College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I mean..sure, they're "swinging for the fences", and why not try? Worst thing that happens is Mike Gundy says no. But they're still ending up with Butch Jones and Derek Dooley. I was about to add Lane Kiffin to that list, but then remembered Lane Kiffin was actually Mike Hamilton's first choice...which says enough I guess.

It's not like we've gone out, hired our first choice big name coach(Butch Jones was our 5th choice in 2012..and I'm not sure Dooley was even on our original list in 2010) and then that ended up blowing up in our faces.

We're hiring guys that are supposed to be "8-9 win, program stabilizing guys", and they've done no such thing.

Butch did recruit some talent to this team for whatever that's worth, so at the very least whoever finally takes this god forsaken job will be in a better spot than Butch was in year 1.

Let me rephrase, hire an 8-9 win, program stabilizing guy and don't run him off? Butch came in and went 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, 4-6-canned. Not to say Butch was great or anything, what did Tennessee REALLY expect this year? 

If it is a better spot than Butch was in, he elevated the program, even if marginally. In that case, why fire the guy after a down year when he lost some talent and was breaking in new starters? Who would want to take a rebuilding program's head coaching position if they had to worry about getting run out of town the moment things stop moving immediately upwards? Things like this will deter otherwise interested parties. 

And why revolt against a guy that could probably have done just that?

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

STOP RUINING A PERFECTLY GOOD MEME THREAD WITH YOUR SEC **** WAVING FIGHT

thumb.jpg

In fairness I'm doing quite the opposite. I'm literally dissecting just how terrible the SEC is for it's flagship universities having to settle and rely on 4th options or whatever.

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Let me rephrase, hire an 8-9 win, program stabilizing guy and don't run him off? Butch came in and went 5-7, 7-6, 9-4, 9-4, 4-6-canned. Not to say Butch was great or anything, what did Tennessee REALLY expect this year? 

If it is a better spot than Butch was in, he elevated the program, even if marginally. In that case, why fire the guy after a down year when he lost some talent and was breaking in new starters? Who would want to take a rebuilding program's head coaching position if they had to worry about getting run out of town the moment things stop moving immediately upwards? Things like this will deter otherwise interested parties. 

Because Butch took top 10 recruiting classes and turned in 25th-rankedish results. He had Alvin Kamara and gave him 6-7 touches a game. He had a guy who had the potential to be one of the better college dual threats to ever play the game and failed to give him adequate coaching(even without said coaching, Dobbs still set records at UT), He sat on 14 point leads against teams like Florida and Oklahoma and expected to win those games like that. He settled for 45+ yard field goals vs Bama when he knew our kicker couldn't make those with any consistency at all instead of going for it on 4th and short. He tried to run his offense with an immobile QB in both his first year(excusable enough I guess, he didn't have too much of a choice. Dobbs wasn't ready at all as a freshman), then again in his 2nd year(trying to redshirt Dobbs) when Dobbs at that point was clearly the better QB over Worley, then again in this final season trying to make his zone/read option offense work with Dormady at QB, who has the mobility of Ben Roethlisberger if we're being kind.

Butch could recruit. He couldn't coach on this level to save his life though.

And Tennessee was ranked inside the top 25 to start this year. I personally expected another 8-4ish season, maybe 7-5. So I'd say the expecations were a good deal higher than 4-8. Instead we got our first 8 loss season in school history. Now only Ohio State can say they've never had an 8 or more loss season.

11 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

In fairness I'm doing quite the opposite. I'm literally dissecting just how terrible the SEC is for it's flagship universities having to settle and rely on 4th options or whatever.

3rd option. But does it really matter when our first 2 options were the top 2 guys available? We swung for the fences and came away with a double at worst imo.

Just now, jrry32 said:

3rd option. But does it really matter when our first 2 options were the top 2 guys available? We swung for the fences and came away with a double at worst imo.

I counted Kelly, Frost and Gundy but it's irrelevant, 3rd or 4th is same difference. And Mullen is probably fine but he makes some limp **** coaching decisions at times(like punting on 4th and short vs Bama instead of going for it and trying to win the game) that would really grind my gears.

Fact of the matter is it's Bama and everyone else in the SEC. Well. Bama and I guess Auburn who has these weird championship runs every 4-5 years. But mostly Bama.

Makes me want to shoot myself.

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Because Butch took top 10 recruiting classes and turned in 25th-rankedish results. He had Alvin Kamara and gave him 6-7 touches a game. He had a guy who had the potential to be one of the better college dual threats to ever play the game and failed to give him adequate coaching(even without said coaching, Dobbs still set records at UT), He sat on 14 point leads against teams like Florida and Oklahoma and expected to win those games like that. He settled for 45+ yard field goals vs Bama when he knew our kicker couldn't make those with any consistency at all instead of going for it on 4th and short. He tried to run his offense with an immobile QB in both his first year(excusable enough I guess, he didn't have too much of a choice. Dobbs wasn't ready at all as a freshman), then again in his 2nd year(trying to redshirt Dobbs) when Dobbs at that point was clearly the better QB over Worley, then again in this final season trying to make his zone/read option offense work with Dormady at QB, who has the mobility of Ben Roethlisberger if we're being kind.

Butch could recruit. He couldn't coach on this level to save his life though.

And Tennessee was ranked inside the top 25 to start this year. I personally expected another 8-4ish season, maybe 7-5. So I'd say the expecations were a good deal higher than 4-8. Instead we got our first 8 loss season in school history. Now only Ohio State can say they've never had an 8 or more loss season.

In other words, Tennessee got impatient and ran the guy off. If every school fired a guy after the first 8 loss season in school history, lord knows where some guys would be. 

That only makes Tennessee even less attractive. Butch lost 6. Interim lost the other 2... 

Trending up 3 years, down a 4th. Yep, lets can the guy. 

I won't deny you that Butch Jones would probably have never led Tennessee to a National Championship. Nor am I saying Schiano would have. But canning one average coach after one bad season and revolting against a better average coach says a lot as to why Tennessee is now going after option numbers 5, 6, 7, so on so forth yet again. It appears impossible to please Tennessee realistically. 

27 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I counted Kelly, Frost and Gundy but it's irrelevant, 3rd or 4th is same difference. And Mullen is probably fine but he makes some limp **** coaching decisions at times(like punting on 4th and short vs Bama instead of going for it and trying to win the game) that would really grind my gears.

Fact of the matter is it's Bama and everyone else in the SEC. Well. Bama and I guess Auburn who has these weird championship runs every 4-5 years. But mostly Bama.

Makes me want to shoot myself.

I don't think there's ever been anything credible linking us to Gundy. At most, we gave him a call. Hell, we probably called the agents of Chris Petersen, Nick Saban, etc. There's no harm in gauging interest in reach candidates. Frost was a Nebraska guy the whole way. Has nothing to do with Florida. Only guy we lost out on is Chip. And I think that has more to do with Chip than Florida. I don't think he ever intended to come here. He just saw us as a means to leverage what he wanted out of UCLA.

I'm happy with Mullen. He won 2 NCs with us as our OC, and the team wasn't the same when he left. He took the Vandy of the West and made them competitive in the best division in CFB. If he can have the Vandy of the West on the cusp of beating Bama, I feel good about what he can do for us. There's probably some post hoc rationalization here, but I really was good with him even before the whole Chip mania. We need a proven coach to get this program back on track (the homer in me will say that Mullen's worst case scenario is Mark Richt at UGA). Mullen has proven himself in the SEC. And he actually convinced talented kids to go to Starkville. That says a lot. Plus, I really like the staff he's putting together. John Hevesy and Billy Gonzales are huge hires for us.

Personally, I think UGA and UF are soon no longer going to be welcome mats for Nick Saban. Hopefully, y'all end up feeling similarly good about your hire.

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

1. Exactly. Schiano may have a checkered past to an extent from years past, but the dude has a tone of respect from other coaches. Because 99% of people never know what goes on behind the scenes, inter-coach respect carries a ton of weight.  

To me that would of also lead to him developing a damn good coaching staff around him. He might of not been the best Overall HC but he might be the HC who could of built the best coaching staff. That is something a struggling program needs. UT crapped the bed on this one. Hopefully they eat this bowl of crap for awhile for being so over righteous and thinking their program is so much better than what it really is. 

Archived