Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I can’t remember one person in this forum wanting us to pick Herbert. Tua maybe but Herbert, never. 

I remember parrothead wanting to trade down rather than take Chase Young at 2, and I believe he felt one of the guys we could get if we traded down was Herbert. I don’t remember anyone wanting Herbert at 2, but I’m pretty sure PH had Herbert as a target if we traded down like he wanted us to.

I think Chase will be fine recovering from his ACL tear. He's not a player that relies on a speed rush nor is he a quick twitch type of player. He might not be 100% next year but I think he'll be fine after that. Depending on how James Smith-Williams performs, they might want to bring in some depth via draft pick or FA next year though. James Smith-Williams has played adequately in Chase's absence. 

58 minutes ago, Troublez said:

What was their reasoning for that? Bc they wanted a QB? If it was Herbert, those people were right....

No one wanted Herbert at #2. I repeat no one in this forum, I don’t remember anyone on Twitter or any scout/mock drafter had Herbert going 2nd in the 2020 NFL draft. It was Burrow & Chase Young 1-2 in the draft. 

Some people wanted to trade down and if we did maybe Herbert, Simmons, Sewell or Jeudy would be available 3 to 5 picks later and we could have another 2021 1st and other picks.

Some people looked at our DL and already saw 4 first round picks on it (Kerrigan, Allen, Payne & Sweat) so, they thought we should trade down and take another position besides DE again.

There were some people, I think Parrothead being the only one, or maybe one of 3 at the most who didn’t like Chase as a prospect but could never really come up with a good explanation for it, it was “just because I said so.” Parrothead kept touting Gregory Rousseau (U of Miami) & AJ Espenesa (Iowa). He thought we could trade down get two firsts from the Raiders I think and get AJ Espenesa bc he was somehow better than Chase Young.

Espenesa is a back up in Buffalo, as is Gregory Rousseau. Espenesa has only started 1 game in 2 years and has 1.5 sacks in 2 seasons.

I think we selected the right guy, sadly Chase didn’t have the 2nd year statistically that we wanted him to but he did have an impact on a lot of plays and even more sad is that Chase tore his ACL which means he may not be 100% next September when the season starts.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think Chase will be fine recovering from his ACL tear. He's not a player that relies on a speed rush nor is he a quick twitch type of player. He might not be 100% next year but I think he'll be fine after that. Depending on how James Smith-Williams performs, they might want to bring in some depth via draft pick or FA next year though. James Smith-Williams has played adequately in Chase's absence. 

I definitely think they should be looking to draft a DE in the mid rounds but I fear they won’t. I don’t know how to explain this other than somewhat arrogance, but just like Mike Shanahan was w/ OL/RB/WRs, Rivera seems to think he and JDR can take these late prospects (JSW, Toney & WBK) or guys like Toohill, teach them exactly what they want them to do and if they do it their D will be just fine and it won’t matter that their guys don’t have electricity talent. 

In someway they’re right if the guy you have who isn’t as talented does everything you teach them to do every time he’ll be a decent player but at some point you need top talent because the most talented players have the highest upside and have the ability to make game changing plays that the jags can’t make.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They don’t play the same position. Parsons isn’t rushing with his hands in the dirt. Sorry dude, you can keep pulling up every player that comes along to discredit Chase but you’ve been doing this the entire time he’s been on the roster. I’d respect this a lot more if you stayed in the other thread you created after he went on a tear his rookie season and won DROY. 

Don't play the same position, but Parsons already has 9 sacks on the season. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

Don't play the same position, but Parsons already has 9 sacks on the season. 

Yes but due to not playing with his hand in the dirt he ends up in favorable matchups where his speed becomes a major factor. Chase is a power rusher with his hand in the dirt. Also, Parsons would’ve been a top 5 pick without the baggage. 

At some point, I think there has to be some voice of reason. 

Chase is already a good player. He may actually already be a really good player, depending on how you choose to value run defense from the DE spots. Because he’s terrific in that capacity, in addition to being a real threat as a pass-rusher. 

But if I’m being fair, and you asked me if I still believe Chase is going to be an consistent All-Pro contending, HOF-level DE — gun to my head, I have to say no. I just don’t think he has quite the juice as a pass-rusher and quite the finishing instincts that I hoped he would. Doesn’t make him a bad player or a bust. But I’m a little disappointed with what I’ve seen to this point, and I think that’s probably true of just about everybody. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

At some point, I think there has to be some voice of reason. 

Chase is already a good player. He may actually already be a really good player, depending on how you choose to value run defense from the DE spots. Because he’s terrific in that capacity, in addition to being a real threat as a pass-rusher. 

But if I’m being fair, and you asked me if I still believe Chase is going to be an consistent All-Pro contending, HOF-level DE — gun to my head, I have to say no. I just don’t think he has quite the juice as a pass-rusher and quite the finishing instincts that I hoped he would. Doesn’t make him a bad player or a bust. But I’m a little disappointed with what I’ve seen to this point, and I think that’s probably true of just about everybody. 

It DOES make hm a bust. Drafted second overall-That player HAS to be SPECIAL . . If a guy drafted there isn't a Game Changer. Then it was a bad pick .

Edited by RSkinGM

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yes but due to not playing with his hand in the dirt he ends up in favorable matchups where his speed becomes a major factor. Chase is a power rusher with his hand in the dirt. Also, Parsons would’ve been a top 5 pick without the baggage. 

This is no different than people already having their mind made up on chase not being good. No matter what is brought up you’ll make an excuse for Chase. Parsons is much more of an impact player already than Chase has ever shown in the NFL.

• Like 1

Huge play Young!!!! That’s exactly why I wouldn’t pick a QB round one this year. That’s a NFL throw that is a IT player moment but a guy after an adverse game Bryce has shown me he’s worth a top pick all year I love this kid and hopefully we’re looking alittle more forward if Taylor earns his job the rest of the year. Good teams draft Good QB’s or go get their guy. I’d wait for my guy and he’s not in this class but Young very much is a guy I’d go get.

totally meant this for the QB thread talking about The Bama QB

Edited by ripsean21

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

This is no different than people already having their mind made up on chase not being good. No matter what is brought up you’ll make an excuse for Chase. Parsons is much more of an impact player already than Chase has ever shown in the NFL.

Where did I ever say anything bad about Parsons? What are you even on about here? Are you sure you quoted the correct person? I’ve literally said nothing but nice things about Parsons this entire season every time he’s been brought up lol. 

47 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Where did I ever say anything bad about Parsons? What are you even on about here? Are you sure you quoted the correct person? I’ve literally said nothing but nice things about Parsons this entire season every time he’s been brought up lol. 

You’re excusing Chase by saying Parsons is at a greater advantage. Let me ask you. Which player has been a bigger playmaker regardless of position/use?

35 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

You’re excusing Chase by saying Parsons is at a greater advantage. Let me ask you. Which player has been a bigger playmaker regardless of position/use?

Again, what does this have to do with anything? This is like comparing Kyle Pitts to Jamar Chase. They do not play the same position. But if you want me to answer just for the sake of answering Parsons has had a bigger impact this season but that was never an argument I was fighting against. The only thing I said is his position affords him the opportunity to make more plays which you clearly have an issue with. 

Also, just to add to this. Chase was pretty damn good his rookie year. Forced multiple turnovers, missed games but still ended up with 7.5 sacks and was a monster against the run. Won DROY and was voted a top 100 player by his peers which I guess you can say doesn’t mean anything but I digress. 

Edited by lavar703

On 11/21/2021 at 4:08 PM, mar29020 said:

James smith-williams already has as many sacks as chase young does. If that doesnt show how awful Young was idk what does.

Smith-Williams> Young

You continually prove my point at how you literally don't watch any football. 2 sacks in 2 games. Kind of weird how that happens after Chase Young gets hurt isn't it? I'm hoping that you are just trolling at this point, or else you really have no clue.