Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

16 hours ago, mar29020 said:

film?! the LAST thing i want to do is rewatch our games!

I mean that's understandable, but before you start putting takes out about calling our #2 overall pick a bust and trash, you should have examples or at least some other arguments besides "he only has 1.5 sacks". You can also see in games live that he's making plays in the run game and he's right around just hasn't been able to get home, which I agree that he needs to do because that's what he drafted him to do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Thank you /

I'm not disagreeing that his sack numbers are way too low for how high we drafted him, but he's also had 2 sacks taken away for horrible roughing the passing calls, and his run defense is very good. Also been right there a few times when Jon Allen happened to get there first. 

I'll repeat, yes I wish he had more sacks this year. Sacks aren't everything. I don't care who is getting to the QB as long as someone does and he draws a lot attention opening things up for others. Calling him a bust is foolish and I will continue to question your football IQ if you honestly think he's a bust. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Bust, at where he was picked to me . He's playing like a late 3rd rounder you hope develops . Not "GENERATIONAL". God bless and heal heal him and may he prove to be what some people thought him to be . 

If a team offered a 3rd round pick for him, would you want Washington to take that deal? 

18 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

If a team offered a 3rd round pick for him, would you want Washington to take that deal? 

Great question - probably not at this point . We drafted him too high for that-have to let it play out . PS-can I get a TWO ? 😊

Edited by RSkinGM

Just to be clear, there’s not one Washington fan who was pleased with how the first half of Young’s season went and everyone is devastated he tore his ACL. The rub comes when to determine a player is a bust or not. For me, I don’t do that until a first round pick is done with their first contract bc by then we would have 4 or 5 years of evaluation.

I get some want to jump the gun and be right or never wanted to draft Chase but it takes a Lot for me personally to call a player a bust. For me I don’t call a player a bust if the reason they didn’t work out was bc of injury bc that’s out of their control. It has to be because they just didn’t work hard enough/work out long term. Everyone has their different ideas about what a bust is though.

9 hours ago, Scott Land said:

I mean that's understandable, but before you start putting takes out about calling our #2 overall pick a bust and trash, you should have examples or at least some other arguments besides "he only has 1.5 sacks". You can also see in games live that he's making plays in the run game and he's right around just hasn't been able to get home, which I agree that he needs to do because that's what he drafted him to do. 

he had a trash season. Sacks is the measuring stick for D-lineman. ALSO let us remember what this guy was advertised as, "Once in a decade type talent", "The next Julies Peppers". Remember that next time you lecture me about putting out takes, johnny come lately.

1 hour ago, mar29020 said:

he had a trash season. Sacks is the measuring stick for D-lineman. ALSO let us remember what this guy was advertised as, "Once in a decade type talent", "The next Julies Peppers". Remember that next time you lecture me about putting out takes, johnny come lately.

You strike me as a guy who shows up to the local saloon once every 3 weeks in the middle of the 2nd quarter, orders a white claw, and watches until halftime. You see chase young get blocked a couple times and get upset because he should get a sack on every play, then comes running to the message board because you need something to whine about. Probably never played a down of football in your life and wouldn’t know talent if it slapped you in the face. 

• Like 1

Young's first season was a nice start to what I think might be a solid career. 

1. Teams had no idea on how to handle him and what kind of impact he would have. 

2. It seems that the sacks came easy for Young in his first year and didn't take into account that teams would adjust. 

3. The Draft is nothing more than a crap shoot. In order to garner interest, there is a lot of hype that surrounds quite a few players. Zach Wilson should not have gone 2 overall to the Jets. Daniel Jones should not have gone 6th overall to the Giants. Dwayne Haskins should not have gone 15th overall to WFT. No matter how much analysis you do or film you watch, any player can be a significant disappointment at the next level. 

4. This is Young's 2nd year. He needs to recover from his ACL, but at the 3rd year, things should be figured out and that will be the year to determine if he is a bust or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

Young's first season was a nice start to what I think might be a solid career. 

1. Teams had no idea on how to handle him and what kind of impact he would have. 

2. It seems that the sacks came easy for Young in his first year and didn't take into account that teams would adjust. 

3. The Draft is nothing more than a crap shoot. In order to garner interest, there is a lot of hype that surrounds quite a few players. Zach Wilson should not have gone 2 overall to the Jets. Daniel Jones should not have gone 6th overall to the Giants. Dwayne Haskins should not have gone 15th overall to WFT. No matter how much analysis you do or film you watch, any player can be a significant disappointment at the next level. 

4. This is Young's 2nd year. He needs to recover from his ACL, but at the 3rd year, things should be figured out and that will be the year to determine if he is a bust or not. 

The ACL tear sets him back next year. Generally players don’t the same until 2 years free tearing an ACL or achillies 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The ACL tear sets him back next year. Generally players don’t the same until 2 years free tearing an ACL or achillies 

Not true.  Lets not start making excuses for him next year already.  Players who come back from ACL tears that heal normally often are back in 9 months.  If things don't get well you end up with a Bryce Love situation.  Love is considered a bust of a pick despite his endless well of talent because he couldn't make it on the field.

I am with you in that it is way to soon to call out the bust card.  But lets be honest, ACL aside, Chase Young had a huge setback year this year.  He needs to deliver next year or the bust discussion will be valid injury or not.  We all know he has the talent, but he needs to translate it into production.  I sure hope this isn't even a blip of a discussion next year because it would be a huge disappointment.  I am pulling for him to make a full recovery and turn into an all-pro world beater.

17 hours ago, Scott Land said:

You strike me as a guy who shows up to the local saloon once every 3 weeks in the middle of the 2nd quarter, orders a white claw, and watches until halftime. You see chase young get blocked a couple times and get upset because he should get a sack on every play, then comes running to the message board because you need something to whine about. Probably never played a down of football in your life and wouldn’t know talent if it slapped you in the face. 

i'm just honest about his play. He was a ghost this year. Sorry pal, no need to be upset about it :)

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Not true.  Lets not start making excuses for him next year already.  Players who come back from ACL tears that heal normally often are back in 9 months.  If things don't get well you end up with a Bryce Love situation.  Love is considered a bust of a pick despite his endless well of talent because he couldn't make it on the field.

I am with you in that it is way to soon to call out the bust card.  But lets be honest, ACL aside, Chase Young had a huge setback year this year.  He needs to deliver next year or the bust discussion will be valid injury or not.  We all know he has the talent, but he needs to translate it into production.  I sure hope this isn't even a blip of a discussion next year because it would be a huge disappointment.  I am pulling for him to make a full recovery and turn into an all-pro world beater.

Very few players come back and pick up right where they left off like Peterson. I hope it doesn’t slow Chase’s development but, I can’t see how it won’t. He’ll be rehabbing next off-season instead of developing his pass moves etc.