2021 Week Four GDT Steelers at Packers

Steeler Hitman

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't think this team is better with Mason, but they darn sure aren't going to be a whole lot worse. 

I don’t think Mason would do this:

Mason, Dobbs, Haskins. They’d all extend the play to try to get it to Pat. They might not be super accurate but they’d try. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don’t think Mason would do this:

Mason, Dobbs, Haskins. They’d all extend the play to try to get it to Pat. They might not be super accurate but they’d try. 

Wooooooooowwwwww

I didn't see that. Yikes, Ben is washed. He got used to the comfy life of sitting behind a great pass blocking line. 

There were a few positives and a lot of negatives:

A few positives:

Run game was better because the OL got some push. - - While the push wasn't by any means great. There were some positives. The OL even pass protected better than the previous three weeks. Again, that is not saying a lot, but Ben was given time to make some throws and the overall OL play was the best we have seen all season.

Najee Harris is a stud in the making. - - Let him shoulder a lot of the offensive production. Despite being a rookie, I think he can shoulder the prime spotlight. This may also take some much needed pressure off of the QB to perform at the same level that he did four or five years ago.

Special Teams - - I have been highly critical of STC Danny Smith, but despite some ups and downs with our rookie punter (which is to be somewhat expected) The team has blocked a punt and a FG (BS call. I agree. Joe Haden you were not offsides. Great timing)! The coverage has been pretty solid despite the opening KO long return. I don't think the FGA return for a TD wins it this week like the Punt block TD changed the game in Buffalo, but kudos for doing a solid job. Now to get Pressley more consistent punting. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Najee Harris is a stud in the making. - - Let him shoulder a lot of the offensive production. Despite being a rookie, I think he can shoulder the prime spotlight. This may also take some much needed pressure off of the QB to perform at the same level that he did four or five years ago.

You are not wrong at all, but at this point if we don't see the offense figure it out or see Ben able to complete passes to maintain drives, I would rather spell Najee down to a 50-60% role. 

He looks good. We are going to get nothing out of having him play 95% of the snaps other than a faster wear down of his body. If the offense can't turn it around, at least save his body a bit for next year and the future. 

• Like 4

one upside of seeing ben like this, is that their is a good chance we can find someone better to start next yr. The FO will have to replace the 28th-34ish best QB in the NFL..I trust they can do that. speaking of the future for starting QB's in the North..I hope Baker gets Paid by the browns soon....that dude is another Goff put in a good system

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

This has started my draft planning much earlier than normal.  Top 10 pick, here we come.

My hope is we can swing a good rookie QB, and let him compete with Mason and Haskins(or a FA stopgap). I'd love to have Rodgers, but I think the team would be much deeper with a rookie contract QB. Maybe we could even sign a big name OL. 

57 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My hope is we can swing a good rookie QB, and let him compete with Mason and Haskins(or a FA stopgap). I'd love to have Rodgers, but I think the team would be much deeper with a rookie contract QB. Maybe we could even sign a big name OL. 

That’s what I prefer too. Hard to win with paying a QB top dollar these days. 

Watch here as the rookie QB stares down his intended target and tries to throw the cover 2 hole shot and gets easily intercepted. 

Sorry, I meant 18 year vet, not rookie. What a silly mistake. 

Watching the last couple of weeks has me questioning if Ben had just always been this bad or this unwilling to hold/move defenders or if he is literally just mentally fried by this season (in week 4!!!). 

This is a blatantly bad play to stare down DJ and last week on the 4th down check down, it was a perfect alignment to hold the MOF defender and have Freiermuth on the seam/post. 

• Like 1

I am not excited about any QB in the draft at this point.  Would I take a flyer on Willis?  Yeah, but he would not play for a year.  I like I would rather take Neil (OT Bama) or Linderbaum (IOL Iowa) in the 1st.

Right now, IMHO, there are 4 QBs that might be ok but all of them have warts,  Strong, Willis, Corral and Ridder.  Rattler might make it into the talk.  I would rather build from the trenches and draft Cole Kelly in the 4th-5th

Edited by jebrick

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am not excited about any QB in the draft at this point.  Would I take a flyer on Willis?  Yeah, but he would not play for a year.  I like I would rather take Neil (OT Bama) or Linderbaum (IOL Iowa) in the 1st.

I am very firmly in the camp of - if you can't take THE guy, don't take A guy. If you believe someones a really good QB, take em. But last I checked it was about a 50% hit rate of just flat okay starters in the NFL in the first round. So, if you have a top 10 pick, don't waste it on an Andy Dalton ceiling just because he is a QB. 

Just for fun, did the math again: its 45% hit rate on okay quarterbacks from 2010 through 2020. 15 out of 33 first round picks. And that's counting dudes like Winston, Bridgewater, and RGIII as "wins". 

Edit: For more fun I just did top 10 picks in the same rang....it was slightly worse at 43% -- 10 of 23.

Edited by Dcash4

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I am very firmly in the camp of - if you can't take THE guy, don't take A guy. If you believe someones a really good QB, take em. But last I checked it was about a 50% hit rate of just flat okay starters in the NFL in the first round. So, if you have a top 10 pick, don't waste it on an Andy Dalton ceiling just because he is a QB. 

Just for fun, did the math again: its 45% hit rate on okay quarterbacks from 2010 through 2020. 15 out of 33 first round picks. And that's counting dudes like Winston, Bridgewater, and RGIII as "wins". 

Edit: For more fun I just did top 10 picks in the same rang....it was slightly worse at 43% -- 10 of 23.

If we end up playing like this, we'll get a crack at the 1st or 2nd QB.

What I do think is interesting this draft (My opinion), is that it's less 'tiered' and more 'what's your flavour?'. Carson Strong has a big arm and is accurate, but isn't mobile. Howell seems like a solid, but not special, modern QB. Willis has a ton of potential, but only 1 1/2 years starting as a QB. M.Corral may be more NCAA QB than AN NFL QB. Cincy QB is athletic but struggles with accuracy, etc. 

It will/would be really interesting to see which direction they went if they had their choice.

1 minute ago, mwalker said:

If we end up playing like this, we'll get a crack at the 1st or 2nd QB.

What I do think is interesting this draft (My opinion), is that it's less 'tiered' and more 'what's your flavour?'. Carson Strong has a big arm and is accurate, but isn't mobile. Howell seems like a solid, but not special, modern QB. Willis has a ton of potential, but only 1 1/2 years starting as a QB. M.Corral may be more NCAA QB than AN NFL QB. Cincy QB is athletic but struggles with accuracy, etc. 

It will/would be really interesting to see which direction they went if they had their choice.

As I said, warts.  My dream would be to trade back and get a Olineman or one of the good S or CB in this draft.

• Like 1