Week 3 Leadup: 49ers on SNF

FAH1223

Matt Schneidman -  Good morning from the Bay Area. I apologize to Packer fans that I’m here. I’ve covered three NFL games at Levi’s and the teams I’ve covered have been outscored 108-31.

2018: 49ers 34, Raiders 3
2019: 49ers 37, GB 8
2019: 49ers 37, GB 20
2021:  ?

Honestly, we should hope that Aaron doesn't get hurt. Even if we DID have Jenkins today we were going to lose this game. Jordan Love should be in the game the minute Aaron starts audibling deep plays that'll just earn him another coverage sack.

In fact, we may be wise to just load up our IOL and run the triple option the entire day off either A-gap with the occasional pass on 3rd and 21.

Edited by Joe

57 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

But then you realize this doesnt make sense. Newman and Turner vs Bosa are also all very nightmarish. None of them would do better.

Because they're all going to do very poorly.

I mainly made that line because I want the best 5 out there we have. Newman played RT in college too and can't be worse than anyone else and Turner is better than Yosh. But yeah it aint gonna be pretty for anyone we put out there.

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I mainly made that line because I want the best 5 out there we have. Newman played RT in college too and can't be worse than anyone else and Turner is better than Yosh. But yeah it aint gonna be pretty for anyone we put out there.

Is Newman better at T than Yosh? I would doubt it.

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Is Newman better at T than Yosh? I would doubt it.

I just dont feel great with Yosh at LT, I also feel like Newman is a better talent and could translate to RT easier and be better than Yosh at left. But that line could fail just as easy because it gets jumbled. I just like the best 5 approach.

Edited by Gopackgonerd
  • Like 1

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

I just dont feel great with Yosh at LT, I also feel like Newman is a better talent and could translate to RT easier and be better than Yosh at left. 

Yosh was a very good prospect who needed the seasoning. call him a journeyman whatever.. If you believe in Steno you should believe in Yosh.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I just dont feel great with Yosh at LT, I also feel like Newman is a better talent and could translate to RT easier and be better than Yosh at left. 

I have to agree. Yosh backed his way onto the team this year after being on the PS the last two or three years and didn't exactly light it up in TC this year, though we can't necessarily say he was a liability.

Either way, we've found just about the worst case scenario heading into this game along the OL. The more I think of it, however, the more I think the offense won't be on the field much anyway due to our porous run defense so I suspect this will be one of those 38-10 games where they control the clock and Jones gets a TD in garbage time with Love in at QB.

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yosh was a very good prospect who needed the seasoning. call him a journeyman whatever.. If you believe in Steno you should believe in Yosh.

So then why wasn't Yosh drafted? He's not a journeyman and while I believe in Steno, I certainly don't have to believe that every lineman he touches is gold.

In all fairness to Yosh, he'll be exposed today and get dragged through the mud; but consider the opponent.

---

Also, as to the debate on who's better? It's a moot point given the opponent, plus we haven't seen Newman play OT at the professional level so while there's a true lack of sample size for either of them, Yosh's sample size is marginally bigger simply because he's had one more TC/preseason than Newman has. Do also bear in mind that Newman's role as a swing Tackle is far different than that of Nijman's - that alone should make the debate a moot point...

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

So then why wasn't Yosh drafted? He's not a journeyman and while I believe in Steno, I certainly don't have to believe that every lineman he touches is gold.

In all fairness to Yosh, he'll be exposed today and get dragged through the mud; but consider the opponent

Also, as to the debate on who's better? It's a moot point given the opponent, plus we haven't seen Newman play OT at the professional level so while there's a true lack of sample size for either of them, Yosh's sample size is marginally bigger simply because he's had one more TC/preseason than Newman has. Do also bear in mind that Newman's role as a swing Tackle is far different than that of Nijman's - that alone should make the debate a moot point...

Because he REALLY needed the seasoning. Athletically and his body profile hangs with the tops in the league. He just didnt know how to Pass pro.. Teach him a kick slide and where to put his hands and you might have something. every year he's grown. Now where does he max out as a technician?  I certainly dont give a **** if he's gold. He just has to look like he belongs. 

Again EVERYBODY you put out there is going to be exposed. It's going to be a rough day if we have to pass.

It's ok if you don't understand line play, you dont have to interject an opinion. Newman outside would be bad. He's further behind Yosh at this point on where to put his hands. WTF are you talking about Newmans role at swing vs Nijmans is different? we're talking about people STARTING at tackle today, That's a pretty similar role.