Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

11 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I honestly don't believe this to be true.... the Team appears better as a cohesive unit rather than Chase free lancing all over the place. Do you guys remember the press conferences during the by? Ron was calling out immaturity and lack of discipline... and he was suggesting it was all Chase Young.

I have not heard those two words since he has been injured and our defense is playing much much better. 

But our DL was never the problem this season. Our problem was the back 7 since day 1 of the regular season. Our secondary has been playing better the last 6 games and because of that, the D is better. If the secondary had been playing at this level the first 6 games of the season then Chase & Montez would each have a few coverage sacks bc they’d get an extra second or 2 to get to the QB. It’s the back 7 in coverage and it’s always been the back 7 in coverage as to why our D was one of the worst in the league the first 6 weeks of the season.

Rivera talked about the issues w/ the secondary constantly in code in interviews the first month of the season by saying the secondary & the pass rush have to be married together or, the secondary has to stick closer to defenders in zone.

Yes, Chase & Montez weren’t perfect, no one is but the secondary was by far the biggest issue - just like last year - and when the back 7 started playing better, our D looked better as a whole, same as last year.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, mar29020 said:

also, how awesome is jon allen this year? he is really beginning to have a big impact on games. 

So maybe that’s why Chase isn’t a bust yet!!! Players progress and teams key on things players struggle with. And when those players improve on those things they progress. Chase is a heck of a football player. And he’s only going to get hungrier and better with this injury. Because now he’s missing something he loves. This guy is going to take the time to break tape down as he heals and he will adjust his game while he rehabs. He and Kam Curl are really good football players. A few more good players on this defense and we will be nasty. 

• Like 1

Chase Young was a huge disappointment this year but he is going to get at least another year+ to show that Defensive Rookie of the Year talent again.  No point even debating it.  Plus if you dumped him now you would be selling low.  

In the next few years we have the challenge of trying to retain our defensive front: Payne, Sweat, Young, Settle, Ionnaidis (already done)

Sweat has been impressive at times, but he doesn't seem to have the upside of Young.  I would honestly think about trading Sweat in the offseason and focus on keeping the other guys including Young.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Chase Young was a huge disappointment this year but he is going to get at least another year+ to show that Defensive Rookie of the Year talent again.  No point even debating it.  Plus if you dumped him now you would be selling low.  

In the next few years we have the challenge of trying to retain our defensive front: Payne, Sweat, Young, Settle, Ionnaidis (already done)

Sweat has been impressive at times, but he doesn't seem to have the upside of Young.  I would honestly think about trading Sweat in the offseason and focus on keeping the other guys including Young.

The guy you trade is Daron Payne. It sucks to have to lose Payne but he’s the easiest to replace out of Chase, Montez & Payne.  I’d trade Payne next spring and I’d re-sign Settle. Settle & Ioannidis can split Payne’s reps next to Allen.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The guy you trade is Daron Payne. It sucks to have to lose Payne but he’s the easiest to replace out of Chase, Montez & Payne.  I’d trade Payne next spring and I’d re-sign Settle. Settle & Ioannidis can split Payne’s reps next to Allen.

I don't agree.  Payne has been our second best in the d front outside of Allen.  You reward consistent production.  

10 hours ago, mar29020 said:

wrong pal, sorry you cant swallow truth.

Oh, I so remember people worried about if Jon Allen was going to work out long term or if he was a bust in 2017 when he only had 1 sack and then he got the serious lisfranc injury in his foot. Maybe it wasn’t you, I have no clue who those people were 4 years ago but is the same as you overreacting to Chase Young not breaking out as a dominant force yet when he’s only 22 years old.

I mean just last year Jon Allen only had 2 sacks and because most fans only equate sack stats to good/great DL play some fans didn’t want to re-sign Jon Allen long term, they wanted to trade him away for a 1st round pick or something and then we would just re-sign Payne instead bc as they said Payne was clearly the better of our 2 DTs.

I was/am one of the very few in this forum or even on Twitter who has always defended Allen since day 1 as the defenses best leader, it’s most consistent defensive player and someone we couldn’t afford to not re-sign long term, even if that meant we couldn’t re-sign Payne and would have to draft someone else to replace him or have Ioannidis replace Payne as our starting DT next to Allen.

I am not shocked by the season Jon Allen has had. If you watch the All-22 or what some of the beat reporters put out who watch the All-22 and tell us what to look for, you will always see Jon Allen’s value to our defense even if he isn’t getting sacks and that’s not even including his value as our defenses leader and arguably the best leader we have on the team period.

Edited by turtle28

19 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't agree.  Payne has been our second best in the d front outside of Allen.  You reward consistent production.  

It’s easier to replace a defensive tackle & we have two replacements in house. If we did re-sign Payne, we’d then probably lose Sweat and I think it’s much harder to find an athletic freak like Sweat in the draft than it is to find a run stuffing DT. Plus as I said, we can re-sign Settle and we have Ioannidis.

I’d re-sign Settle in March on a deal like we gave Ioannidis and then I’d trade Payne to a team like Pittsburgh who needs a NT badly for their 3-4. We could get back a conditional first round pick & a mid to late round pick for Payne. My condition on it being a 1st round pick and not being a 2nd round pick we’d get back in the trade would be based on Payne getting 5 sacks in 2022.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mar29020 said:

also, how awesome is jon allen this year? he is really beginning to have a big impact on games. 

The same Jon Allen people were willing to part with before this season? Players develop and that’s what will happen with Chase. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The same Jon Allen people were willing to part with before this season? Players develop and that’s what will happen with Chase. 

"people" huh, i mean you could say that for everything. Even if Allen wasn't good i would want him around because of his leadership and he a good locker room guy. Chase "getting that money" young should take notes on him.

• Like 1