WEEK 4: UNDEFEATED 3-0 Denver Broncos vs 2-1 Baltimore Ravens - 2.25pm MDT /// 4.25pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

Nothing ground breaking from me, but here are some of my thoughts on the game:

- Limit big plays through the air: As is the case with all Offenses that offer a threat in the run game (whether it be the QB or the RB), the threat of big plays off Play Action are always there.
We have to stay disciplined and force the Ravens to put high volume drives together.

- Limit redzone trips: When you have a QB like Lamar Jackson, it makes defending the redzone so incredibly difficult. Teams become more willing to use their QB in the run game that they might not deem worth the risk (as much) between the 20's. The Ravens are 3rd in the league in TD efficiency in the redzone so we have to limit their trips as much as possible.

- Make Lamar beat us by throwing short routes: I know he's absolutely capable of doing it, but it gives us a better chance of winning if we make Lamar dink and dunk us rather than let him run 10, 15, 20 yard runs off all the time.
Easier said than done, that's for sure. There aren't many athletes in the entire league that can effectively spy Lamar. But, we have to try.

- Be aggressive in the redzone: Whilst the Ravens are 3rd in the league in redzone TD efficiency, we are 26th. Now, a lot of that has been down to us being up in games and not having to force the issue. That isn't the case this week. Lamar is capable of coming back from large deficits, and no lead is safe until late in the 4th. We absolutely have to do everything in our power to score 7's rather than 3's when we get the chance.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Nothing ground breaking from me, but here are some of my thoughts on the game:

- Limit big plays through the air: As is the case with all Offenses that offer a threat in the run game (whether it be the QB or the RB), the threat of big plays off Play Action are always there.
We have to stay disciplined and force the Ravens to put high volume drives together.

- Limit redzone trips: When you have a QB like Lamar Jackson, it makes defending the redzone so incredibly difficult. Teams become more willing to use their QB in the run game that they might not deem worth the risk (as much) between the 20's. The Ravens are 3rd in the league in TD efficiency in the redzone so we have to limit their trips as much as possible.

- Make Lamar beat us by throwing short routes: I know he's absolutely capable of doing it, but it gives us a better chance of winning if we make Lamar dink and dunk us rather than let him run 10, 15, 20 yard runs off all the time.
Easier said than done, that's for sure. There aren't many athletes in the entire league that can effectively spy Lamar. But, we have to try.

- Be aggressive in the redzone: Whilst the Ravens are 3rd in the league in redzone TD efficiency, we are 26th. Now, a lot of that has been down to us being up in games and not having to force the issue. That isn't the case this week. Lamar is capable of coming back from large deficits, and no lead is safe until late in the 4th. We absolutely have to do everything in our power to score 7's rather than 3's when we get the chance.

Thx for doing these, figured it was going at least 4 weeks with you leading the way.  Respect.

Other things I'd add:

1.   How does the D adjust to seeing Lamar Jackson for the first time?    This is a key element - teams that have never faced Lamar before often get boat-raced on D.   LAC won in playoffs on the road 3 weeks after getting annihilated by them at home due to that lack of familiarity.   You cannot account for his speed in real time by watching film.     That's where losing our depth on D really hurts.   Fangio is obviously an awesome DC, but this bears watching.

2.  Can our O stretch the field and make BAL respect this?    No Hamler, no Jeudy.  Fant is banged up, chunk play threat is nonexistent.    BAL's D gets 3 starters and 2 DL rotation guys back after missing last week.   Will they respect the intermediate/deep ball, or just clog the short area?   

3.   Can we mitigate the ST disadvantage?   We are a bottom 5 unit.  BAL is perenially a top 3 unit.  That's a massive disadvantage.     Can we at least make it respectable, and not have a huge L here? 

4.  Can our revamped OL contain their pass rush?    Say what you will about Glasgow & Risner - but the unit as a whole did an amazing job of pass protection, albeit against bad competition.   We now have a rookie/2nd year guy playing their 1st start - vs. a top 10 pass rush unit, and able to present exotic looks.    Man, this is a rough matchup.

5.  Can Teddy make "plus" game-winning plays on his own?  We've seen the reasons why Teddy was picked as our starter - he makes quick reads, and won't put the ball in jeopardy.   He won't cost us games against lesser teams.   Now, the reason why no other QB-needy team wanted him, is because he's never shown the ability to win games on his own, to carry teams on his back.   No Jeudy, no Hamler, and likely facing an O that can put up 24+ pts easily - can he keep up, and win a gunslinger / higher-scoring needed game?    Now, his test really begins.

6.   Will Fangio be as aggressive with game management wise as he was in Game 1?   When the game was on the line at key points, Fangio & co. made big bold decisions @ NYG week 1.  He hasn't needed to the last 2 games.   So, will they do the same vs. Harbaugh and BAL as they did week 1?   Harbaugh certainly will (it's his MO, and he keeps following it - look at what he did vs. KC, going for it to keep the ball away from Mahomes late).

Now, I know ppl will say "but BAL barely beat DET" - but again, they were missing 5 starters / key rotation guys on D - who will ALL be back.    On O, they could get Rashod Bateman back, but even if they don't, Mark Andrews & Hollywood Brown have been feasting on D's trying to take the run away.   Brown literally dropped 2 TD's and a 40 yard play - otherwise, they aren't even close to behind.     It's hard to count on that same type of random rare events happening again.  And then you take our losses on the roster - we're down 7 starters from Week 1 (Jeudy, Hamler, Risner, Glasgow on O, Darby, Jewell & Chubb on D).   

Hate to say it, but I see a 30-24 type W by BAL.    Obviously if we win the TO game, or can find a way to limit Lamar, it's still a game we can win - but so many matchups don't go our way with the rosters each team is fielding now, and the ST/coaching edge strongly towards BAL too.  Either way, looking very forward to seeing this, given it's our real time.  NOW we find out what this team has for sustained contention.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

While we look to be a better team than I had expected at the opening of the season, I don't see us taking this one. I hope I don't get personally attacked (again) for saying as such but when you look at the two spots that have the biggest influence on the outcomes of games - Head Coach/coaching staff and Quarterback - Baltimore has a distinct advantage. Add in our injuries relative to the Ravens' health, as was pointed out, along with the other ancillary factors I think this is the week we get our first loss. 

I think we will battle and keep it at least mildly interesting, but in the end I see the Ravens taking it by a somewhat comfortable margin. 

Ravens 27, Broncos 16

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

With all the injuries, let’s be honest with ourselves. We’re probably gonna get roughed up a bit in this one. Our defense has played very well against rookie QB’s and bad teams. But Jackson’s gonna be a little different story. And the injuries on offense are gonna cause a problem eventually. 

Ravens 24

Broncos 17

Idk, this one is definitely winnable IMO. I think it will be a great game with the crowd being a real factor, somewhere in the 20-17 to 23-20 range. Unfortunately, they do have the GOAT kicker which is huge in the kind of game I expect. It’s a scary matchup because you can give up a 70 yard TD any play but I think our defense is capable of doing what they need to get them behind the sticks and have SOME plan for Lamar that doesn’t end in total embarrassment. 

The interior OL might tell the story. So much unknown in putting three guys with a combined 21 career starts in that spot. They could kill the game but if they’re not awful, I think we can move the ball.

Edited by BroncoBruin

I just don't see what athletes we have to deal with Lamar, should the Ravens choose this as a game they want to win at all costs.

If that back injury is actually something of note, maybe they tell him to limit his rushes. But if it's one of those games where he goes Michael Vick and has like 15 carries, how are we going to stop that? 

Our LB unit isn't even close to quick enough to impact him, and our DL isn't either. I guess Justin Simmons kinda is, but you're really hamstringing yourself if you're relying on your FS to spy a QB.

For me, the key is definitely getting points on the board early. We CANNOT fall into a deficit where Wink gets to start dialling up blitzes on 3rd and long. I watched the Ravens-Chiefs game, and that rookie from Penn State is an absolute monster. I really don't fancy seeing him and Justin Houston on 3rd and long.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just don't see what athletes we have to deal with Lamar, should the Ravens choose this as a game they want to win at all costs.

If that back injury is actually something of note, maybe they tell him to limit his rushes. But if it's one of those games where he goes Michael Vick and has like 15 carries, how are we going to stop that? 

Our LB unit isn't even close to quick enough to impact him, and our DL isn't either. I guess Justin Simmons kinda is, but you're really hamstringing yourself if you're relying on your FS to spy a QB.

For me, the key is definitely getting points on the board early. We CANNOT fall into a deficit where Wink gets to start dialling up blitzes on 3rd and long. I watched the Ravens-Chiefs game, and that rookie from Penn State is an absolute monster. I really don't fancy seeing him and Justin Houston on 3rd and long.

The other parts to our matchup: 

1.  Team D’s that face Lamar the first time almost always get gashed by his speed.    Film doesn’t capture how fast and sudden he is.   Taking bad angles the first time is so commonplace that first game. That’s a huge issue when our LB’s are our Achilles.  

2.  Jewell knew where to be in pass coverage.  He signlehandedly took out RB / TE in his area.  If his replacement isn’t as good Mark Andrews is going to be a problem.   We have faced NYG without Engram, and Jets / Jags who don’t have league average TE talent.  Compared to that Andrews represents a quantum leap in opposition talent. 

3.  One area to exploit is Lamar can be tricked into throwing into coverage.   He’s still just an “OK” passer.    The problem is most teams have to play zone and 8 men in the box until it’s an obvious pass down.   But there are opps for Simmons and the secondary to ball hawk.   That’s one path where we overcome the matchup edge BAL enjoys. 

If the back is a legit problem for Lamar that helps us a ton.  If it’s not I see BAL scoring 24+ easily.   30 wouldn’t surprise me - the first time results for a Lamar O are eye opening and the matchups exaggerate the effect IMO.  We can win this game but the O will have to great.  That’s where no Hamler / Jeudy and Fant gimpy really adds to the longer odds IMO.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

I think Caden Sterns will be a huge part of the game plan. Sterns is the guy you can afford to play everywhere who has the elite athleticism and ability to cover space quickly. But that’s half the battle…tackling will be anyone’s guess when he’s put in 1 on 1 situations vs the QB version of Barry Sanders. And those could be game deciding plays. 

I am expecting a really good game on Sunday. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

I know it's against the grain, but I don't really think Baltimore's got a chance of walking out of here with a win. 

It's true we've only played the NFL/s worst. It's also true we completely dominated them. So far our defense has only yielded 2 meaningful TD's. Even counting NYG's last play TD and the KO return we're still only allowing 8.7 PPG and 220 YPG. That's pretty special.

Our offense just keeps rolling. Our opponents keep forcing us to throw daring TB to beat them. He's been up to that task. I've seen some posts regarding a deep game, basically without Jeudy and KJ we don't have one. I disagree completely. TB throws an accurate 55 yd pass. If Baltimore thinks single coverage on Patrick and Sutton will be okay then bring it on.

I haven't seen more than 20% of our plays but I've seen them 10+ times each. We're playing outstanding "assignment" football on both sides of the ball. Everyone is doing their job.

I think tomorrow we'll see the same. 21st century D and 20th century O. By the 4th we'll be walking away with it.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3