College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 minute ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Some Mississippi State insider is saying Don Brown being Moorhead's DC is a real possibility. I feel like there's a near zero percent chance of that actually happening, but that would be the worst.

Bailing from Harbaugh before he leaves for the NFL?

Nothing backing that, just a theory. Harbaugh feeling a bit of heat at Michigan now, gets a chance at another NFL job(maybe to go coach Andrew Luck in Indy) and takes it, so Brown wants to get on a decent staff asap?

Would be the only reason for Brown to leave Michigan I'd think.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

I know there's no point in continuing a conversation when someone tries to tell me Schiano did an "amazing job at Rutgers". Guess Butch Jones did an amazing job at CMU and Cinci too.

Butch Jones followed Brian Kelly at both schools. Schiano walked into a Rutgers program that hadn't been to a bowl game since 1978 and whose previous coach went 11-44. It took the guy a few years to build up the program, but once he got it stabilized, they averaged 8 wins per year and went to bowl games in 6 out of 7 seasons. He rebuilt a truly atrocious program. And where is Rutgers now? Oh right, they're terrible again.

If you removed your head from your rear end, you'd see that Schiano is, at worst, a decent coach. He's a decent coach with credibility who can stabilize your program and make it respectable again. Your loony fans ran the guy off. And if you land another Derek Dooley or Butch Jones, you're going to waste another four years before you end up in the same place you are now . . . desperately needing a guy who can stabilize your program and get it moving in the right direction again.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Butch Jones followed Brian Kelly at both schools. Schiano walked into a Rutgers program that hadn't been to a bowl game since 1978 and whose previous coach went 11-44. It took the guy a few years to build up the program, but once he got it stabilized, they averaged 8 wins per year and went to bowl games in 6 out of 7 seasons. He rebuilt a truly atrocious program. And where is Rutgers now? Oh right, they're terrible again.

If you removed your head from your rear end, you'd see that Schiano is, at worst, a decent coach. He's a decent coach with credibility who can stabilize your program and make it respectable again. Your loony fans ran the guy off. And if you land another Derek Dooley or Butch Jones, you're going to waste another four years before you end up in the same place you are now . . . desperately needing a guy who can stabilize your program and get it moving in the right direction again.

Butch Jones is literally a Schiano clone. A piece of **** who is, sure, a "decent" coach 9 bowl games in 11 years across CMU/Cinci/Tennessee(well, 9 in 12 counting this year I suppose).

He took a Tennessee team that hadn't recruited an offensive lineman in it's last recruiting cycle among other dubious bull**** Dooley did to 3 straight bowl games after his first season, including back to back 9 win seasons.

Winning at generally ****ty schools happens all the time by all sorts of "decent" coaches. Coaches like Butch Jones and Jim McElwain can do that too, doesn't make them a P5 caliber coach.

If UT wanted Schiano level results should have just kept Butch Jones.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Butch Jones is literally a Schiano clone. A piece of **** who is, sure, a "decent" coach 9 bowl games in 11 years across CMU/Cinci/Tennessee(well, 9 in 12 counting this year I suppose).

He took a Tennessee team that hadn't recruited an offensive lineman in it's last recruiting cycle among other dubious bull**** Dooley did to 3 straight bowl games after his first season, including back to back 9 win seasons.

Winning at generally ****ty schools happens all the time by all sorts of "decent" coaches. Coaches like Butch Jones and Jim McElwain can do that too, doesn't make them a P5 caliber coach.

If UT wanted Schiano level results should have just kept Butch Jones.

Butch is at best a poor man's Schiano. Winning at schools that Brian Kelly already set up for success doesn't mean anything. And taking Tennessee to a bowl game with some sort of regularity ain't saying much (especially with how weak the East has been). Schiano is the type of high floor coach who could have gotten Tennessee back to respectability and set them up nicely for the guy after him (if needed). Les Miles is the other guy on the market who can provide that. Tennessee is in the toilet right now. They need a safe hire. But their fans seem intent on the boom/bust hires (well, after they realize they're not landing the pipe-dream hires). That keeps biting y'all in the arse.

The problem with Tennessee is that it's the proverbial 7 who thinks she's a 10.

28 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm telling you what I did and you're trying to tell me what I did. Why is this a thing?

The perfect answer when someone calls you out eh? "I know what I did, not you"? 

You set yourself up there, if anything. It's all in good fun though, chill man. Nobody here is trying to be purposefully hostile. 

Anyways, back to coaches...

It's clear you have a disdain for Schiano as a person. I don't agree with you on that end, but I wont dis your opinion.

I think he's a very good coach. I get why any individual may not want him associated with the program though. But I sincerely doubt that the entire Tennessee fanbase/community/boosters/legislature/etc. really felt THAT morally obligated to spurn him. Was he the "best" candidate? No. I agree with you on this. Gundy >>> Schiano. But prior to chasing Gundy, Schiano is who the school picked. This is why so many are being anti-Tennessee at the moment. The school's administration picked a guy, the fans/boosters/whatever revolted, but for unsubstantiated reasons that appear to be mostly temper tantrum driven. It is distasteful and makes Tennessee a less attractive job than it honestly should be, for all of the wrong reasons. 

35 minutes ago, winitall said:

Why would Pep leave his current role at Michigan to be the OC at Arizona State?  The odds of that are slim to none.

I doubt he would. But as it stands, he's the Assistant head coach and passing game coordinator for Michigan. OC would be a little bit of a titular promotion (unless I'm missing something with how Michigan's staff is structured, of course). If he's eyeballing a head coaching gig, it could be beneficial to him (again, unless he's offered a HC position now). I doubt Harbaugh is leaving Michigan any time soon, so Hamilton's upward mobility there is restricted (ie, he isn't going to be Michigan's HC any time soon). Even if Harbaugh left, it's no sure thing. And ASU isn't a bad spot to be a coordinator in. They have some tools on offense and a good run there, out from under the shadow of Harbaugh, could increase his stock. 

Again, I don't think he would, but I think there are a few reasons he could at least consider, though maybe not just ASU alone. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I doubt he would. But as it stands, he's the Assistant head coach and passing game coordinator for Michigan. OC would be a little bit of a titular promotion (unless I'm missing something with how Michigan's staff is structured, of course). If he's eyeballing a head coaching gig, it could be beneficial to him (again, unless he's offered a HC position now). I doubt Harbaugh is leaving Michigan any time soon, so Hamilton's upward mobility there is restricted (ie, he isn't going to be Michigan's HC any time soon). Even if Harbaugh left, it's no sure thing. And ASU isn't a bad spot to be a coordinator in. They have some tools on offense and a good run there, out from under the shadow of Harbaugh, could increase his stock. 

Again, I don't think he would, but I think there are a few reasons he could at least consider, though maybe not just ASU alone. 

Pep has a lot of play calling responsibilities already as the passing game coordinator. Being made an OC isn’t really a big step up. He also is already being brought up around head coaching searches, with both ASU and Mississippi State appearing to have shown interest. Plus he’s getting paid over a million a year. I doubt ASU has that kinda resources for an OC. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Butch is at best a poor man's Schiano. Winning at schools that Brian Kelly already set up for success doesn't mean anything. And taking Tennessee to a bowl game with some sort of regularity ain't saying much (especially with how weak the East has been). Schiano is the type of high floor coach who could have gotten Tennessee back to respectability and set them up nicely for the guy after him (if needed). Les Miles is the other guy on the market who can provide that. Tennessee is in the toilet right now. They need a safe hire. But their fans seem intent on the boom/bust hires (well, after they realize they're not landing the pipe-dream hires). That keeps biting y'all in the arse.

The problem with Tennessee is that it's the proverbial 7 who thinks she's a 10.

How about McElwain? Golden? Hoke? Gill? Do I need to keep naming every coach who has won(and sometimes won pretty big) at schools that are generally bad? Why is this all of the sudden some key thing that determines a great coach?  And that's not to say there aren't good group of 5 school coaches that come and do well in the power 5, but acting like it's some sure thing just because Schiano did well at Rutgers is ignoring the history of every other lower end school that's done well under a coach who then went on to fail at a bigger program.

Tennessee has been in the toilet since we let Mike Hamilton become AD. It's nothing new. And we keep hiring retarded AD after retarded AD who makes retarded coaching hire after retarded coaching hire.

Hell we've managed to send the Lady Vols down the ****ter(relative to what they did under Pat). Could hire any womens basketball coach in the country that we wanted to just about, but we're content with sweet 16s under Warlick.

Mens basketball had turned in to a gigantic mess too after Pearl was fired due to the NCAA crap. Thank god Rick Barnes blessed us with his presence so the basketball program isn't a complete laughing stock anymore.

Everything this University has done since Dickey retired as AD has been awful. Fulmer and Summitt kept us respectable for a while and we got lucky on Pearl(until he got on the NCAA's bad side), but eventually the bad decisions just kept piling up.

So yes, Tennessee is in the toilet. It's been in the toilet since 2003 when Hamilton took over, and that's not just in football. Like I said above Fulmer and Summitt covered things up for a bit, but when Pat's dementia started and Fulmer's ability started to go down hill and then Cutcliffe leaving after 07(after coming in to save Phil's job for a little longer in 06 and 07) caused the ceiling to collapse, it's been all down hill from there.

However, I can say happily that avoiding hiring Schiano is at least one less piece of garbage to add to this dumpster fire.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

How about McElwain? Golden? Hoke? Gill? Do I need to keep naming every coach who has won(and sometimes won pretty big) at schools that are generally bad? Why is this all of the sudden some key thing that determines a great coach?  And that's not to say there aren't good group of 5 school coaches that come and do well in the power 5, but acting like it's some sure thing just because Schiano did well at Rutgers is ignoring the history of every other lower end school that's done well under a coach who then went on to fail at a bigger program.

Tennessee has been in the toilet since we let Mike Hamilton become AD. It's nothing new. And we keep hiring retarded AD after retarded AD who makes retarded coaching hire after retarded coaching hire.

Hell we've managed to send the Lady Vols down the ****ter(relative to what they did under Pat). Could hire any womens basketball coach in the country that we wanted to just about, but we're content with sweet 16s under Warlick.

Mens basketball had turned in to a gigantic mess too after Pearl was fired due to the NCAA crap. Thank god Rick Barnes blessed us with his presence so the basketball program isn't a complete laughing stock anymore.

Everything this University has done since Dickey retired as AD has been awful. Fulmer and Summitt kept us respectable for a while and we got lucky on Pearl(until he got on the NCAA's bad side), but eventually the bad decisions just kept piling up.

So yes, Tennessee is in the toilet. It's been in the toilet since 2003 when Hamilton took over, and that's not just in football. Like I said above Fulmer and Summitt covered things up for a bit, but when Pat's dementia started and Fulmer's ability started to go down hill and then Cutcliffe leaving after 07(after coming in to save Phil's job for a little longer in 06 and 07) caused the ceiling to collapse, it's been all down hill from there.

However, I can say happily that avoiding hiring Schiano is at least one less piece of garbage to add to this dumpster fire.

Until you add another piece of garbage to the dumpster fire. But you're right that Schiano's success at Rutgers doesn't guarantee anything. I still think he would have been solid for y'all and gotten you moving in the right direction. He's not a HR, but he's a single for a program that keeps striking out.

However, I think the clear difference between them is that Schiano was respected enough to get a NFL HC shot. That says a lot imo.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Until you add another piece of garbage to the dumpster fire. But you're right that Schiano's success at Rutgers doesn't guarantee anything. I still think he would have been solid for y'all and gotten you moving in the right direction. He's not a HR, but he's a single for a program that keeps striking out.

However, I think the clear difference between them is that Schiano was respected enough to get a NFL HC shot. That says a lot imo.

Yeah, likely we end up with another garbage hire. I expect nothing less from this university at this point. However if the hire is going to be garbage I wanna at least be able to like the person.

Dooley was probably the worst head coach in UT history but at least the guy was funny.

At this point might as well just get all on board the Tee Martin train(who does want to be HC here, which is more than most it seems) even though I see nothing but a horrific crash on said train. At least we'll have an off-season of talking about "hey remember the late 90s when Tee was the QB and we were really good at football? maybe he can coach like that too" before inevitably going 5-7/6-6/5-7 and doing this again in 2020/2021.

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

So yes, Tennessee is in the toilet. It's been in the toilet since 2003 when Hamilton took over.

These statements are exactly why Tennessee isn't a destination job at the moment. And that is why Tennessee should stop swinging for the fences and hire a guy that can get you 8-9 wins a year and rebuild the program's credibility. With that many issues, Tennessee simply isn't going to attract the caliber of HC they are otherwise capable of attracting. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

These statements are exactly why Tennessee isn't a destination job at the moment. And that is why Tennessee should stop swinging for the fences and hire a guy that can get you 8-9 wins a year and rebuild the program's credibility. With that many issues, Tennessee simply isn't going to attract the caliber of HC they are otherwise capable of attracting. 

I mean..sure, they're "swinging for the fences", and why not try? Worst thing that happens is Mike Gundy says no. But they're still ending up with Butch Jones and Derek Dooley. I was about to add Lane Kiffin to that list, but then remembered Lane Kiffin was actually Mike Hamilton's first choice...which says enough I guess.

It's not like we've gone out, hired our first choice big name coach(Butch Jones was our 5th choice in 2012..and I'm not sure Dooley was even on our original list in 2010) and then that ended up blowing up in our faces.

We're hiring guys that are supposed to be "8-9 win, program stabilizing guys", and they've done no such thing.

Butch did recruit some talent to this team for whatever that's worth, so at the very least whoever finally takes this god forsaken job will be in a better spot than Butch was in year 1.

Archived