will be just fine. Verrett needs to stay healthy though. He is a top level or borderline top level corner but there is a big drop off between him and the rest of the corners on the team.

Ok, so I was just watching some Ebukam highlights and WOW this dude could be amazing as a rotational pass rusher. I tried to link to the YouTube video here but the NFL said no. 

Honestly, I didn't really watch much tape of Ebukam after we signed him and there wasn't a ton of buzz about him in TC, so he flew under the radar for me. But watching him work on the left side of the line, he was fast and powerful and seems to create quite a few fumbles as well. 

Having Ebukam and Ford rotate in and out of nickel packages on the left side is going to be a nightmare for O-lines. Someone on our line is going to have a career year now that Bosa is back.

Penei Sewell is going to have a rough day dealing with the speed and power from Ebukam, Ford, and Armstead.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he ends inactive all year, thats a horrific sign for where the team feels like he is at because its certainly not because of his injury. 

If he does not start, then he will be inactive. He doesn't have the versatility to play other positions...The great Tom Compton does! Oh wait.............

21 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If Lance can’t throw in the next two days, he shouldn’t be active on Sunday.

Not worth the risk to make him a glorified RB this weekend. 

Just random as hell, but honestly I can't really recall the last Inman article I have read...He has to be the most forgettable Niners beat writer out there. Like for good or bad, others make their mark. But Inman? Dude has been on the beat for years and I really don't remember a damn thing about his articles nor his opinions. That's hard to do lol. 

1 hour ago, SFrush said:

Glad Tartt made it back for the opener. Tavon Wilson starting would have been a disaster.

A disaster? Hardly. Wilson is actually a pretty decent safety throughout his career. I'm not a PFF fanboy, but Wilson has graded 70 or higher in 5 of his 9 seasons. He had a coverage grade of at least 70 in 4 of his 9 seasons. His 2 best years are when he was the full-time starter, which was as recently as 2019. 

On Pro Football Reference, they have his career Approximate Value at 21. For reference, Anthony Harris (quality safety) has a career AV of 20. 

Not only is Wilson a fantastic depth piece and spot starter in our secondary, he's a really, really good special teams guy. If Wilson had to start, and he most likely will at some point, we're in good hands.

6 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ok, so I was just watching some Ebukam highlights and WOW this dude could be amazing as a rotational pass rusher. I tried to link to the YouTube video here but the NFL said no. 

Honestly, I didn't really watch much tape of Ebukam after we signed him and there wasn't a ton of buzz about him in TC, so he flew under the radar for me. But watching him work on the left side of the line, he was fast and powerful and seems to create quite a few fumbles as well. 

Having Ebukam and Ford rotate in and out of nickel packages on the left side is going to be a nightmare for O-lines. Someone on our line is going to have a career year now that Bosa is back.

Penei Sewell is going to have a rough day dealing with the speed and power from Ebukam, Ford, and Armstead.

Outside of his game against the Chiefs, Samson was a forgettable pass rusher with the Rams. Good special teamer, though.