WEEK 4: UNDEFEATED 3-0 Denver Broncos vs 2-1 Baltimore Ravens - 2.25pm MDT /// 4.25pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

24 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Two days ago people were saying the Ravens are beatable because - after 3, maybe 4, dropped TDs last week - they needed a HOF kicker to make a record breaking kick to win against the Lions

The truth is, and there is no bigger Broncos fan than me, this team has deep flaws at critical positions and they were exposed today. The Ravens are a very good team, with an elite HC and a QB who is impossible to game plan for. They are good in all 3 facets of the game, very good. We, on the other hand, have a good defense, a mediocre offense, a crap coaching staff and the worst special teams in the league. 

We had some injuries, yes, but our flaws were exposed. This doesn’t mean we’re going 5-11 again but we that we have some deep-seeded flaws that will keep us from competing with the true big boys of the NFL. 

The season isn’t over because we lost a game the majority of which here penciled in as a L when the schedule was released. It’s fine. We will be competing, throughout the season, and will contend for a playoff spot at around a 10-7/9-8 record. Expecting more was foolhardy.

Who is people? I think most everyone here is realistic and while we might pick Denver to win doesn’t mean anyone believes we should beat the Ravens. If you mean idiots on talk radio and social media well then I don’t know what to tell you, a wet **** carries more weight than any imbecile on the radio. 

Ravens were beatable but it took having a much better game plan, a clean ST day and no injuries. None of those things happened so we lost against a better team. Hardly a shocking result and like I said its the games against the Steelers that if we lose then I will be concerned.

38 minutes ago, Orangecrush151 said:

As much of a lock fan I was when he came in he looked completely lost. No help from shurmer/line and receivers. And lack of reps but damn Teddy sure looked better under pressure. And seemed to know what to do…. But I think this game could of been completely different. Albert o drops a td first possession. Second possession someone had a drop too I forget who. But we could of demoralized the ravens. Our d was great in first quarter. And tbh did ok the whole game.. but I’m more on the teddy side now. If we made the plays that teddy made good throws on and decisions first few drives game could of been completey completely different 

Eh I’m not gonna pile on Lock too much considering he hasn’t gotten any snaps with the 1st team offense in over a month but he did look like the exact same ole QB. But this was a bit more excusable, for now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

Who is people? I think most everyone here is realistic and while we might pick Denver to win doesn’t mean anyone believes we should beat the Ravens. If you mean idiots on talk radio and social media well then I don’t know what to tell you, a wet **** carries more weight than any imbecile on the radio. 

Ravens were beatable but it took having a much better game plan, a clean ST day and no injuries. None of those things happened so we lost against a better team. Hardly a shocking result and like I said its the games against the Steelers that if we lose then I will be concerned.

To be fair it was posted on the Week 3 thread post-game that DET forcing a 66 yard FG was a sign BAL could be beat.   Even though they were missing 5 starters / key rotation guys on D due to Covid, and Stanley last week (they got 4 of those 5 guys back this week), with Hollywood Brown dropping 2 TD's on different drives, and another 40+ yard play that could have scored.   Most games can still be won by either team, I think we all get that - but BAL should have been the clear favorite, not us.   We play them 10x with this roster matchup as it stood today pre-game, pretty clear they win 7-8x minimum.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

I was really just speaking about the fan base in general, not singling out anyone here

Even as one who is a skeptic of this team, as currently constructed, I’m not surprised at the loss, nor should anyone be. We have flaws, we’re improved from we were last year and the last few years. But we’re not a contender.

And going east to play at 11am against a wounded bear in the Steelers has me worried. They’ve looked like hot garbage the last 3 weeks, yes, but they also went to Buffalo and beat the snot out of a legit Super Bowl contender in the Bills in week 1. They have a HOF coach and QB and, like I said, it’s an 11am game on the east coast.

I wouldn’t worry if we lose next week either - this is an above average team; one with some good young talent at some key positions but also one that is seriously lacking in some other areas (on the roster and elsewhere) and is battling a litany of injuries to players expected to play major roles. 

I really don’t think I’m saying anything that controversial here….

No doubt this team is improving under Fangio. But when you bring in a coach to rebuild a team, there is a certain speed at which the team has to improve or you miss your window. Guys leave for free agency, key players age out of their primes, etc. If you can't outrun that slow drip, then you end up in NFL purgatory, sentenced to a decade of 8-9 finishes mixed with a handful of wildcard defeats. Fangio is in his 3rd season with us, and we are nowhere close to being championship contenders. Belichick won a Superbowl in his second year with NE. Shanahan in his 3rd with us (we should have won in 96' as well). Andy Reid had his Eagles in the NFCCG by his third season, and the Chiefs deep in the playoffs by his 3rd with them. The point is, Fangio could be our coach for the next 10 years and the best this team will ever finish is 10-7. I guess for my part, it kind of bothers me that so many in the fan base (in general, not just in this forum) seem to be ok with that. I remember an era of Broncos football when that wasn't good enough, and I'm not sure at what point that changed. 

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

No doubt this team is improving under Fangio. But when you bring in a coach to rebuild a team, there is a certain speed at which the team has to improve or you miss your window. Guys leave for free agency, key players age out of their primes, etc. If you can't outrun that slow drip, then you end up in NFL purgatory, sentenced to a decade of 8-9 finishes mixed with a handful of wildcard defeats. Fangio is in his 3rd season with us, and we are nowhere close to being championship contenders. Belichick won a Superbowl in his second year with NE. Shanahan in his 3rd with us (we should have won in 96' as well). Andy Reid had his Eagles in the NFCCG by his third season, and the Chiefs deep in the playoffs by his 3rd with them. The point is, Fangio could be our coach for the next 10 years and the best this team will ever finish is 10-7. I guess for my part, it kind of bothers me that so many in the fan base (in general, not just in this forum) seem to be ok with that. I remember an era of Broncos football when that wasn't good enough, and I'm not sure at what point that changed. 

What’s concerning is that, for this franchise, that target - barley plus .500 and a WC contender - is now the upper end of the stated goal.

George Paton comes from a franchise where they were always a bridesmaid and never a bride. These aren’t the Bowlen/Shanahan/Elway/Reeves Broncos anymore where the Super Bowl is the goal. It’s a team where the goal is “to play meaningful football in November and December.”

What we can hope for is for a new owner - whomever it may be - to reestablish the Super Bowl culture around here. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What’s concerning is that, for this franchise, that target - barley plus .500 and a WC contender - is now the upper end of the stated goal.

George Paton comes from a franchise where they were always a bridesmaid and never a bride. These Bowlen/Shanahan/Elway/Reeves Broncos anymore where the Super Bowl is the goal. It’s a team where the goal is “to play meaningful football in November and December.”

What we can hope for is for a new owner - whomever it may be - to reestablish the Super Bowl culture around here. 

I wonder who the new owner(s) will be? I've heard a lot of rumors but as of now, it's all just conjecture.

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

I wonder who the new owner(s) will be? I've heard a lot of rumors but as of now, it's all just conjecture.

We have a thread for it. 😄

But no one should really read too much into the game today. We won 3 games we expected to win and lost one we expected to lose.

At the quarter pole, I think we’re about where we all thought we’d be. Looking forward, we have a few games that look a little more winnable than we thought in August and a few they look a little more difficult. 

We’re not a doormat and we’re also not a Super Bowl contender. Is that different than what anyone thought?

The big problem with that game against the Ravens is not that we lost - but how we lost - we got spanked and never looked like we were at the races. 

People have said that we expected to lose and that we left a lot of yards on the field - well - we should never expect to lose - and the Ravens left a ton of yards on the field as well.

And I don’t blame Lock - but it should be noted that TB wasn’t any better in the first half. 

The blame lies with the coaching staff - with Paton for putting forward a vision for mediocrity - and most especially with Joe Ellis for sabotaging various efforts to attempt to fix the problem over the past few years.

• Like 2

I honestly think this game will end up bringing the opinions of most Broncos fans together.

* Teddy clearly gives us the best chance to win and Drew simply isn't good enough. BUT, Teddy is still that QB that can't drag a team to victory and is far too over reliant on supporting cast

* Injuries have simply crippled this team. BUT, the Offensive playcalling has to take responsibility for not adjusting the game plan well enough to compensate for said injuries

Few other things:

Are we sure Noah Fant is good? This is the sort of game he should have had 10+ targets. What's the deal here? (EDIT - turns out he did have 10 targets. Not that it helped us Offensively, mind).

I said it live in the thread - this team isn't good enough to drop wide open TDs. 

There's not enough disruption going after the QB without heavy blitzing. Against teams with speed outside that will outrun man coverage, eventually that will come to bite.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

idk how people can say Paton made mediocrity a priority I mean Fields for Surtain doesn't make us marginally improved or Jones I'd like to see Lock get more wear I mean there is a peak on this team with Teddy but a higher floor I still think there's a higher ceiling but a lower floor . unless drew is basically Brock osweiler. 

I also don't get the fuss over the Ravens going for that record. It's creating NFL history which will definitely matter to the Ravens. I would want us to do the same thing.

I understand why that might have bothered us at the time, but hopefully our Coaches and players aren't still pissy about it now they now why the Ravens did it.

• Like 1

Even if he has not taken 1 snap in 1 month with the offensive team and train against the defensive team, Drew Lock is still responsible for the defeat according to some. It's still amazing.
90 yds is Bridgewater's offensive total yesterday and again ... at this point the offensive line was doing a bit of its job.
Then completely dominated by power and speed. Meinertz and Muti are still far from being valid replacements.
0 support from Sutton who still missed many routes yesterday. On the interception ... no desire. Pathetic.
Where has Noah Fant gone since the start of the season?
Inability to stretch the field. KJ Hamler out ... no one behind him.
Anyway, we have seen TB does not know how to do it. It throws between 10 and 20 per security.
How many TOs has the defense created in 4 games?
Pat Surtain will surely be a good player, but how many times has he been attacked again yesterday? He is far from his player ... we are not in the NCAA he relies too much on his talent.
Anyway for years if the opposing team attacks with his TE, no player will be able to cover. Andrews did what he wanted yesterday.
We were still beaten by the passes of Lamar Jackson ... the passes .....
For 3 years we have seen little change from Fangio. Yesterday, no TO at the end of the 1st half time, we let the clock run.
No need to wait until the end of the season. This team is not going anywhere. Very good defensive coach but that's it.
We still have 5 games to win given the schedule (WFT / Raiders (at home) Lions, Steelers, Bengals), the rest will be very very complicated

Edited by French Fan