College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

13 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Doesn't everyone consider FSU a top-10 job?  Why does it always seem like he has one foot out the door?

For most people it is. At one point, it was Jimbo Fisher's #1 job. It just isn't anymore. 

It's kind of like Saban and LSU. I won't say LSU is as good a job as FSU, but most guys wouldn't leave LSU for another HC job either (absent some situation like Harbaugh's connection to Michigan or something akin). Saban left a job he could have still been at for a broken down Miami Dolphins team. Now, I understand the allure of the NFL in this case. Point is, Saban saw it as a new opportunity and something different. 

In the instant case, Jimbo Fisher and FSU just aren't made for each other anymore. I don't think it diminishes FSU's desirability or Jimbo Fisher's overall reputation as a coach. 

I do agree with a few of the other posters though that Jimbo's waffling has made it difficult to like or empathize with him. FSU is a good enough program that they deserve better than that from whoever the coach may be. It's like a semi-amicable divorce where one spouse has the papers on the kitchen table but doesn't want to move out of the house until they find a new spouse. 

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

But he has quit. He's out the door. Literally everybody knows he's out the door. How is it respect to keep on against a creampuff then the second that game is over go "okay well I hated it here so I'm leaving". These kids aren't idiots, either you're staying or you're leaving. If you're gonna go, go. Don't **** with me and my time and my future and everything because you can't be happy where you're at. It would be one thing if this was the first time, but he's done this since his current seniors were all true freshman now, enough is enough.

His waffling and inability to just state his intentions has already hurt recruiting.

It doesn't matter if they know he's out the door. He's going to see them through to the end. Scott Frost is out the door too. You still respect your team enough to not bail on them during the season (excluding bowl season because they have weeks to prepare).

And I bet he hasn't quit. He's still doing his job through the ULM game.

As for recruiting, what he's doing doesn't change anything. They were going to take a recruiting hit no matter when he left.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

At this rate they are going to have to go after a hot name from D2 or a high school coach.  No one with some actual pull is going to want to go head that delusional fan base.

The funny thing is that Kiffin would turn down that job in less than a minute. You know he has his sights set higher or somewhere more stable. 

12 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Doesn't everyone consider FSU a top-10 job?  Why does it always seem like he has one foot out the door?

He's been here for 11 years (started as a coordinator). Went through a nasty, scandalous divorce, and his youngest son has a rare genetic problem that from everything I've read, will prevent him from living a long life. He's been through lows and highs (National Championship). The fact that Jimbo is in all likelihood leaving isn't an indictment on the quality of the job at FSU. It's more that he's been here for a long time and both camps can use a fresh start at this point. His message has been getting stale. Relations with the new athletic director (the last one who Jimbo had a great relationship with passed away last year) and dealing with boosters etc. etc. get strained over time.

I'm personally ready for the spread/tempo offense at FSU.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

Jimbo is making a HUGE mistake is he leaves for A&M.  A&M is a good job but it's so overrated.  FSU is easily the better job to me.  Screw that.

The move isn't about the quality of the job.

Archived