If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Another reason I almost don’t want Zimmer fired, I almost think this team is good enough to get to the playoffs….. even win a game…..

fire him now and we elevate someone within and they do indeed do this and win a playoff game, they are just hired and we are stuck within the same system. I dang near just want us to get an explosive type offense. 

I don't think it accomplishes anything to fire Zimmer now, unless one of the assistant coaches is a top option as the next HC and they want to give them a trial run. I don't see the next HC being an internal hire though. 

Just let the season play out, and Zimmer can "retire" in the offseason. The team needs to really take their time and identify the best hire. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I don't think it accomplishes anything to fire Zimmer now, unless one of the assistant coaches is a top option as the next HC and they want to give them a trial run. I don't see the next HC being an internal hire though. 

Just let the season play out, and Zimmer can "retire" in the offseason. The team needs to really take their time and identify the best hire. 

I don’t see any reason to consider any of Zimmer’s coaches as a head coach. We lost out on Stefanski. The rest aren’t worth the trial run.

• Like 4

Firing Zimmer now doesn’t accomplish anything. 

But the reason so many fans are calling for us job now is because deep down, a soft voice in the back of their minds is casting doubt and saying that if he’s not fired now, he won’t be. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

The other reason to wait until after the season to change coaches, is that the team needs to take a look at Spielman and if they want to hire a new GM before they get a new coach. Rick has been GM for 10 years, and has had the majority say in personnel for 16 years.

I'd say Rick has done a pretty good job and the Vikings have been one of the best run franchises in the league during that time, but after 16 years and still no Super Bowl appearance, it might be time for fresh eyes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The other reason to wait until after the season to change coaches, is that the team needs to take a look at Spielman and if they want to hire a new GM before they get a new coach. Rick has been GM for 10 years, and has had the majority say in personnel for 16 years.

I'd say Rick has done a pretty good job and the Vikings have been one of the best run franchises in the league during that time, but after 16 years and still no Super Bowl appearance, it might be time for fresh eyes.

I am going to have to disagree with the statement that they Vikings have been one of the best run franchises in the last 16 years. I'll give you that they aren't one of the worst run.

I am not sure why the team needs to wait until after the season to look at Spielman. I would fire him without hesitation right now and get started rounding up a list of GM candidates to interview. Some interviews could be completed before the season ends. Some candidates won't be free to interview until after the season, but the team can still start putting their list together and analyzing potential candidates.

Opening up the position will start backchannel communications from interested parties, even parties that are currently under contract with other teams.

• Like 1

The last 3 minutes before the half was the last straw for Zim. Going for it on a 4th and long near mid field when Kirk was shaky made no sense. Of course it fails, lost more yards and the defense gave up more points. His decision cost Vikings 3 points and even up losing by 3 points. Rick had his blunders and if got fired wouldn't be shock. Especially with not finding a true franchise QB. However, I think he's safe. Vikings while not a perfect roster has been filled with playoff talent. Could see him pinning the CB failures on Zim and Wilfs giving him one last chance with a new coach.  

• Like 1

I did not know about this rule change. Perhaps that changes some people's perspective on when to fire Zimmer? Granted things get a little murky if Spielman's status is up in the air as well.

"Another notable change revealed in Tuesday's memo is that, beginning in the upcoming hiring cycle, teams are allowed to interview a candidate for a head coach position during the final two weeks of the regular season with the consent of the employer club. The interview can be virtual, and once the employing team gives consent, the candidate will be able to interview for any open head coach role.

A position is considered "open" if the head coach that started the season is no longer employed by the club, or has received notice he will no longer be with the club in the following season. As it was prior to these changes, candidates not currently employed by a team are free to interview as they please."

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-teams-can-now-interview-head-coaching-candidates-during-last-two-weeks-of-se

24 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I did not know about this rule change. Perhaps that changes some people's perspective on when to fire Zimmer? Granted things get a little murky if Spielman's status is up in the air as well.

"Another notable change revealed in Tuesday's memo is that, beginning in the upcoming hiring cycle, teams are allowed to interview a candidate for a head coach position during the final two weeks of the regular season with the consent of the employer club. The interview can be virtual, and once the employing team gives consent, the candidate will be able to interview for any open head coach role.

A position is considered "open" if the head coach that started the season is no longer employed by the club, or has received notice he will no longer be with the club in the following season. As it was prior to these changes, candidates not currently employed by a team are free to interview as they please."

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-teams-can-now-interview-head-coaching-candidates-during-last-two-weeks-of-se

I think this makes a big difference.....but I also think it doesn't happen if they are thinking of getting rid of the GM also. 

11 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I think this makes a big difference.....but I also think it doesn't happen if they are thinking of getting rid of the GM also. 

Agreed.  I don't think you can hire a new coach without having the new GM in house (of course, if you're firing Spielman).

I know he probably said that in a little jest...but it's a lot easier to do that when each of those 3 coaches has made and/or won a Super Bowl within their first 5 years.  We haven't even had one make a Super Bowl in nearly 45 years and all of them (7 total), except for Steckel and Leslie, were here at least 4 years and 4 of those 5 managed to make NFC title games and then collapsed the year after.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

I know he probably said that in a little jest...but it's a lot easier to do that when each of those 3 coaches has made and/or won a Super Bowl within their first 5 years.  We haven't even had one make a Super Bowl in nearly 45 years and all of them (7 total), except for Steckel and Leslie, were here at least 4 years and 4 of those 5 managed to make NFC title games and then collapsed the year after.  

Zimmer has gotten us the closest in a long time.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:59 AM, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings need to find a coach who can bring the high energy. Someone who can get the team amped up and motivated. 

The Vikings are out of balance. They have so many players with laid back/reserved personalities, players who let their play do the talking, that there isn’t enough energy on the field. There aren’t enough guys who can bring that emotional spark. 

They need a coach, or coaches, who can bring that energy, bring the intensity that the players can feed off of. Bring back that balance. 

And that doesn’t mean they need a screamer or someone who’s always in the players’ face.

I would agree with that, the Vikings are not a very inspired football team.  Clear example was the 49ers game, both teams with a so so record but the 49ers competitively showed up to that football game, the Vikings did not and you could see it with attitude after the play.

Ones emotions especially on defense and dictate play and improve play, if one is not into the game and attacking it rather sitting back hoping something good happens then they are already behind on the scoreboard.  The Vikings currently scoreboard watch, and if they are up they feel good if they are down they feel bad and obviously this season they have never been able to stay up consistently or easily win a game what so ever.

Something has to change, I liked Zimmer at the start because the team played great defense with him and he was a tough and confident coach.  That confidence and swagger is gone now and he just looks beat down and defeated.  

Never thought I would say this but look at PJ Fleck in this interview and the emotional pulse he has on that football team.  He is not a great X and O guy but he knows how to manage a football game and create a solid game plan, but most of all he has the emotional pulse of the team and is a great communicator and motivator.

Everything he says is right on, especially with the Gophers playing like in the past of 'here we go again' and playing with that mindset before.  He changed that at times this season and clearly the Vikings never changed that 'here we go again' mindset when things get bad and failure happens more often than not.

Playing fearless confident football, certain players on the Vikings can do that but as an entire team, absolutely not, most of the guys when things go bad they cannot get out of it and correct it and ultimately ends in a loss.  

10 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Zimmer has gotten us the closest in a long time.

That's hard for me to say, as it depends upon what you mean by "close."  Next to 41-donut, his team competed the least in all of the NFC title games.  All of the others lost on the final drive of the game.  So, I guess I can't agree.  

• Like 1