WEEK 4: UNDEFEATED 3-0 Denver Broncos vs 2-1 Baltimore Ravens - 2.25pm MDT /// 4.25pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

IMO the most critical play of the game was when TB went down. That was painful and all on Meinerz. Kid was just looking for work but the second he jumped over to help Bolles (who didn't need any) a LB ran right through his abandoned "A" gap. 

Welcome to the NFL Quinn. Just do your job. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

ST is literally 10-20 percent talent (you need enough speed to cover), 20-30 percent kicker/punter skills (KO guy gets it deep, punter gets hang time/directionality/sideline ability) - and >50 percent coaching.   It's embarrassing that we're this bad year in and year out.    It's about preparation, drills, and coaching on angles, staying in lanes, and training the skills that are the easiest to learn (out of the pro football skill sets).

There's a reason teams like New England and Baltimore do so well on ST's.   Coaching literally makes the difference in ST's.    And to be as bad as we are, and have been for a while now, is flat out inexcusable.   And that's not just on the ST coaches, but on the HC.    Accountability is key.   It's what makes Fangio going on about BAL's decision to go for  the record so ridiculous.    Honestly, you don't like it, don't be in that position to begin with.  SMH.

Fangio is a great DC, and he can develop D talent.  He gets players and teams ready to compete.    But his game management (outside of week 1) has remained the same.   We gave him a pass because it wasn't needed Weeks 2-3.  It's just disheartening to see it in a game where it did matter - and to show Fangio going back to his game mismanagement ways.    He should be fired up about how bad our ST play is, because that's actually fixable, or holding an Urban Meyer-level presser to apologize for his game management (again).   To waste time on BAL's last play - man, it's a bad look.  SMH.

Will add overall it was an extremely un-spirited and disappointing effort from the team. At home in a big game for them. So we all gotta pin that on the coaches, for sure. Whole team / gamplan felt like it lacked urgency. 

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

IMO the most critical play of the game was when TB went down. That was painful and all on Meinerz. Kid was just looking for work but the second he jumped over to help Bolles (who didn't need any) a LB ran right through his abandoned "A" gap. 

Welcome to the NFL Quinn. Just do your job. 

It was a terrible game and situation for Meinerz to walk into, and for the most part I thought he actually held his own, no thanks to the rest of the OL. Right now I think Muti is unplayable because of his pass pro. There’s an opportunity for Meinerz to take a job and hold on to it if Glasgow’s injury is a long term issue. You just can’t justify keeping Muti on the field if he’s getting your QB hit constantly. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

On 10/4/2021 at 12:09 PM, broncos67 said:

I do not understand your dislike for George Paton. Every time we have a coaching vacancy, you rail against the "hot coordinator" candidates. So for the GM role, we go out and hire an incredibly well regarded personnel guy. He has had ONE offseason, and now you've pivoted to this idea that we're okay with mediocrity. Is the current coaching situation less than ideal? Yes. But you have no clue what the internal dynamics were behind keeping Fangio. None of us do. All I know is this, the guy is well regarded around the league for his talent chops. Bringing in a GM is not a one-year process, and I know you know that.

Paton was well regarded, yes. But, again, he comes from an organization which hasn’t been to a Super Bowl since anyone here has been alive. They’ve always had a good, very good at times, roster and mediocre coaching. Mike Zimmer is fine, but no one is confusing him with the Reids/Patons/etc of the world. 

I’ve also never said Paton is totally incompetent. What I’ve taken issue with is passing on Fields - much as I think PS2 will be very good - the only reason I said was justifiable was if they were certain they were going to land Rodgers.

And, as I’ve said, the statement about the goal to play meaningful football late in the year is inexcusable. The goal should be to contend for the super bowl, not a WC berth.