If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

47 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't know how I feel about a coach that doesn't run the offense

If by “doesn’t run the offense” you mean he doesn’t call plays, no he doesn’t. But, quite frankly, that’s a very low credential for a head coaching candidate. 

However, there is far more to running the offense than simply calling plays on game day. Hackett is very much a big part of creating game plans, he’s the coach who runs the offensive meetings, he’s responsible for installing the offense and making sure that each position group knows what their responsibilities are. So, actually, Hackett is very much a part of running the offense. 

Edited by SemperFeist

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Bienemy should have been a Head Coach by now. As it stands, he might never be an NFL head coach. That’s a shame. 

The Vikings may be a decent opportunity for him since they know him from his days in Minnesota.  They could be looking for a change of pace too, by going with an offensive minded coach this time around. 

Another thing in Bienemy's favor is that Mike Zimmer also interviewed for years without ever being given a chance, and he got one with the Wilfs.  He ended up being a pretty good coach for them too, as evidenced by his long tenure. 

37 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Vikings may be a decent opportunity for him since they know him from his days in Minnesota.  They could be looking for a change of pace too, by going with an offensive minded coach this time around. 

Another thing in Bienemy's favor is that Mike Zimmer also interviewed for years without ever being given a chance, and he got one with the Wilfs.  He ended up being a pretty good coach for them too, as evidenced by his long tenure. 

The question is whether they would be willing to wait for him again, since this might be the 3rd consecutive trip to the SB for the Chiefs.  I'd personally do it and I never understand why others don't.  If you want to hire a successful coach, hire one whose been part of a successful organization.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I’ve never been impressed with the idea of Bienemy as a head coach for this team.

I'm not really either.  Unlike Zimmer, I've never truly viewed Bieniemy as a HC period.  While they're both known as hotheads, Bieniemy seems to be a little more out of control than Zimmer ever was.  I think they do need someone with emotion, but not necessarily that much.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

The question is whether they would be willing to wait for him again, since this might be the 3rd consecutive trip to the SB for the Chiefs.  I'd personally do it and I never understand why others don't.  If you want to hire a successful coach, hire one whose been part of a successful organization.  

Unless it's Matt Patricia... 

ESPN’s Bill Barnwell tabbed the Vikings as the best potential head coaching opening in the league. Barnwell said that Minnesota’s pros are talent on roster, patient ownership, veteran quarterback, while its cons are a lack of cap flexibility and a veteran quarterback.

Barnwell: “I’m including veteran quarterback as both a pro and a con as a bit of a joke, but I suspect that Kirk Cousins might be a blessing for some coaches and a hindrance to others. His numbers are surprisingly impressive this season, as he ranks in the top four in passer rating, adjusted net yards per attempt and touchdown-to-interception ratio. There aren’t many people in the NFL who perceive him to be that caliber of quarterback, though, and with a $45 million cap hit in 2022, the Vikings will be paying him as if he were an MVP candidate.

If they do decide to move on from longtime coach Mike Zimmer and/or general manager Rick Spielman, the first thing the new regime will have to do is solve the Cousins conundrum. Trading him would free up $35 million in desperately needed cap space, but the move would also leave them with rookie third-round pick Kellen Mond as the starting quarterback.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/28/vikings-named-the-best-potential-head-coaching-opening/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1B5Evz9wZbLyTeYgBc5wWtWz8CP5c7l83yUJv0Jy6aO35teciUfPN9POc

I'm assuming he'd want Pederson because he has a record of success.  I personally don't have a real favorite at this point.  I'm not really sure there is one candidate out there that strikes me as a real upgrade from Zimmer, although I am at the point of thinking it's time to move on.  I'd have to see who they would interview and determine from there.  This is one of those years where they may hire someone out of the blue like that Nick Sirianni guy last year, who wasn't on anyone's radar.    

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm assuming he'd want Pederson because he has a record of success.  I personally don't have a real favorite at this point.  I'm not really sure there is one candidate out there that strikes me as a real upgrade from Zimmer, although I am at the point of thinking it's time to move on.  I'd have to see who they would interview and determine from there.  This is one of those years where they may hire someone out of the blue like that Nick Sirianni guy last year, who wasn't on anyone's radar.    

I feel the same way. Not a strong pool to choose from but I don’t think Zimmer is the answer either if you’re looking at anything other than hovering around .500. Still would put Peterson at the top of the list. 

• Like 1