Week 3 - Ups and Downs - Fields of Dreams (Nightmares)

Bucketheadsdad

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

TL;DR

JOK needs to be an every down player. He was a wrecking ball and only played 20something snaps. 

Also, Cousins is towards the bottom of the NFL in deep balls attempted, so that hybrid position is a MUST this week, and I don't care at all if that means having him out there against a heavy running team. Play big nickel, turn him loose, and let's go. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TL;DR

JOK needs to be an every down player. He was a wrecking ball and only played 20something snaps. 

I just don’t know what more he could possibly do to prove he needs to be out there every down?  Stop the run?  Did that.  Pass coverage?  He was great.  Rush the passer?  Uh huh.

Woods had a great plan for the da Bears, but he’s gonna get the arse eye from me any time JOK isn’t in there and the defense looks like poop.

Also, Cousins is towards the bottom of the NFL in deep balls attempted, so that hybrid position is a MUST this week, and I don't care at all if that means having him out there against a heavy running team. Play big nickel, turn him loose, and let's go. 

He and Delpit and Ronnie all should be out there a lot.  They’re physical and fast enough to beat blockers to their spots.  Plus, Myles and Clowney are monsters..

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just don’t know what more he could possibly do to prove he needs to be out there every down?  Stop the run?  Did that.  Pass coverage?  He was great.  Rush the passer?  Uh huh.

Exactly. He's proven to be, in the time given, the complete and total package. He's a human missile tackler, he can fight off blocks, and he's an elite athlete as a hybrid guy. He's a total game changer. The tackling, block shedding (of wrist band players as I like to call them), coverage, and even ability to rush the passer is borderline unheard of.

Woods had a great plan for the da Bears, but he’s gonna get the arse eye from me any time JOK isn’t in there and the defense looks like poop.

0% excuse to not use him more. It's not like the Vikings are going to be using a bunch of 22 personnel, which is about the only argument I'd ever come close to listening to on not having him out there more.

He and Delpit and Ronnie all should be out there a lot.  They’re physical and fast enough to beat blockers to their spots.  Plus, Myles and Clowney are monsters..

Agreed. Big Nickel should be their absolute base, and they need to find ways to use Delpit more...but in their defense, Hill has quietly made that VERY difficult. JJ3 needs to step up more, albeit that DPI was an absolute garbage call last week.

If they can get to 2nd/3rd and long, I'd go with a DIME package and use all of them out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I'll disagree with the Mayfield play. He wasn't his best, no doubt. He overthrew Felton early on what would have been a likely TD. He missed Bryant later in the game on another play that could have been a TD. But he was playing a week after injuring his left shoulder. Have to believe that factored into some of the off target throws. He was also under duress a lot in the game. 5 sacks and hit I believe 7 times. Gotta love when your QB gets hit in the head, flag gets thrown, and the officials decide to pick it up. Only Cleveland! Just to compare, In week 1 Ryan Tannehill was sacked 6 times, and ended up fumbling twice and throwing an interception. The fact that Baker was taking hits, getting sacked, and keeping care of the football. If a bad game from Baker means he completes 62% of his passes for 240 yards and doesn't turn the ball over, I will take that all day long. 

If it was because the injured left shoulder that he was missing guys, then that's kind of discouraging.  It just was the weakest performance of the 3 games so far.  Glad he didn't turn the ball over though.

19 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

If it was because the injured left shoulder that he was missing guys, then that's kind of discouraging.  It just was the weakest performance of the 3 games so far.  Glad he didn't turn the ball over though.

I'm not sure how that would be discouraging if it was due to an injury. the non throwing arm is still an essential part of accuracy. if he wasnt able to elevate the left shoulder to the normal range, then the counter on the right side is typically a higher angle on the right side. It has a bigger impact to release point than you'd think. I was a throws coach and thrower in HS and college for track and field, and one of the most important factors in launch angle and optimal release point is the non throwing side being in the right spot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I'm not sure how that would be discouraging if it was due to an injury. the non throwing arm is still an essential part of accuracy. if he wasnt able to elevate the left shoulder to the normal range, then the counter on the right side is typically a higher angle on the right side. It has a bigger impact to release point than you'd think. I was a throws coach and thrower in HS and college for track and field, and one of the most important factors in launch angle and optimal release point is the non throwing side being in the right spot. 

Yeah that's discouraging, we are 3 weeks in and our QB is playing through a significant injury. 

On 9/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, H2ThaIzzo said:

Gotta love when your QB gets hit in the head, flag gets thrown, and the officials decide to pick it up.

Yep, as usual we've got our work cut out for us to get any respect or breaks from the league.

Meanwhile on the same day, Baltimore gets a free play after the play clock had already run out that ultimately wins them a game they should have lost...

4 hours ago, dawgdish said:
On 9/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, H2ThaIzzo said:

Gotta love when your QB gets hit in the head, flag gets thrown, and the officials decide to pick it up.

Yep, as usual we've got our work cut out for us to get any respect or breaks from the league.

Meanwhile on the same day, Baltimore gets a free play after the play clock had already run out that ultimately wins them

“The quarterback is still a runner and therefore is allowed to be hit in the head,”

I think that is the go to.

I don't know if they thought the rules changed because he was out of the pocket but that only applies to low hits. Maybe they decided it wasn't a forcible blow. Or maybe they just wanted it to be a closer game.