Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

I think DaRon Payne should be awarded a contract next. The narrative that edge rushers are harder to find than run stuffing DTs seems like fiction to me. This team went many years struggling to stop the run/have good DT play. Ideally, I'd like to resign both DaRon and Montez. But I think these last three games has shown that DaRon Payne might be a little more important than Montez. 

Matt Ionnaidis has only one year left on his contract and is probably on his way out. Ionnaidis has not been as productive in the Rivera era and is probably more suited for a 3-4 scheme.  In fact, looking at Ionnaidis' contract he is most likely cut after this year. 

Tim Settle is the wild card. He's worth a resign but will he push for starter money or want to start someplace else? 

4 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think DaRon Payne should be awarded a contract next. The narrative that edge rushers are harder to find than run stuffing DTs seems like fiction to me. This team went many years struggling to stop the run/have good DT play. Ideally, I'd like to resign both DaRon and Montez. But I think these last three games has shown that DaRon Payne might be a little more important than Montez. 

Matt Ionnaidis has only one year left on his contract and is probably on his way out. Ionnaidis has not been as productive in the Rivera era and is probably more suited for a 3-4 scheme.  In fact, looking at Ionnaidis' contract he is most likely cut after this year. 

Tim Settle is the wild card. He's worth a resign but will he push for starter money or want to start someplace else? 

i think daron is the odd man out, we have matt and settle. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, taylor made said:

I was about to say there’s draft classes where guys come out that can’t play the run or legit are lost on passing downs. Payne is a dominant run stopper and blows up the pocket on passing downs. Allen is having a fringe all pro year and Payne may not have the numbers in the passing game but he’s there and Payne and Allen are the combo. Simply put I don’t get rid of any of these guys before each of the 4 have been resigned. A deal can get reworked later by Allen or Payne when Chase is due. These guys are here and teams make this happen. Teams keep their dogs. Or they get draft capital. And not just capital they get hauls for players like this. We don’t walk away from any of these players without picks in bunches

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

I was about to say there’s draft classes where guys come out that can’t play the run or legit are lost on passing downs. Payne is a dominant run stopper and blows up the pocket on passing downs. Allen is having a fringe all pro year and Payne may not have the numbers in the passing game but he’s there and Payne and Allen are the combo. Simply put I don’t get rid of any of these guys before each of the 4 have been resigned. A deal can get reworked later by Allen or Payne when Chase is due. These guys are here and teams make this happen. Teams keep their dogs. Or they get draft capital. And not just capital they get hauls for players like this. We don’t walk away from any of these players without picks in bunches

Exactly. Look at all the big money deals the cowboys have handed out all over their roster. We can keep this DL together. Especially when you consider we don’t have a big money QB contract or one coming anytime soon. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Exactly. Look at all the big money deals the cowboys have handed out all over their roster. We can keep this DL together. Especially when you consider we don’t have a big money QB contract or one coming anytime soon. 

We have Terry’s coming that’s going to be a big contract especially if he signs a short term. I hope we lock him up long term. That said we will get Collins huge chunk off after this next season for sure. We can keep these guys together. And continue to draft later round guys and coach them up. These 7th rounders from the last two classes have played solid meaningful reps and they are playing good because they play next to DP and Jon

Edited by ripsean21

Easier to re-sign settle & Ioannidis to me that to re- sign Payne to a Jon Allen type contract. The main point is that Ioannidis & Settle are in house & can be re-signed/extended. We don’t have that level of reserves for Chase & Montez but we have what seems like good lunch pale blue color DEs behind them. 

Also obviously we can trade Payne, get s pick back and draft another DT w/ that pick, defender or something to help our team.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Easier to re-sign settle & Ioannidis to me that to re- sign Payne to a Jon Allen type contract. The main point is that Ioannidis & Settle are in house & can be re-signed/extended. We don’t have that level of reserves for Chase & Montez but we have what seems like good lunch pale blue color DEs behind them. 

Also obviously we can trade Payne, get s pick back and draft another DT w/ that pick, defender or something to help our team.

Neither of them have even looked close to having much impact. Matt looks like he’s lost his explosiveness. This has been noticeable drop in play and that could be due to snaps.

9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Neither of them have even looked close to having much impact. Matt looks like he’s lost his explosiveness. This has been noticeable drop in play and that could be due to snaps.

Last year when Settle got more snaps bc Ioannidis tore his bicep he got 4 sacks and played well in the run game. We all know when Matt I gets the snaps he performs, they’re just not getting them like in years past bc all 4 of the DTs are healthy.

I also want to be clear as I’ve always been, this is not me hating Daron Payne or anything. I love Payne and he’s awesome. I am trying to field the best DL we can with the best depth possible.  I think trading Payne for draft picks while extending Matt I, re-signing Settle and in the next few years re-signing Montez & then Chase does that better than any other combination.

Keeping Payne while losing Settle in March & Matt I. next year bc he won’t be splitting starter snaps like if Settle is re-signed & & then losing Montez in 2025 to me seem like a real downgrade in the depth and talent of our DL rather than just trading away & losing Payne.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Last year when Settle got more snaps bc Ioannidis tore his bicep he got 4 sacks and played well in the run game. We all know when Matt I gets the snaps he performs, they’re just not getting them like in years past bc all 4 of the DTs are healthy.

I also want to be clear as I’ve always been, this is not me hating Daron Payne or anything. I love Payne and he’s awesome. I am trying to field the best DL we can with the best depth possible.  I think trading Payne for draft picks while extending Matt I, re-signing Settle and in the next few years re-signing Montez & then Chase does that better than any other combination.

Keeping Payne while losing Settle in March & Matt I. next year bc he won’t be splitting starter snaps like if Settle is re-signed & & then losing Montez in 2025 to me seem like a real downgrade in the depth and talent of our DL rather than just trading away & losing Payne.

I wouldn’t not resign any of the big 4. They gave Allen his money deal and when we need to resign Chase and Sweat he can be a leader and rework his deal to keep the band together through all of their best years. Teams have kept big time units together. Seattle kept the legion and Michael Bennett and Bobby. They can keep this DL I wouldn’t move on from any of them unless the pick bring back made it worth it. These guys are all impact level players. Their returns have to equal that value. 

And honestly I’m just at the point I want to see these guys just grow together. We spent key picks on these guys with a vision. The vision of TG this team clearly stated being a tough team up front defensively now we’re able to groom behind them and make a unit I’m paying them and just excited to watch them all back on the field together wreaking havoc. Excited to see Sweat back in a few and Chase next year hungrier then ever

Edited by ripsean21

10 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I wouldn’t not resign any of the big 4. They gave Allen his money deal and when we need to resign Chase and Sweat he can be a leader and rework his deal to keep the band together through all of their best years. Teams have kept big time units together. Seattle kept the legion and Michael Bennett and Bobby. They can keep this DL I wouldn’t move on from any of them unless the pick bring back made it worth it. These guys are all impact level players. Their returns have to equal that value. 

I don’t think they’ll be able to keep all 4 and I don’t think they should allocate that much $ to one position group, if they do that then the rest of the team isn’t as strong around them.

Michael Bennet, Bobby Wagner, Avril, Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor was spreading the wealth around different position groups.

What we would be doing is spending $36 million a year between two DTs, then w/in 5 years playing $40-45 million a year for your starting DEs.

You do that and it limits your cap flexibility for other positions, plus we’re going to give Terry a deal that’s going to be near $20 million a year, what in the world do we do when we finally get a franchise QB or have to extend Heinicke if he proves to be that?

We can act like the $ the cap the DL will take up won’t affect the rest of the team, bc it will.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think they’ll be able to keep all 4 and I don’t think they should allocate that much $ to one position group, if they do that then the rest of the team isn’t as strong around them.

Michael Bennet, Bobby Wagner, Avril, Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor was spreading the wealth around different position groups.

What we would be doing is spending $36 million a year between two DTs, then w/in 5 years playing $40-45 million a year for your starting DEs.

You do that and it limits your cap flexibility for other positions, plus we’re going to give Terry a deal that’s going to be near $20 million a year, what in the world do we do when we finally get a franchise QB or have to extend Heinicke if he proves to be that?

We can act like the $ the cap the DL will take up won’t affect the rest of the team, bc it will.

By then you are moving one or two of these guys. But that one is after those players peak and you can maybe get draft capital to move them. Eventually we will have to make the choice. But it’s going to be made after Chase is paid and we have time to figure out what is the best course for this unit when that happens. And we can talk numbers but none of these guys have earned those types of deals. I believe moving forward we will see things that warrant those types of deals. When we get to that point we can worry about who has to go.

But if their just a good collective unit I think then your giving out more house contracts and it’s okay if a guy or two on this unit aren’t great but as a unit their great. If Tez isn’t elite but realizes his best chance is here maybe he takes a tad less as Payne can as well. We don’t know ultimately they will get paid. But I’m trying to see this unit be great to make us have to be in a position to decide instead of talking about paying them before they’ve even shown the unit as a whole can be great. 

6 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

By then you are moving one or two of these guys. But that one is after those players peak and you can maybe get draft capital to move them. Eventually we will have to make the choice. But it’s going to be made after Chase is paid and we have time to figure out what is the best course for this unit when that happens. And we can talk numbers but none of these guys have earned those types of deals. I believe moving forward we will see things that warrant those types of deals. When we get to that point we can worry about who has to go.

But if their just a good collective unit I think then your giving out more house contracts and it’s okay if a guy or two on this unit aren’t great but as a unit their great. If Tez isn’t elite but realizes his best chance is here maybe he takes a tad less as Payne can as well. We don’t know ultimately they will get paid. But I’m trying to see this unit be great to make us have to be in a position to decide instead of talking about paying them before they’ve even shown the unit as a whole can be great. 

Yeah, you’re right and that guy is Payne next year. You trade Payne to Pitt or a team who needs a DT next year for a conditional 1st or 2nd round pick that isn’t worse than a 2nd.

You re-sign Settle on a deal like Ioannidis’s. Ioannidis & Settle split starter reps opposite Allen & Daniel Wise is you’re 4th DT.

Edited by turtle28

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

send it i'll take it, i hope he turns out to be great.