The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

sure it's all opinion. I don't disagree with anything you really said. But one thing that has to also be taken into account is that patriot assistants will always be offered jobs. It's just a fact of the NFL. Which means that the NFL always looks favorably upon patriots assistants. It's just one of those things that we should all keep in the back of our minds. For saying similar things about Matt Patricia. And then right after similar things about Brian Flores. Thing I always notice is it's always that the next guy is gonna be different from all the others when it comes to that whole Patriots coaching tree thing

The thing I will say in agreement with what you said is that he was very young. And like I said from an offensive standpoint strictly is that he's a direct match with what we already have. which to me is the silver lining. 

Difference in him stepping into this job now is the roster is set up well for him as a coach. Versus stepping into a team coming off a losing year. The locker room is tight. They have leadership in place. He's not stepping into a bad team void of talent (despite what 'ol Franklin double Firearms has to say). 

That makes it a lot different in my view. 

Tafur: Josh McDaniels is not the favorite for the Raiders job anymore, and the latest on the GM search

McDaniels apparently had been calling coaches around the league about putting together a staff, but it appears something happened in the last 24 hours. League sources don’t know if the issue was about compensation or the power structure in Las Vegas or both, but it seems Ziegler and McDaniels are not the leaders in the clubhouse anymore.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t know about that. I think Mark just knew already he wasn’t hiring Rich. 

it seems like he wanted Josh McDaniels the whole time tbh. Where I get that from is there as soon as the season was over us they're already reports about the Dave Ziegler guy. That showed me they want to do the patriot thing. Use Mayo did the field and Rooney rule. And then they did the Todd Bowles/Spytek combo as a backup and then the Dodds more of that "in case we get Harbaugh" GM prospect

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Have we even spoken to Harbaugh? Lots of interviews seemingly happened without info leaking, but you'd imagine Harbs camp would be telling the world in order to gain more leverage.

Just seems disappointing if we truly haven't had an interview for him. 

John U Bacon, Michigan's foremost insider never put the odd over 70/30 of him returning to Michigan. 

It all feels like a rumor that went viral and there was never as much to it as we all wanted. Still holding out faintest amount of hope, but it's looking like a lost cause. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

it seems like he wanted Josh McDaniels the whole time tbh. Where I get that from is there as soon as the season was over us they're already reports about the Dave Ziegler guy. That showed me they want to do the patriot thing. Use Mayo did the field and Rooney rule. And then they did the Todd Bowles/Spytek combo as a backup and then the Dodds more of that "in case we get Harbaugh" GM prospect

I think missing out on Dodds will be looked back on with supreme regret by this franchise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Tafur: Josh McDaniels is not the favorite for the Raiders job anymore, and the latest on the GM search

McDaniels apparently had been calling coaches around the league about putting together a staff, but it appears something happened in the last 24 hours. League sources don’t know if the issue was about compensation or the power structure in Las Vegas or both, but it seems Ziegler and McDaniels are not the leaders in the clubhouse anymore.

This is from a couple days ago. Then yesterday Vic changes his tune that McDaniels might be a lock. 

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This came out 24 hrs. before they requested the interview that is happening tomorrow. Proving once again,Vic is a bit of a rube. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

John U Bacon, Michigan's foremost insider never put the odd over 70/30 of him returning to Michigan. 

It all feels like a rumor that went viral and there was never as much to it as we all wanted. Still holding out faintest amount of hope, but it's looking like a lost cause. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47gn4tw23x5quowmhu8w

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Have we even spoken to Harbaugh? Lots of interviews seemingly happened without info leaking, but you'd imagine Harbs camp would be telling the world in order to gain more leverage.

Just seems disappointing if we truly haven't had an interview for him. 

You don’t interview Harbaugh. It would destroy the prestige of a school like Michigan if their long time HC is interviewing elsewhere. You either like him and offer him the job or you don’t. You know what you’re getting with Jim and don’t need an interview. Plus Mark and Jim already know each other very well. 

Harbaugh has already made his interest well known to the Raiders through third party outlets. It is no question Jims camp leaking this to media outlets and beat writers. 

Jim definitely wants to coach here. It all depends if Mark is interested and he might not be. Theory would be he doesn’t wanna shell out another 100M contract. Jim is going to want the biggest coach contract in NFL History, bigger than Gruden.

Edited by BayRaider

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This came out 24 hrs. before they requested the interview that is happening tomorrow. Proving once again,Vic is a bit of a rube. 

I didn't notice it was dated 26th.  My bad.

But that was funny.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Difference in him stepping into this job now is the roster is set up well for him as a coach. Versus stepping into a team coming off a losing year. The locker room is tight. They have leadership in place. He's not stepping into a bad team void of talent (despite what 'ol Franklin double Firearms has to say). 

That makes it a lot different in my view. 

Now THAT is a good point. That is the one difference that I see between him. None of the other guys inherited a playoff team. 

Although with that being said, the Broncos had a squad when he took over for Mike Shanahan(who I thought shouldn't have been fired in the first place but was happy about it because I'm a raider fan) and that was the first time I actually saw the whole patriot assistant formula where they come over and then the good players start wanting to leave or get treated and then things just start going haywire. I could see that happening here is what worries me the most.

Also, I'm going to be hot if they transition to a 3-4 and Max Crosby is not a good fit. I don't think they have the front to be able to run that. The only one who really translates is Solomon Thomas as a 3-4 DE. Linebackers wise I think Perryman could work and then all of a sudden Kwiatowski look good again(he was a ILB for the bears in a 3-4). Littleton was also at his also played in a 3–4 somehow. So he would basically need a NT, another 3-4 DE and A 3-4 EDGE assuming maxx Crosby works out on the other side. 

In terms of the defense of backfield they would probably favor a split safety lock with Man coverage playing corners. Trevon Mullen could do well in that scenario but Casey Hayward's out so you would need another corner. Abram would be out because he can't play split safety but I think Trevon Moehrig would flourish because he's a better fit for a split safety look. 

But that's all assuming we do the wink Martindale thing. If we go Gerard Mayo things could be the same with Man coverage and a split safety look which I'm actually all for. 

22 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You don’t interview Harbaugh. It would destroy the prestige of a school like Michigan if their long time HC is interviewing elsewhere. You either like him and offer him the job or you don’t. You know what you’re getting with Jim and don’t need an interview. Plus Mark and Jim already know each other very well. 

Harbaugh has already made his interest well known to the Raiders through third party outlets. It is no question Jims camp leaking this to media outlets and beat writers. 

Jim definitely wants to coach here. It all depends if Mark is interested and he might not be. Theory would be he doesn’t wanna shell out another 100M contract. Jim is going to want the biggest coach contract in NFL History, bigger than Gruden.

Do you really think MD gives a ****