College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 minute ago, BroncoSojia said:

I wish I could you a high five IRL for this post. Sarah Sanders made one of the most hypocritical posts of all time in trashing the hire on her Facebook earlier.

Also, college football fans are some of the most delusional, spoiled, and impatient people in all of fandom 

I'm out of likes. So I'll give you this:

39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Tennessee is still capable of top 5 recruiting classes. With the talent they get they could absolutely contend for National Championships if they got an elite head coach. IDK why everyone is acting like they’re Iowa or something. The ceiling for that program is still very high 

Almost any P5 program can compete with an elite head coach. We're acting like Tennessee thinks they're entitled to an elite HC despite being a mediocre program for the past decade. They think that every coach should want to leave their school to go to Tennessee. It's that delusion and entitlement that all of us think is funny. Greg Schiano could put the pieces of that program back together, but their fanbase is throwing a temper tantrum because he's not the top name on the market.

Tennessee is still capable of top 5 recruiting classes. With the talent they get they could absolutely contend for National Championships if they got an elite head coach. IDK why everyone is acting like they’re Iowa or something. The ceiling for that program is still very high 

Theoretically, the ceiling for every program is high. Tennessee's floor is starting to sink deeper and it's clear that their athletic department has no idea what exactly they're doing. 

The ceiling is high but they aren't in a good spot right now. They need to be good first before they can actually be a great team. Great head coaches typically don't want to go to a program that's struggling the way they are right now.

Just now, IDOG_det said:

The ceiling is high but they aren't in a good spot right now. They need to be good first before they can actually be a great team. Great head coaches typically don't want to go to a program that's struggling the way they are right now.

Also headcoaches dont want to go to a program that is going to be swarmed with politics. There is a reason all the top tier coaches passed on UT. 

At this point Tennessee should go for a wild card type hire. I think they should go for Mike Houston.

Has built and succeeded everywhere he's been and been great at JMU. Has been coaching in the Carolinas and Virginia so has some ties to areas just outside Tennesse with reasonable talent to draw from and supplement in state recruits.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

At this point Tennessee should go for a wild card type hire. I think they should go for Mike Houston.

Has built and succeeded everywhere he's been and been great at JMU. Has been coaching in the Carolinas and Virginia so has some ties to areas just outside Tennesse with reasonable talent to draw from and supplement in state recruits.

I wish Pat Summitt was still around. I'd have hired her.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Urban Myer and Bill Belicheck had respect for Aaron Hernandez as well. We see where that got them.

Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East in 04. During their time there, Schiano was like 11-28.

RIch Rod left West Virginia after 07. Brian Kelly won at Cincinnati in 08-09

Did you see the Big East conference for those years, and the years the good coaches were gone?

• Syracuse-sucked
  • UCONN-had that one year
  • Pitt-had that one year
  • Temple? Really?
  • South Florida-descent under Leavett, awful under Holtz

Fact is, Schiano lost at least 4 games in his last 5 years at Rutgers against a conference of turds. Yay! He brought Rutgers from complete **** to just halfway lukewarm ****.

This was before I realized the (pretense) behind this protest of the Schiano hiring was the Sandusky connections. I'm more than happy with UT fanbase being outraged if its purely a question of ethics and morals. To me it seems like a convenient justification for Tennessee not landing their preferred candidate. 

Re: your attack of Schiano as a low-quality candidate. Belicheck and Meyer, regardless of what you think about their politics/job as leaders of men, are two of the most revered and impactful coaching figures in the profession. Their glowing endorsements are going to mean something, especially because most coaching candidates aren't going to get that. You think Derek Dooley and Butch Jones came with those kinds of endorsements? 

You criticize Schiano for moving Rutgers from being terrible to mediocre, but that is no small achievement. Rutgers was 11-44 in the five years prior to Schiano's hire. Prior to Schiano's hire, the Rutgers football program had made ONE bowl game. He brought them to 7 bowls in 8 years, and a winning record during his tenure. That is impressive. There's a reason the NFL came calling for him, he is and was respected within the profession. 

Schiano took Rutgers to a 7-5 record in '05, an 11-2 record in '06, and an 8-5 record in '07 when the conference had the following coaches: RichRod (WVU) / Bobby Petrino (UL) / Mark Dantonio + Brian Kelly (Cincy) / Randy Edsall (UConn) / Jim Leavitt (USF) / Dave Wannstedt (Pitt) / Greg Robinson (Syracuse). To act like that isn't an impressive group of coaches is entirely disingenuous. 

Consistently bringing Rutgers to 8 wins is nothing to be ashamed of. I agree, he didn't make Rutgers into a consistent conference champion. But look at Tennessee's past hires: Derek Dooley (17-20 at Louisiana Tech) and Butch Jones (50-27 at Central Mich and Cincy). Tennessee is not going to pull Gary Patterson, Jon Gruden or Chris Petersen. It is not that good of a job and no coach wants to put up with this clownshow. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but my guess is Tenn ends up with someone like Tee Martin, DJ Durkin, Chad Morris or Mike Norvell. Are those hires really that much better (resume-wise) than Schiano? Only Norvell has coached a team to a winning record, and even he took over a program in fantastic shape. Mostly those are guys who have done a good job as a coordinator (something Schiano did these past two years) who have good resumes and connections to the SEC/area. 

If we are talking strictly performance, Schiano is not a bad candidate for Tennessee. I don't think they can plausibly expect to be pulling top flight CFB coaches. 

1 minute ago, ak23 said:

If we are talking strictly performance, Schiano is not a bad candidate for Tennessee. I don't think they can plausibly expect to be pulling top flight CFB coaches. 

They don't want top flight CFB coaches, they want John Gruden. 

All jokes aside, that is their problem. They truly believe they are a head coach away from immediate Top 5 status. And they refuse to see otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

God I hope Schiano rips a nice chunk of change from UT...

I hope they never let Manning back on campus, since of his supposedly sexual abuse scandal.

This is a really good point. They had to pay out of pocket to his accuser for a settlement. This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Archived