College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

9 minutes ago, Phire said:

Oregon peaked under Chip Kelly and have been irrelevant since. At FSU you'll compete every year. There's access to too much elite talent at a school like FSU, which is partly why Jimbo is under fire for the under-performance. Programs like Oregon and UCLA need to capture lightning in a bottle to be relevant.

California is also loaded with talent - Mora failed to capitalize on that for the most past, Chip will not. 

10 minutes ago, Phire said:

Oregon peaked under Chip Kelly and have been irrelevant since. At FSU you'll compete every year. There's access to too much elite talent at a school like FSU, which is partly why Jimbo is under fire for the under-performance. Programs like Oregon and UCLA need to capture lightning in a bottle to be relevant.

UCLA needs to capture lightning? I don’t think so. Cali has a great talent bases for recruiting, just like Florida. They also can sell location to recruits. It’s all about coaching and Kelly can be very good for them. When you look at elite schools you don’t see them winning with  mediocre coaching. Ohionstate had the issue with Cooper, USC had it before Carrol and now after. Bama had it before Saban. Texas now and so fourth. 

UCLA has the ability to be legit, just need the coaching to unlock it like every other top tier program has done. Don’t see a program carrying bad coaches...

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

UCLA needs to capture lightning? I don’t think so. Cali has a great talent bases for recruiting, just like Florida. They also can sell location to recruits. It’s all about coaching and Kelly can be very good for them. When you look at elite schools you don’t see them winning with  mediocre coaching. Ohionstate had the issue with Cooper, USC had it before Carrol and now after. Bama had it before Saban. Texas now and so fourth. 

UCLA has the ability to be legit, just need the coaching to unlock it like every other top tier program has done. Don’t see a program carrying bad coaches...

Cali has great talent but a school like UCLA will be competing with other top dogs in the state. It's not just about FSU being in Florida. FSU has dominated recruitment in the state of Florida and has been pulling talent out of Georgia, Texas (Marvin Wilson), Alabama (Jameis), and elsewhere (Cam Akers). There's a lot of work that Chip will have to do at UCLA and it's not a given. Whereas a competent coach could waltz into Tallahassee and instantly have a roster full of top recruits from around the nation. I don't see how UCLA is a more desirable job than FSU at all. 

8 minutes ago, Phire said:

Cali has great talent but a school like UCLA will be competing with other top dogs in the state. It's not just about FSU being in Florida. FSU has dominated recruitment in the state of Florida and has been pulling talent out of Georgia, Texas (Marvin Wilson), Alabama (Jameis), and elsewhere (Cam Akers). There's a lot of work that Chip will have to do at UCLA and it's not a given. Whereas a competent coach could waltz into Tallahassee and instantly have a roster full of top recruits from around the nation. I don't see how UCLA is a more desirable job than FSU at all. 

LA >>>> >>>Tallahassee

11 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

FSU and UCLA are miles apart in my view in terms of the appeal and prestige of the head football coach jobs. 

FSU recruits for itself. At UCLA you have to be a competent recruiter. 

Agreed.

That being said, I think Chip @ UCLA >> Anyone but an absolute homerun @ FSU for now

I would agree that all things considered, UCLA doesn't have FSU's pedigree. But as it stands, UCLA just hit an absolute homerun and, only taking into account projections as of right now, stands to see their stock possibly soar. It's a bit premature, but I'd say UCLA's stock is probably trending the highest it ever has in relation to the rest of the PAC12. FSU, with Jimbo, has been stuck in neutral. They need a kick in the rear. If the right guy lands there, it could easily be a grand slam. 

Chip Kelly makes UCLA more attractive than UCLA makes itself.

FSU makes itself attractive. They need the right guy now. 

I think UCLA has all of the ingredients to really elevate as a program moving forward. The difference right now is that FSU has already reached that next level and then some. UCLA isn't a bad job by any means and I think the right guy and a good run could put them in elite status within a decade. That program has a ton of potential if unlocked. But again, FSU has already done that.

At the end of the day, I would probably take UCLA with the California recruiting grounds, LA, lower immediate expectations, and relative fluidity of the Pac12 over FSU. Not because FSU isn't a better job, but the potential without the pressure could make it more attractive to some. 

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Agreed.

That being said, I think Chip @ UCLA >> Anyone but an absolute homerun @ FSU for now

I would agree that all things considered, UCLA doesn't have FSU's pedigree. But as it stands, UCLA just hit an absolute homerun and, only taking into account projections as of right now, stands to see their stock possibly soar. It's a bit premature, but I'd say UCLA's stock is probably trending the highest it ever has in relation to the rest of the PAC12. FSU, with Jimbo, has been stuck in neutral. They need a kick in the rear. If the right guy lands there, it could easily be a grand slam. 

Chip Kelly makes UCLA more attractive than UCLA makes itself.

FSU makes itself attractive. They need the right guy now. 

I agree with everything here.

USC being inconsistent really helps Chip as well. 

If Jimbo leaves, I could see the next FSU coach struggling unless it's a big name coach. It would be bad timing for FSU. Miami is back and Florida just made a great hire with Mullen that might get them back on track. And Georgia is trending upwards and will likely grow their presence in Florida recruiting. 

22 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Someone get this man a top level job. The press conferences. wow.png

We already have that guy: Mike Leach. And he's actually a good coach to boot.

But hey, you can always fire Harbaugh and hire Kiffin. None of us will try to stop you. xD

Archived