Week 7 GDT - Indianapolis Colts at San Francisco 49ers: The revenge of Jimmy G

J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Hello.

I'm an outsider (but I come in peace, I brought you all bagels) and I am just curious as to what your thoughts are on Shanahan and generally what is going on with this team? They had so much hype coming into the season.

Just wanted to hear fan perspectives.

Josh

Okay, so some thoughts on the game, first with some stuff from the Colts side:

-Jonathon Taylor is phenomenal, he really is. The way he is able to slide to get away from the incoming defender was something else. He's just very smooth and explosive. Definitely one of the top backs in the league.

-Wentz showed the advantage of having a bigger, strong mobile QB. There were at least three or four occasions were the D-lineman got their hands on Wentz and he was just able to shrug them away and make a play. He made some questionable throws but even in the bad conditions, he was able to get the ball down the field and allowed his WRs to make a play or got a DPI out of it (more on this later).

-The Colts OL is really good, they completely took Armstead out of the way and our edge rushers did not have the success they usually have. Good performance by them.

-Pittman was someone I really liked coming out and he showed out in a big way. He can beat you vertically, can make tough catches and is a beast after the catch. Heck of a player. 

Now on to the Niners. The first offensive drive started out great with a bootleg pass to Samuel coming across the middle and a whole a lot of Mitchell. Shanny was putting receivers in motion and running misdirections where Juice was able to get out to the LB and Mitchell would make one cut and just go. It was as good of a drive as you could hope for to start the game. So what changed after that? Well, the Colts started to bring their safeties a bit closer to the LOS, they stopped biting on the fakes and started getting more aggressive to stop the run. For the life of me, I could not understand why more play actions or bootlegs were not called as it was there all game long with the way Colts defense was playing this offense. It was called like three consecutive times in the 4th quarter on that one drive and it led to a TD. Anyways, one of the biggest things that popped out to me was just how weak the ball was coming out of Jimmy's hand with little to no velocity. The ball just floats and it looks even worse when you compare it to Wentz's passes. He gets no juice on his throws and the Colts knew where he was looking to go with the ball. Got fortunate when he tried to throw it to Deebo on a crosser and did not see the underneath WR...Which is a regular theme for #10.

We all know Jimmy is limited but one thing he did so well in 2017 and 2019 was convert on 3rd downs and keep the drives alive. That has all gone by the wayside now. THIS was his big advantage over Lance, being better in these types of situations. But if he is not even doing that now, then what is the point of playing him? Shanahan has lost complete faith in him and it was embarrassing that he did not call a timeout right before half before the Colts scored off of Deebo's fumble. Then we had the ball with like a minute and three timeouts and he calls three run plays to run off the clock. Unbelievably bad and he showed he pretty much has no confidence whatsoever in this offense. I mentioned Deebo's fumble, but this man is seriously something else. Just plays with a different level of physicality and is a great football player. Such a shame we are wasting his great performances on a weekly basis. 

Earlier in the post I mentioned the DPIs and they were definitely a killer for the defense. But I have been calling taking deep shots for an eternity now because this is what DBs do! They panic when the ball is in the air and they will grab and pull and get a penalty called on them. The way the Colts DBs were playing our WRs, you could have called a deep shot almost every other play but that is just something Jimmy cannot do. Moseley really had no business committing a penalty on his as he had great coverage and was in great position but for some reason grabbed Pittman. But I will give him a pass since he otherwise had a great game. Dude is just GOOD, no other way to put it. Week in and week out he shows out and holds his own. He had like 3 or 4 PDs and should have two INTs. Definitely a reliable #2 going forward. Norman on the other hand had a little rough game. Got beat early on and was just a step slow at times. Made a great play forcing the fumble early on but his worst game of the season. The DPI that Tartt committed was because he caught on a bit late to Moseley passing off the WR and then he tried to catch up and it was too late. All season long this secondary has been committing too many DPIs and they are starting to cost the team big time. Some of it is going to come just naturally playing more man coverage but they just have to do better. The pass rush as I mentioned earlier was not great so that did not help but you cannot commit these penalties on 3rd and longs. Just unacceptable. 

Last thing, I wanted to pay close attention to Aiyuk and see if he is getting open or not....Well, the verdict is he IS getting open but Jimmy is not even looking his way. The play before Jimmy threw a INT to Rhodes, Aiyuk was WIDE open for an easy first down and instead Jimmy throws to Woerner who was tightly covered for a 3 yard gain. The following play he locks on to the WR (I think Deebo) and throws a INT when again he had an open receiver on the other side. Jimmy just flat out does not see the field well at all. Oh yeah, Shanny called a deep play for Aiyuk and he was WIDE OPEN but Dwelley could not hold up his block and committed a holding call while allowing the defender hit Jimmy. Somehow Deebo was able to make a great play out of it but the penalty took that away. It is flat out malpractice for Aiyuk to only get one target and not get any targets when he is getting open. 

Very little makes sense about this team right now but thankfully Shanny has finally let reality settle in. He now knows what he has in this team and knows what he has to do the rest of the way. For the first time he did not back Jimmy up and said he will see who is healthy before determining who starts next week...It will be Lance and we can possibly see a Lamar like impact like he did for the Ravens in 2018. He was not great and Lance won't be great early on either but he was able to make some plays with his legs, protected the ball better and the defense started to play better. All that can happen with Lance at the helm as well. Jimmy just has no chance converting 3rd and longs but Lance can do that. The areas Lance struggles at are areas he will continue struggling at until he gets more playing experience. This is now officially Lance's team and it is on him to see if he can rally the team and get some of the veterans on his side. 

Overall, the game was disgusting, the weather conditions sucked but still had fun lol. On to Chicago....

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Brandon aiyuk - 6 games, 9 catches, 96 yards, 1 TD

Dante Pettis - 2 games, 10 catches, 87 yards, 1 TD 😂

Basically next year when Aiyuk is on another team, he's about to have a 85 catch 1400 yards 10 TDs type of season??? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Basically next year when Aiyuk is on another team, he's about to have a 85 catch 1400 yards 10 TDs type of season??? 

Watching the game last night, I found myself wondering who ran the wrong route on that Charlie Woerner reception. I have a feeling Aiyuk and Woerner shouldn't have been that close to one another. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Watching the game last night, I found myself wondering who ran the wrong route on that Charlie Woerner reception. I have a feeling Aiyuk and Woerner shouldn't have been that close to one another. 

Wrong.

it’s called the “Jimmy Buffer” route tree. You run two guys to the same part of the field, off of play action. You have each receiver within 10 Ft of each other, one tries to catch the ball, the deeper one for the inevitable overthrow, or they both play defense. Brilliant tbh.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Jimmy said that it was not how the play was drawn up. He didnt elaborate but he basically said it was off-script. Same with the deebo touchdown that followed. That was not how it was drawn up. 

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

This Shanahan slander is getting a bit out of hand. Yes, criticize him for the 2-4 start and how he's handle the QB situation but to compare him to Chip? Good grief.

But here is the thing... Not slander. His record is just that bad. He brings it on himself. We can add context behind the record, but you can do that with the corpses of a lot of head coaches. At some point, the results have to matter

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Hello.

I'm an outsider (but I come in peace, I brought you all bagels) and I am just curious as to what your thoughts are on Shanahan and generally what is going on with this team? They had so much hype coming into the season.

Just wanted to hear fan perspectives.

Shanny is having a bad year from a game play/ calling perspective. Not anything to be concerned over though. It happens. I think coaches and play callers can have down years too. 

I do think that the team misjudged it's talent. Coming into the year, I thought we were wild card fodder, not really super bowl contenders. I think the team and shanny felt otherwise. I think he has very much bungled the entire QB situation, but I get what he was thinking. 

Shanny is in a weird spot. 100% fair to criticize his player evaluations and certainly worth while to question how he's developing players. If you canned him, he'd be the top choice for just about any team hiring someone.  

I don't know, tbh. Hard to have a ton of trust in him right now. I honestly have no idea what's going on with the way he is handling young guys

• Like 2