Week 7 GDT - Indianapolis Colts at San Francisco 49ers: The revenge of Jimmy G

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Did Kyle tell you that? :)

We'll see what happens next week. Either way, looking forward to it. 

Did Kyle tell me that? Yes, along with the whole world with his comments. Did not commit to Jimmy starting when asked multiple times and then said there is "a lot to figure out." Reality has finally set in and he knows this is not a contending team and actually a bad team at the current moment. He's going to go with Lance and develop him as he plays him and hope he is ready to take the next step in the following season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did Kyle tell me that? Yes, along with the whole world with his comments. Did not commit to Jimmy starting when asked multiple times and then said there is "a lot to figure out." Reality has finally set in and he knows this is not a contending team and actually a bad team at the current moment. He's going to go with Lance and develop him as he plays him and hope he is ready to take the next step in the following season. 

That's belief. Belief isn't proof no matter if many, many people believe in something. Which is fine, as that should go without saying for anyone's opinion regarding the status of a sports team. :)

He didn't commit to Lance either afterward. I'd like to see Lance at this point myself, but I'd still like to hear it from the bawse hog himself in a definitive statement, not thinly veiled remarks that can be left up to personal interpretation, which was my reaction when Kyle answered two questions about the QB situation. Don't think it's too much to want to wait to hear "Trey will be our starter". Might hear it tomorrow. Seems like you took his comments as something more definitive regardless. Hope you're right as a change is warranted, but we shall see. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Not with those contracts

So at what point does the seat start warming up then?

They haven't played well all season, Kyle seems to be outcoached on a weekly basis and drafting hasn't been out of this world either.

1 hour ago, DTMW78 said:

So at what point does the seat start warming up then?

They haven't played well all season, Kyle seems to be outcoached on a weekly basis and drafting hasn't been out of this world either.

It's getting warm but Kyle has his job for another year. 

I would say they both have it for at least another year. But if things don’t then around personnel wise and we’re staring down mediocrity again next year (worth noting, we’re not mediocre now, I’m assuming we improve a little bit), then yeah, someone is going to go. I’m assuming It would be mayhew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

I would say they both have it for at least another year. But if things don’t then around personnel wise and we’re staring down mediocrity again next year (worth noting, we’re not mediocre now, I’m assuming we improve a little bit), then yeah, someone is going to go. I’m assuming It would be mayhew.

Mayhew is already gone. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John232 said:

Well then! Fire..the janitor?

I mean, if they really want to improve the organization then it’s probably Lynch for Peters or similar. It’s impossible to tell the extent to which Shanahan and the coaching staff get their way with top draft picks, and it’s also very desirable that the FO and the coaching staff work in harmony. But there is a consistent theme of the organization as the whole really jumping on picks early that are specifically beloved by the coaching staff and being extremely blasé about the assets used to acquire those players and the place that they were/are expected to be taken in the draft. It’s been there since day one of the regime. Name a guy. CJ Beathard, Joe Williams, Dante Pettis, Javon Kinlaw, Trey Sermon - the list is long. The same is true for some major FA acquisitions. Weston Richburg, Kwon Alexander. At least there aren’t so many of these. There is also a coinciding theme of later picks, UDFAs, and budget FAs identified mostly by the lower FO being really useful players. There’s too many of these to name, really. 

It would require humility and giving up some control on Shanahan’s part. The first might end up happening. He really does seem to internalize some lessons from losses. He doesn’t have as much of the in-built ‘everything is fine’ and excuse making that more Nagyian coaches have. Still remember him during the rough first year looking burnt out. But the second - man. Giving up control has been hard for every coach with some serious personnel power. If Shanahan falls off with us, he’s going to be a very useful asset for a different organization with fewer responsibilities. Unless his ego continues getting the better of him.

• Like 1

@JIllgagreed. One of the other concerning aspects..is the relationship with Jed. Full disclosure, I think Jed York’s process with this regime has been very sound. He got a coaching staff and FO that wants to be on the same page. They have had far more successes with this current regime then they have with any previous staff, sans Scott and Jim.

I do worry though that they are all far too buddy buddy. Reminiscent of Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown, though even then, Lewis was a far superior GM and had a more consistent record.

Jed has to be able to make the hard calls. If that’s means firing the FO, so be it. If that means taking personnel power away from people, so be it. Jed does not come off as stupid or uninvolved and he’s been put through the ringer, so I think he’s up to it, but he’s gotta make the right changes within this staff or it’s going to crumble real fast in the coming years. We’re already seeing it now.

• Like 1

I don't think we have any shot at playoffs and that talk should go away. But moving to Trey is going to create a spark on offense. He's going to have his issues but the pressure he puts on defenses with his running ability will spark the passing game. 

Time to bench Brunskill, play Moore or Banks idc. Make the change on offensive line. 

Bench Norman, cut Dre Kirkpatrick. Start demo and activate Ambry Thomas. 

Of course start Lance rest of season, but be smart with his running usage.

I totally think Kyle was going to run a full on two QB offense. He designed it and implemented it during training camp to then abandon it. I'm not sure if Jimmy complained or what. I think this teams identity was never going to be known until we moved on from Jimmy. I think we can easily go 8-9 or 9-8. Feel optimistic about 2022. Right now the team is just stuck in a rut and it's hurting everyone's confidence. 

Hello.

I'm an outsider (but I come in peace, I brought you all bagels) and I am just curious as to what your thoughts are on Shanahan and generally what is going on with this team? They had so much hype coming into the season.

Just wanted to hear fan perspectives.