Week 6 GDT: Denver Broncos (3-2) vs Las Vegas Raiders (3-2)

bMiller031

This shows how desperate the team is for gamebreaking speed:

Don't get me wrong, Brown fits the bill - but he's been very injury prone, and more importantly, he's got sickle cell trait.  So playing in altitude is a bad combo.  It's a big reason why he had to leave Arizona.   Still, it's a vet minimum signing - but that's a move when you have no other alternatives, given the likelihood of injury with Brown to begin with, and then the slow recovery that our altitude poses for him (and the fact he can only play on a pitch count - still, any help is appreciated here).

The gameplan for Vegas will be easy on offense.

-Throw to Waller....throw to waller...throw to waller.....throw to Edwards......throw to Edwards....throw deep to Ruggs

On defense.

-Don't go deep with the safeties , TB will throw between 5-15 yds.

-Pressure inside

Not sure how the Raiders are going to respond with all that has happened this week. Can't imagine they've been locked in all week due to the distractions. Or what they will look like under a new play caller. Or what game plan they've looked to install. 

Defensively, Denver runs a similar defense to LA and Chicago who the Raiders struggled with. The Oline is terrible. Getting pressure with 4 and stopping the run should come easy. If Denver can limit turnovers and control the ball they should win. 

Maybe the Raiders come out a little more aggressive this week with a refreshed eye on the offense, but that might be asking a lot. 

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Not sure how the Raiders are going to respond with all that has happened this week. Can't imagine they've been locked in all week due to the distractions. Or what they will look like under a new play caller. Or what game plan they've looked to install. 

Defensively, Denver runs a similar defense to LA and Chicago who the Raiders struggled with. The Oline is terrible. Getting pressure with 4 and stopping the run should come easy. If Denver can limit turnovers and control the ball they should win. 

Maybe the Raiders come out a little more aggressive this week with a refreshed eye on the offense, but that might be asking a lot. 

Honestly expecting this game to be low scoring and sloppy all around.

Aside from the game itself, the Raiders losing this week cost me approximately $15,000. This is a total sidebar, but I did a straight up pick-em pool on DraftKings last weekend. Picked every winner correctly except for the LV/CHI game. The ten people who got every pick right took home like $150,000 each. If LV won, it would've been a nice payday for a $25 entry. Still won $300.

All that said, I especially hate LV this week for costing me that money. Broncos by a TD lol. That's my hard hitting analysis.

• Like 4

The Raiders fans didn't seem to agree when I said it in their forum, but Gruden's style of playcalling matched really well against us. Their run game is (or, was?) very similar to what the Steelers ran against us last week.

A ton of runs with interior lineman going straight to the 2nd level. Only way to stop this is disruptive DL's making plays in their 1v1 matchups, loading the box with Safety help to have unblocked men around the LOS, or your OLB's gambling their way into the backfield.

Gruden would then sprinkle in shot plays to Ruggs and Waller off Play Action. We've been so susceptible to this type of Offense in the past.

Trying to contain a move TE and a deep threat is very, very difficult. You want 2 deep Safety looks to contain the deep threat, but that leaves you susceptible underneath for crossers from the move TE.

As others have suggested, you can try a CB (like Surtain) on Waller, but then you're light in the run game. Waller isn't an All Pro blocker, but he's willing and Surtain made a couple of business decisions last week in the run game even on the outside.

If we get out early (for once), force some 3rd and longs for a change, we have a shot. But, if we get owned (again) in time of possession by giving up 3rd and 2's (again), it's going to be yet another dull watch.

12 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The Raiders fans didn't seem to agree when I said it in their forum, but Gruden's style of playcalling matched really well against us. Their run game is (or, was?) very similar to what the Steelers ran against us last week.

A ton of runs with interior lineman going straight to the 2nd level. Only way to stop this is disruptive DL's making plays in their 1v1 matchups, loading the box with Safety help to have unblocked men around the LOS, or your OLB's gambling their way into the backfield.

Gruden would then sprinkle in shot plays to Ruggs and Waller off Play Action. We've been so susceptible to this type of Offense in the past.

Trying to contain a move TE and a deep threat is very, very difficult. You want 2 deep Safety looks to contain the deep threat, but that leaves you susceptible underneath for crossers from the move TE.

As others have suggested, you can try a CB (like Surtain) on Waller, but then you're light in the run game. Waller isn't an All Pro blocker, but he's willing and Surtain made a couple of business decisions last week in the run game even on the outside.

If we get out early (for once), force some 3rd and longs for a change, we have a shot. But, if we get owned (again) in time of possession by giving up 3rd and 2's (again), it's going to be yet another dull watch.

The problem is the Raider interior Oline is arguably the worst in football. Their backs are seeing first contact before getting back to the line of scrimmage. 

Not sure what they will do differently on offense with Olsen calling plays, but the Oline is simply not built to do much of anything LG to RT. I look for Denver to win up front and the Raiders offense to remain stagnant. 

It’s kinda sad Raider fans and we are arguing on why our team Is more likely to lose this week.   How far we’ve both fallen.  

We all knew the 3-0 starts for both teams weren’t the real indicator given how bad the competition was but wow.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It’s kinda sad Raider fans and we are arguing on why our team Is more likely to lose this week.   How far we’ve both fallen.  

We all knew the 3-0 starts for both teams weren’t the real indicator given how bad the competition was but wow.  

I’m surprised by their pessimism.. if nothing else they should be confident in their ability to move the ball. They have receiving threats on all 3 levels with Ruggs, Renfrow, and Waller, a versatile back in Jacobs, and a top 12-15 QB in Carr. 

In the spirit of continuing this morbid competition, I think they have far less reason to be cynical than we do 😉

6 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I’m surprised by their pessimism.. if nothing else they should be confident in their ability to move the ball. They have receiving threats on all 3 levels with Ruggs, Renfrow, and Waller, a versatile back in Jacobs, and a top 12-15 QB in Carr. 

In the spirit of continuing this morbid competition, I think they have far less reason to be cynical than we do 😉

And they got rid of their worst GM in recent memory (Gruden was the defacto GM & HC, Davis even admitted it today).   Given some of the draft struggles they had when Al Davis was still alive, that's saying something.   The wasted draft capital under Gruden's term is staggering, even compared to the past Raider GM tenures.

The big diff I see from even 1-2 weeks ago is Jacobs is playing a LOT better - he's been battling turf toe.  That's a major problem for us.

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Yikes. Is it vanity or greed that would lead Mayock to accept a GM position w/out majority control of personnel decisions? 51% might as well be 100.

Mayock had no FO experience.  It was always Gruden in charge, this was his way to get into the GM game.   Draftniks with no FO experience don't get hired.   GM Lynch at least had playing experience, and was recognized as a bright football mind by execs and former players/coaches.  

TBH, Mayock gets lucky - he'll likely get at least 1 draft to make his bones, and he can lay all the failures at Gruden's feet for the past 3 years.    Davis has $ issues, so he's not going to fire him prematurely.      He may fail badly, but at least he gets to be the guy in charge.  Which honestly, is the way it should be.  We used to say that Belichick was the only guy who could pull off the HC/GM dual job well - even that looks VERY iffy now.

Edited by Broncofan

17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Mayock had no FO experience.  It was always Gruden in charge, this was his way to get into the GM game.   Draftniks with no FO experience don't get hired.   GM Lynch at least had playing experience, and was recognized as a bright football mind by execs and former players/coaches.  

TBH, Mayock gets lucky - he'll likely get at least 1 draft to make his bones, and he can lay all the failures at Gruden's feet for the past 3 years.    Davis has $ issues, so he's not going to fire him prematurely.      He may fail badly, but at least he gets to be the guy in charge.  Which honestly, is the way it should be.  We used to say that Belichick was the only guy who could pull off the HC/GM dual job well - even that looks VERY iffy now.

And Lynch is, at best, the co-GM with Kyle, according to what they’ve both have said publicly.

But according to SI: Obviously, Shanahan is the one that steers the ship. He is the captain and Lynch is second in command. 

19 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Lol, reminds me of that episode of south park where all the kids are trying to lose their baseball games so they don’t get stuck playing all summer.