the Jaguars should fire Urban Meyer immediately

Apparition

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Urban got caught at a bar with someone who wasn’t his wife, so now we’re comparing him as a coach to Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens? Seems like a pretty massive leap you’re taking here yourself.

Na it seems like you’re taking a purposefully myopic view of the situation to compartmentalize Urban’s already disastrous run as Jags coach tbh.

In a vacuum sure maybe this incident wouldn’t be an indictment of him as an NFL coach, but added with the racist coach thing, the bringing in Tebow when you know it’s going to bring a circus with him thing, the straight up uncomfortable no-eye-contact press conferences whenever he’s asked a hard question thing, the telling the media they cut players based on vaccination status which forced the team to have to retract publicly for damage control thing, the splitting reps between Trevor and Minshew just to trade Minshew a few weeks later for a bag of chips thing, the telling the media “we wanted to draft toney with the ETN pick” thing (great confidence booster for the young fella), and most importantly the doesn’t look like he even has a strong grasp on the coaching details like sending the correct units on and off the field in Houston week 1 thing......yeah I think it’s somewhat significant. Hell of a first 4 weeks. 

But if you think Meyer’s the guy, more power to you.

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Na it seems like you’re taking a purposefully myopic view of the situation to compartmentalize Urban’s already disastrous run as Jags coach tbh.

In a vacuum sure maybe this incident wouldn’t be an indictment of him as an NFL coach, but added with the racist coach thing, the bringing in Tebow when you know it’s going to bring a circus with him thing, the straight up uncomfortable no-eye-contact press conferences whenever he’s asked a hard question thing, the telling the media they cut players based on vaccination status which forced the team to have to retract publicly for damage control thing, the splitting reps between Trevor and Minshew just to trade Minshew a few weeks later for a bag of chips thing, the telling the media “we wanted to draft toney with the ETN pick” thing (great confidence booster for the young fella), and most importantly the doesn’t look like he even has a strong grasp on the coaching details like sending the correct units on and off the field in Houston week 1 thing......yeah I think it’s somewhat significant. Hell of a first 4 weeks. 

But if you think Meyer’s the guy, more power to you.

You got me. Clearly saying Urban is definitely the guy here.

Just now, .Buzz said:

You got me. Clearly saying Urban is definitely the guy here.

I mean, you’re spending an awful lot of time rationalizing in this thread about why this incident isn’t actually that big of a deal and why the players actually don’t even really care...call it what you want but clearly you’re trying to downplay it lol your motivations are yours and yours alone for that but like I said, more power to you 🙏🏼

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we also need to evaluate the whole laughing "with" vs "at" thing, here

Given everything we know about Trevor Lawrence, to assume that he would lead it in public if it was *at* Urban is a pretty severe accusation against his character and leadership skills. He’s quite clearly not a guy who would make a dig at his coach in a malicious manner with cameras all on him, even if he felt that way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The importance of having a stable and well respected coach that players can rely on and want to play for being downplayed into essentially “meh, players make lots of $, i’m sure they don’t really care who their coach is” is a wild turn in this thread but hey 

@MWil23 help me out here because it’s been a few years...did the Browns improve at all once they got rid of Hue Jackson/Freddie Kitchens for Kevin Stefanski? I’m sure it wasn’t like an 0-16 to winning in the playoffs type deal was it? Would be a wild coincidence considering NFL players are millionaires and therefore coaching really has no impact on the team 

You're not wrong there, that's for certain. That said, they did at least get some really solid young talent during those years that Stefanski was able to develop. They got Garrett in 2017, then got Baker, Ward, and Chubb with their first 3 picks in 2018, made some massive trade downs during the years before that which netted them additional picks, and then Stefanski and company came in and developed that talent into largely what you see today.

Granted, the pre-2018 cupboard was very bare (aside from Myles), but it turned quickly when they started stringing together picks and surrounded others with capable coaching. 

I mean, Baker is the perfect example here. He went from having a record season rookie year under Gregg Williams and an energetic regime, to a historically bad 2019 season under Kitchens, to a very solid 2020 campaign (particularly the last 9-10 games), and the Browns look like the real deal despite some major injuries early.

The same holds true for Baltimore, who is on about their 4th RB, down a couple of key OL (one they traded)...the list goes on with other teams as well (See: Darnold thus far and the Carolina Panthers).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, you’re spending an awful lot of time rationalizing in this thread about why this incident isn’t actually that big of a deal and why the players actually don’t even really care...call it what you want but clearly you’re trying to downplay it lol your motivations are yours and yours alone for that but like I said, more power to you 🙏🏼

Awful lot of time rationalizing? I’ve made like 7 posts (3 in this back and forth with you), and the first post said “I don’t think Urban works out” to start it all off.

I can think Urban fails while also having the view that this situation isn’t a big deal. 

Jesus.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Given everything we know about Trevor Lawrence, to assume that he would lead it in public if it was *at* Urban is a pretty severe accusation of his character and leadership skills. He’s quite clearly not a guy who would make a dig at his coach in a malicious manner with cameras all on him, even if he felt that way.

I think you are SEVERELY reaching here. Which is understandable because you're a fan of the team. But Meyer is the laughingstock of the sports media world currently. So there's two options:

(1) Trevor Lawrence unwittingly made a tasteless joke without any malice intended while not understanding the gravity of the situation literally everyone else recognizes or

(2) He (and the rest of the team members that laughed and likely others) have understandably lost all respect for him and are confident enough to display it knowing the vast majority of everyone else also does not respect him

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

Awful lot of time rationalizing? I’ve made like 4-5 posts, and the first post said “I don’t think Urban works out” to start it all off.

I can think Urban fails while also having the view that this situation isn’t a big deal. 

Jesus.

All in or all out. No nuance allowed. 

Here's my genuine Urban take here. It's one of two things:

1. He's perfectly unwilling to do the "squeeze every last second out of the day" coaching that he used to do and pull a Mike Holmgren in Cleveland, who was notoriously unapologetic for working "a 9:00-5:00 job", because he's content and just thought he could coast a bit.

or

2. (More likely) Back in college, you could just stay a few extra days, pitch it as a recruiting trip, where you also "blow off steam" and paint the town, you hand your guys the game plan, give them Sunday off, run and lift on Monday, then prepare to face Akron on Tuesday knowing that you're going to blow their doors off. The NFL isn't like that. The parity in this league is something that he's not used to, or at least hasn't been used to for quite some time. Urban was always an ELITE recruiter and a capable coach (offensively great early on), but he relied on his talent to win him games, which they did almost always. It's the same reason why outside of Utah he never went undefeated and always stumbled at least 1 game against an inferior opponent.

We're talking about the same guy who started JT Barrett for 4 years, and multiple of those years had Dwayne Haskins and Joe Burrow on the roster.

• Like 4

Just now, incognito_man said:

I think you are SEVERELY reaching here. Which is understandable because you're a fan of the team. But Meyer is the laughingstock of the sports media world currently. So there's two options:

(1) Trevor Lawrence unwittingly made a tasteless joke without any malice intended while not understanding the gravity of the situation literally everyone else recognizes or

(2) He (and the rest of the team members that laughed and likely others) have understandably lost all respect for him and are confident enough to display it knowing the vast majority of everyone else also does not respect him

Talk about severely reaching. 

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Awful lot of time rationalizing? I’ve made like 7 posts (3 in this back and forth with you), and the first post said “I don’t think Urban works out” to start it all off.

Jesus.

And in your attempt to support your view that this situation isn’t a big deal, you a.) are completely ignoring everything else Meyer has done up to this point like this happened in a vacuum, and b.) are attempting to explain why the concept of NFL players caring about who is coaching them is ridiculous.

I find that wild. That’s why i’m responding to it. I think that’s an utterly ridiculous position to have. I’m sure others do as well. 

Is what it is haha have a good one

12 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And in your attempt to support your view that this situation isn’t a big deal, you a.) are completely ignoring everything else Meyer has done up to this point like this happened in a vacuum, and b.) are attempting to explain why the concept of NFL players caring about who is coaching them is ridiculous.

I find that wild. That’s why i’m responding to it. I think that’s an utterly ridiculous position to have. I’m sure others do as well. 

Is what it is haha have a good one

Except I literally have only discussed the situation over the weekend in this thread and haven’t once referenced/argued about anything besides that?

I also haven’t once said a player doesn’t care whatsoever about who is coaching them.

But yeah, haha you too

24 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

the bringing in Tebow when you know it’s going to bring a circus with him thing,

I think circus is a bit of an exaggeration. You had a deranged sports media make condescending comments all summer because for some reason they despise a guy who travels to the 3rd world to cut cysts out of children and fights human trafficking more than abusers of women and gang members. It wasn’t like 10 years ago when Skip Bayless started every show for a year talking about him.

• Like 1